The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

It would be REALLY nice if AT&T kept an easily findable repository of legacy firmware such that a user could rollback an upgrade. 

My last ROM worked out well, but don't think I clicked "start" easily.  In the back of my mind I wondered if the ROM I was flashing had malware.  Even when I found the ROM, I did a lot of checking to see if the site seemed legit.  This is my first Android phone, I've never rooted a phone before, but the fact that there are so many versions floating around out there reminds me that we must stay cautious, and little paranoid.

There should be somewhere which doesn't take hours of searching to find how to roll back an upgrade.  Offering only to "fix it soon" isn't enough.  Luckily, forums like this do provide ways to learn about workarounds.

Now I'm feeling a tad remorseful; if there is such a repository, I never found it, and I did lots of searching, mostly to little avail.  If there is such a repository, my apologies for ranting. 

Mark

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Great news that AT&T may have a fix coming.  Will be even nicer if its a Jelly Bean rom with no issues.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Got my phone working great really impressed with battery life and so glad it doesnt shut down.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Today was the worst instance of turning off and battery drain so far. Left for work with battery at 100% and 7 hours later the phone was off and when I rebooted it it was at 2%. Not a single thing was running in the background at all. No WiFi, no Bluetooth, no data, nothing.

What a terrible time for this to happen - just when all my siblings are here from out of town for our Mother's big birthday and it may be the last time the entire family is ALL together - and my plans for taking lots of photos and videos was foiled! Arghhhhhhh!

I hope Samsung is very busy with a fix. I'm trying to be patient.

If someone has found a real solution that doesn't involve rooting my phone or any other unadulterated fix, please post what you did. With my luck, if I tried to root my phone I'd probably brick it.Smiley Frustrated

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Linda Jo, the only real fix seems to be wiping the phone and rolling back to 4.0.3. Mine has worked perfectly for 6 days now. Not a single restart. Battery life has been decent, I start using mine at 6:30am and all this week by 10:30pm I was still usually around 30%. Last night it was 15% but I had some heavy use. Depends on how much I use it which is usually a lot since Its my work phone too.

How you get back to 4.0.3 is the major problem. I've read that some have gotten the AT&T repair centers in their town to do it, Most have had to do it themselves. We shouldn't have to resort to this though, but right now I'm pretty happy with my phone again. You don't have to root the phone to do this but it is pretty technical.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 wrote:
Linda Jo, the only real fix seems to be wiping the phone and rolling back to 4.0.3. Mine has worked perfectly for 6 days now. Not a single restart. Battery life has been decent, I start using mine at 6:30am and all this week by 10:30pm I was still usually around 30%. Last night it was 15% but I had some heavy use. Depends on how much I use it which is usually a lot since Its my work phone too.

How you get back to 4.0.3 is the major problem. I've read that some have gotten the AT&T repair centers in their town to do it, Most have had to do it themselves. We shouldn't have to resort to this though, but right now I'm pretty happy with my phone again. You don't have to root the phone to do this but it is pretty technical.

Thanks for that feedback ablan59. I have a repair center that I can get to, but I am really reticent to wipe my phone and set it up again. It's taken quite a long time to cusomize EVERYTHING after the last wipe a few months ago 🙂

The other trade-off - I'm afraid if I have to reinstall all of my downloaded apps, I'll end up with all of the updates to the apps I chose not to update because they got such bad reviews.

It's something I'll have to think about - is it worth the trade-offs.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I feel your pain. If the repair center will do the roll back on the rom, they may have a way to copy all your stuff back over but not sure. The apps do stay on Google Play so even when they are wiped, you only have to reinstall the ones you want and they will be the latest version. Contacts can be backed up on Kies or I have all of mine sync with my Gmail too. If rooted, Titanium Backup can do all of this I am told. Good luck!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Hey guys,

New to the forum....... was looking for solution to this annoying problem!

Shuts off atleast 2 times a day.Some good days and some really bad days. Hopefully samsung and ATT will come with a fix soon.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

They're working on it. See post #98.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Like everyone else, I've been suffering with the sleep of death.  This morning I took my phone off the charger and noticed what appeared to be yet another SOD power off. As standard practice, I held down the power button until it restarted and headed off to work. I pulled out my phone a little later and noticed the home screen had frozen. Judging by the clock widget, it had been that way for a little more than 30 mins. Again I held down the power button and waited for it to restart, only this time the screen just went black. Now I cannot get the phone to power on no matter what I do: remove battery, let charge via wall plug, swapped batteries with another phone, etc.. I am not sure what else to try. Any ideas or is my phone bricked? All of this with the ' *official* 4.0.4. What a joke...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.