The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

My S2 as well as my wife's S2 started shutting down by ltself in the recent 3 weeks... Really annoying as i missed few calls as well as morning alarms!!! Called customer care and they said they have power recycled and connected to a new network and this should solve the problem...... Nothing fixed it! Still we are seeing the problem.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

@jamileh, I think we all appreciate the fact that you have come here and told us that AT&T and Samsung are working on the issue. However, it is quite obvious that this is a big problem and from a paying customer viewpoint, AT&T isn't giving it enough attention.

Just to give you some examples of the kinds of issues this bug causes for us CUSTOMERS:

1) I had to be to work early this morning. On a typical day, I wouldn't worry too much about my alarm not going off because I would likely wake up on-time anyway. I was concerned last night and at about 4am I woke up, so I check my phone...it was frozen. For next 2 hours I barely slept because I kept thinking about that P.O.C. phone.

2) I was running late getting home from work. My wife had asked me to stop at the store. As I walked into the store I sent her a text message asking if there was anything more she needed. When I got home, I realized my phone had frozen and I never got her text. Now I am the P.O.C. who didn't get what was needed.

You see, AT&T and Samsung all want us to buy into this crazy image that we NEED these phones to live our lives. We pay hard earned money to be able to afford them and use them on a network that isn't always the best for us, but we deal with the negatives. WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH A P.O.C. SYSTEM UPDATE THAT BREAKS OUR PHONES.

You know what I would love to see? AT&T going back to $15 minimum data plans at 200MB. I would also love to see a NO DATA Plan option for Smart Phones that are no longer under contract. I'm pretty sure that will never happen and it probably won't cause me to switch carriers, but this P.O.C. system update and AT&T's lack of caring about it will.

end rant

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I got tired of my phone SOD-ing every few hours.  I missed calls, texts, and alarms...  Flashed to AOKP JB 4.1.2 and am loving it so far.  No bloatware, just a pure Android System... Smiley LOL

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I heard most 3rd party ROMs won't support MHL (usb-to-hdmi) or 64 GB microSD cards.  Can you comment on these and other items that you've found not to work in your new ROM, please?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Here is one possible solution I am trying now. For about 18 hours, I didn't see the issue again.

It seems like it's power down/idle related issue per all the postings up to now. So I tried to overwrite the power down/saving scheme by:

Settings/Power saving/Custom power saving - ON

Custom power saving settings/Power saving starts at - 10% battery power

The thing I tried to achieve was by setting above configs the auto power saving/power down is not activated and only activated when there remains ony 10% of battery. I hope it overwrites the power saving mechanism that triggers the death. For the last 18+ hours I haven't got any issue yet. Hope this is the workaround of this issue.

Thanks!

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@Hchoi_293726 wrote:

Here is one possible solution I am trying now. For about 18 hours, I didn't see the issue again.

It seems like it's power down/idle related issue per all the postings up to now. So I tried to overwrite the power down/saving scheme by:

Settings/Power saving/Custom power saving - ON

Custom power saving settings/Power saving starts at - 10% battery power

The thing I tried to achieve was by setting above configs the auto power saving/power down is not activated and only activated when there remains ony 10% of battery. I hope it overwrites the power saving mechanism that triggers the death. For the last 18+ hours I haven't got any issue yet. Hope this is the workaround of this issue.

Thanks!

That sort of makes sense... and is worth trying. Good idea. I do know that, one time, mine froze up over night while it was charging. So, that would rule out the power saver feature as the culprit.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Mine froze once 30 minutes after taking it off the charger at 95% + so I doubt it will be a 100% fix. Might help for when the power drops. Mine just became too random, didn't matter what my battery life was it might go dead for no reason.

Would love to see everyone that has not had the sudden death in over 3 weeks to post what their solution was.

For me, almost 4 weeks, no SOD & I haven't restarted. Rooted and rolled back to stock 4.0.3. Only AT&T apps disabled or forced closed. I did not uninstall any updates.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

OK... add my voice to the chorus!!

I actually caught this after only having the phone for 6 months so I have already had them send me one new phone.

The new one was made in Korea... the first one in China.

Upgraded to ICS Android (4.0.4) and that is ALL I did.

Both phones have been the "CLK3" build after ICS upgrade.

It worked fine for 2 weeks... like the first one... then started doing this.

I honestly think it is caused by something ATT is pushing down to the phone when we are not looking and they know it and won't admit it cause they don't know how to fix it.

So...

Currently testing disabling the following apps:

the "0 memory" clock, Dual Clock, FaceBook, both Social Hub apps, Movies... last 3 cause I just don't use them.  Yes, there are stil people on this planet NOT on FaceCrook  :O)

I am leaving WiFi off unless I am using it... and this was the case before so unless turning WiFi off still leaves something running in the background, that is NOT the problem.

Synch is off as well.

I turn on GPS only when using it as well.

I only have a few months left on warranty so I'll give it a week or two and report back.  Then, yep, they are going to send me new phones every couple of weeks until the warranty expires or they admit the problem and fix it. 

Why not... missed calls and dead phones are a MUCH bigger issue to me than a dozen phones are to A$&$.

Stay tuned...

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Just a status update: About 24+ hours, for the 1st time in the last couple of weeks, the phone is OK w/o any shutting down. Before this, my phone sometimes went to dead during idle, during even charging, during even 1 minute idle, etc and it became worse and worse. But now after config power saving as posted earlier, it's still ok. I tested idle, charging, etc and looks ok. I don't know the details but it seems like this customized power saving option blocks the dead mechanism. Hope it keeps going on. I will keep updating.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I don't use a 64gb microsd, my 32gb one works fine.  I do not use MHL either..  sorry.  Google Play is working fine after installing gapps.  Had to install Flash 10 from the .apk, but other than that, the oether GP apps installed from the web just fine.  I've only been running it for about 24 hours now, so I'll check back in periodically and let you guys know if I find anything that isn't working as expected.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.