The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Finaaly got a 3rd phone and it runnning ICS 4.0.3 and working nicely.

How do I shut off auto update, I do not want it to update to 4.0.4 again.

also my family has different phones and report that after the upgrade to 4.04 ICS they having SOD issue.

I have tried all fixiesposted here, even the fix I posted because i thought it fixed my phone but was wrong.

So I have a 3rd phone that att sent me with 4.0.3 and running good.

Please tell e how to uncheck the auto update

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Here is another follow up:

In almost 4 weeks, my phone shut down only once! (as opposed to several shut downs a day before that).

In my case, I disabled all AT&T applications and I only turn on wi-fi (or GPS) when I need it.

Ziad

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Again an update. 48 hours. No problem yet. At least up to now, happily enjoy the power of ICS w/o any problem. Happy.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I know its a pain... but for those that are saying their phones now work, take the extra minute to say what you did to make it work.  even if its just copying and pasting from your last post.

I have also had the problem since upgrading.  I have turned att apps off, the clock, this and that and no luck.  Today I had it re-flashed with 4.04 at the ATT store because thats all they said they could do.  I explained the problem and she would/could not roll it back to 4.03.  Its only been about an hour or two, but we'll see.  In addition, I also disabled most of the apps that appeared to be ATT ones and the additional clock app.  I was getting 1-3 SOD's a day, I know it hasnt worked for others, but I will post up if/when the problem continues.

The service person also said that she had not heard of the problems before and I told her that there was plenty of information on the ATT website about it!  I know what I was saying was falling on deaf ears, but at least I tried.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

After the reflash from ATT, My phone kept on trying to update an ATT phonebook, which I did not want it to do. It would pop up once in a while and I was not able to uncheck the sync button since it was greyed out.

Called ATT and the guy did some voodoo over the phone and said I would need to wipe it (again) and they would re-install 4.04 again since there might be a corrupt file... again. If that didnt work, it was probably a phone issue and it would be replaced.

I explained that it was a problem with 4.04 and not the phone. So looks like I will be upgrading to 4.03 myself. No SOD issues, but its only been a few hours.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Greetings all,  Two points.   I checked back into this thread as it is check marked as solved.   I do not see any official problem solved statement from AT&T or any do this kind of direction from same.  Today, after charging my phone to 100% I got in my truck and after sometime I noticed that my Bluetooth connection was not working.  Sure enough the phone had entered the dreaded sleep of death.  I rebooted the phone, which was now at 85% charge by the way, when low and behold I see the Android Dude spinning on my screen with the words Android Updating.  I was going 55 MPH at the time so that's all I saw.   Rebooted my wife's phone when I returned home in hopes of seeing it on her phone no such luck.   SO.......is there an official fix????   Did anyone else see an Android update screen today?????

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

This thread is marked as "solved"? I didn't notice that. That's pretty funny. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

hi there,

why is this thread marked as solved? there is no solution so far... please go ahead and mark it appropriate. thanks.

palani

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Reflashed with 4.04 at ATT service center and disabled any running applications that looked like ATT.

So far its been 24 hours without SOD. I have only loaded a few apps I needed and changed a few settings other than killing Att apps. Only problem remains to bethe ATT phonebook updating by itself and no way to stop it or turn it off. Doesn't seem to slow anything down, I just see the sync icon for it once in a while.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Add me to the list of users with this problem.

"Customer Support" has replaced my battery twice.  The second time was a month before my warranty expired, obviously because they knew it was cheaper than replacing the phone or fixing the problem.  I put up a fight about it stating it was the second battery, and that they should replace the phone, but I was told it was the protocol they had to follow before a new one would be issued.

When I complained a few weeks later about thesame issue, they basically was told too bad, you're out of warranty, contact the insurance.  The "best" they could do was to offer me an upgrade.  I did neither.

AT&T is well aware of this issue, so the bait and switch of replacing batteries when they know there is another problem  is inexcusable.  I, and others, have been with them far too long (former Cingular customer), and the GSii was the only reason I broke my staying off contract and signed for two years.  I'm sorry I did.

When my contract is up, I will consider another carrier.  In the mean time, this issue needs to be fixed.  If I'm going to pay the insurance $199, I may as well go to Walmart and buy the Straight Talk that runs off AT&T for $299 and get a new phone.  Why have insurance if you're paying that much out-of-pocket?

Sign me,

Taken-for-a-Ride Consumer

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.