The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Exact same issue here on both my and my wife's phone. Started happening after the most recent update a couple weeks ago!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Same thing happening to my gs2 after the stupid OTA update .. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi,

I am having the exact same problems with my phone after the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade. But, as far as I know this is the last update that Samsung Galaxy SII SGH I777 (AT&T) is going to get. There will be no Jellybean upgrade for SGH I777.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I also am having the same trouble: random shut-offs while phone is asleep. I have tried nearly everything from deleting apps, new battery, factory reset, changing settings, etc. but the problem persists. sometimes its 3-4 times a day, some times its once a week.

I hope there is a solution because I am not happy with this.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I forgot to add: my battery level will drop 5 to 30% or so following each shut down. I also have noticed the problem doesnt seem to appear when wifi is disabled, but I am still testing. I have also noticed a rise in phone temperature during a shut down episode.

Any chance of a patch? either from at&t or a third party.

And from browsing the web, this problem seems to exist for all versions of the gs2 regardless of carrier. Perhaps its a Samsung hardware problem..?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Same EXACT issue....at least there's relief that it's not just me.  Pain in the rear though because I've missed phone calls.  Would love a fix to this problem ATT.......we pay you enough so get on it!

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Has anyone talked to AT&T on this??  They obviously don't monitor these forums or they might respond here.  Mine has been better after doing a restore but it shut off twice yesterday with no warning.  The last time battery life went from 45% to 15%.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I have contacted AT&T. Their suggestion is warranty/sending in the phone.

I would rather do that as a last resort. Or simply get a new, different phone.

Question: are you guys running anti-virus apps?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same problem.

Not sure when it started exactly, but seems after the latest OS upgrade.

Any resolution to this?

Ziad

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I am running Lookout, thats the only anti-virus type app that I have.  My warranty is out on my phone as its about 18 months old.  When I talked to tech support I had the feeling they might let me upgrade since I am eligible in March anyway.  But I really don't want to change phones, would rather this one work.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.