The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

This worked for me:

1. Settings, factory data reset. Back up before doing this. I thought it would reset to GB but it reset to ICS 4.04

2. Reinstall my apps.

3. Delete any battery saving apps like Juice defender or battery indicater apps.

4. Uninstalled updates, cleared data and then disabled all ATT apps like Att Smart wifi, code scanner,family map, hot spots navigator, Qik lite, social hub, google play books magazines movies and tv and google+, Live TV , Movie hub. i dont use any of those apps anyways. Also delete any apps you don't use. Why have them if you dont need them.

I can't think of anything else I did. I havent had a SOD for over a week now!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I tried everything to fix the SOD's on 4.0.4, and concluded it is not possible.  Don't have time to wait for AT&T/Samsung to fix it - very disappointed in them.

I've had the SuperNexus ROM running for week now, and it is wonderful! The phone runs better than it ever has: absolutely stable, and everything just works. No crapware, just Nexus jelly bean goodness.

I'm using the SuperNexus ROM (JB 4.1.2, build 5, not the newest one with JB 4.2.1.   The newer one seems to be working through a couple of issues, and I just need reliability.

It was a little stressful for this amateur to learn and complete the root/ROM process, but well worth it. Guess I can at least thank AT&T for forcing me to learn to hack my phone.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

i found this on XDA Forum.

after update 4.0.4 my phone now goesinto SOD(sleep of death)

heres what i learned.

@dmtucker wrote:

I tried everything to fix the SOD's on 4.0.4, and concluded it is not possible.  Don't have time to wait for AT&T/Samsung to fix it - very disappointed in them.

I've had the SuperNexus ROM running for week now, and it is wonderful! The phone runs better than it ever has: absolutely stable, and everything just works. No crapware, just Nexus jelly bean goodness.

I'm using the SuperNexus ROM (JB 4.1.2, build 5, not the newest one with JB 4.2.1.   The newer one seems to be working through a couple of issues, and I just need reliability.

It was a little stressful for this amateur to learn and complete the root/ROM process, but well worth it. Guess I can at least thank AT&T for forcing me to learn to hack my phone.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Go into settings menu and ckick applications,
click the all tab
find the clock app, the one that come defualt on s2, not one from play store
there will be 2 entries of the same clock app
both have a disable buuton, but one may be greyed out.
click the disable button on the clock app were it is active, then go to other clock app and click clear data
now reboot phone.

It appears that the update caused a 2nd appearance of the clock app, causeing havoc and and worlwide hysteria.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Without doing anything different to my phone, suddenly it is auto-syncing again with my home bluetooth and no SOD for the last several days. Battery is also draining at a "normal" rate again. Anyone else notice sudden improvements?

I did what angeleye50 said to do too, just in case that improves things too.

I'll update again in a few days to see if everything is still working well.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

YES - I am having a string of good days also. It's been 5 or 6 days with no freeze-ups. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Wow, my phone stayed at 100% for 4 hours while in standby mode and is still at 98% at 5 hours.  I did not do anything different than any other day when the battery would be down to the low 80's% or worse by now, except disable the one clock this morning that angeleye50 recommended.

Still no SOD.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I disabled the clock but my phone still crashed.

Jelly bean released in Spain, wonder when it will be released here ?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

My money says you will NEVER see Jelly Bean for the AT&T Galaxy SII.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

It's important to AT&T that in addition to NOT helping customers with issues like these that NOBODY ELSE be permitted to help, either! At least not on their official forum.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.