The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am also facing the shut down issue ever since they upgraded to android 4.0.4. AT&T does not agree that it is their firmware issue.

They told me to get the cell phone factory reset. That does not help Either, since I tried that too. I wish AT&T provides an update to jelly bean. Expecting some good response from them since it is really very frustrating to get ur cell phone shut down missing crucially calls.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

According to a posting on AndroidCentral forums, disabling AT&T Smart WiFi (and possibly some other AT&T apps) fixes this issue. http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/236934-4-0-4-update-2.html#post2497871

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

My shut downs got a lot better after I did a master reset restore.  Went almost two days solid without a shut off.  Battery life has also been much better.  Last night I disabled all the AT&T apps so I'll see if this helps too.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same problem with my Galaxy SII phone. However if I keep the power button pressed for a long time (about 10 seconds) it shuts down so that I can start it again, that way avoid opening up the battery. The battery life used to suck before but now this new problem is insane. I have missed important calls because of this. I think the new update to 4.0.4 is causing this but not sure. Is there any fix for this?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same issue.  I don't have that much at all running on my phone but this is real annoying.  Does anyone have a fix or have you heard from AT&T on how to fix it.  I don't think I can switch phones because this is a work phone and they make me keep it for 2 years.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Same issue here, called/chat with the support tech and we are doomed, they do not have an answer and they are not willing to do anything, my cell is 1 month out of warranty and that's enough to say we are not responsible.

They are trying to tell me that its Samsung fault, I told the guy, ATT approved the firmware and it was downloaded using the ATT update feature not  KIES or Samsung URL.

His best solution is to give me a FREE two year contract renewal.

I need a reliable patch or come on ATT release 4.1.X

What a joke ... but sure my bill is ready !!!

[Inappropriate content removed]

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I was finally able to get my S2 to stop rebooting... by taking the sim card out. It doesn't do me any good now, but it also doesn't reboot constantly.

Previously it didn't matter if I was in airplane mode, 3g, or 4g, it was rebooting. Without an AT&T sim card inserted, it's working like a champ. Go figure.

I'd like to see if this works for anyone else. It would certainly pin down the source of the issue to AT&T, it may also show that the root cause is a failing or corrupt sim card, which is much easier to replace than a phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My phone has been doing this since November it got worse after the last update! I called AT&T they decided to replace my phone, thinking that there was a glitch with my phone, however I don't think it was a glitch with my phone. I recieved my new phone on Friday, Today I started having the same issues, phone shutting down by itself. It just did it twice in a row and kills my battery each time! I;m so frustrated with this phone, I just want a new phone, but of course cant do that without having a upgrade til next year 😞

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Mine has done it twice today already.  I did forget to disable the AT&T bloatware apps so maybe thats why.  Each time you restart or reboot the AT&T apps will start back up so they have to be disabled again.  Still trying to figure out if the AT&T apps are causing the issue or not. I really don't want an Iphone again but they do seem to be trouble free and I need my phone to work as I use it in my business.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I finally think ive found the answer to mine shutting down did fix yesterday and so far so good if it continues to work i'll post the fix
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.