The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

11 years ago

My S2 after grabbing a bunch of ATT updates from the google app store started randomly turning off. The device was working fine before the updates on 4.04. I just unistalled all the updates on the att apps, and hopefully the device will stop powering off with the battery being half drained as already reported. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

See message #70.

Forgot to mention that my phone no longer auto-syncs with my bluetooth home phone. I have to do it manually.... constantly, because the phone keeps shutting itself off more and more often recently and it has to be re-synced with every reboot.

Let's all call AT&T and ask them to push JB and make sure these issues are addressed in the JB update.

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

11 years ago

Just an update that my S2 is no longer randomly shutting off or having the half drained battery issue after I unistalled all the recent updates to the ATT apps. 

Do not allow your S2 to update any build in ATT apps (ones by ATT) as the ATT apps seem to be the issue (at least for me) that caused the random reboots on the device with the battery issue.   My handset has been working great for almost 24 hours since i unistalled the updates for ATT apps!  

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@desiguy wrote:

Just an update that my S2 is no longer randomly shutting off or having the half drained battery issue after I unistalled all the recent updates to the ATT apps. 

Do not allow your S2 to update any build in ATT apps (ones by ATT) as the ATT apps seem to be the issue (at least for me) that caused the random reboots on the device with the battery issue.   My handset has been working great for almost 24 hours since i unistalled the updates for ATT apps!  

Give it more than 24 hours and get back to us. I had already uninstalled all updates to all ATT apps weeks ago. The phone still randomly shuts off and no longer auto-syncs to my home bluetooth phone. It was all working great with long-lasting battery power (when not playing games), until the OTA ICS update from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 in December.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I reflashed my phone back to 4.0.3 late Saturday night & rooted it.  Almost 24 hours later I have had zero shut downs.  Monitoring the battery to see if it holds up as well as it did on 4.0.4, but I'd rather have to recharge than my phone be off and not know it.  Will report back in a day or two how this is going.  

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

11 years ago

So hows the fix working for you?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

48 hours in and no shut downs at all.  My battery is showing 89% and has been running since 6:15am this morning.  So right now, I am loving my S2 again.  

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 wrote:

48 hours in and no shut downs at all.  My battery is showing 89% and has been running since 6:15am this morning.  So right now, I am loving my S2 again.  

Where did you get the 4.03 stock rom at?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I took my phone back to an AT&T Device Center and they flashed it back to 4.0.3 from 4.0.4. I'm back to my original problem where wifi wont reconnect after sleep, but that's far better than having the phone "die" in its sleep!

What a HUGE disappointment this all is. It takes AT&T 6 months to cr@p up a new Android release and then they fix one thing and break another. I'm sure version 4.0.7 will fix the "sleep of death", but probably at the expense of breaking the transmission of all data, or something equally trivial (:rolleyes). Sigh.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Scroll up on this thread and you will see a post with the details. I tried to post it but evidently the moderators here didn't like me posting.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.