The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@SpartyOnK wrote:

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

It's probably not shut off, but in a "sleep of death" state.

Which build are you running?  I know Samsung's original I9100 Update4 kernel source release (ICS for the I9100) had some issues with SoDs.  I would not be surprised of UCLE5 has the same problems and more, as AT&T has a bad habit of taking Samsung releases and adding more bugs, never fixing the existing ones.  (For example, the UCLE5 build has a serious bug in the eMMC driver that can cause permanent unrecoverable damage to some phones if you do a data wipe/factory reset.  The damage probability is relatively low, but it is nonzero.)

BTW, holding down the power button for 15-20 seconds will reset the device without a battery pull.

Unfortunately, stock kernel builds do not support /proc/last_kmsg, a technique for analyzing crashes like this.  (If set up correctly, the device can save a log in memory of what happened prior to the crash or SoD.)

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My phone does the exact same thing, same make and model.  How did you fix it?  thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

My phone has just started doing the same thing.  Once or twice a day when the phone is idle or asleep I will find that it has shut itself off.   In order to get it to restart I've had to remove and replace the battery.  Today I did realize that I can restart it by holding the power button in for an extended time.  

There was an OTA update that downloaded to my phone late last week.  Prior to that upate I have not had any trouble or issues at all.  I'm very frustrated and hope to find an answer as to why this is happening and what I can do to fix the problem. I welcome any advice or suggestions.  Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

My phone has been doing the same thing ever since the OTA ICS update last week. It's starting to get very frustrating! Anyone have any answers?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am here for the same reason and come to think of it it started right after my OS update.  Anyone get any input from AT&T?  I have also been getting dropped calls?  The phone just goes right to my voice mail when someone calls me? And my phone is still on when this happens.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Same problem with mine after the 4.0.4 update.  I called AT&T tech support and they wouldn't admit there was a software problem.  They suggested I do a factory reset on my phone.  So, I backed up to Kies and made sure all my contacts were in my Gmail.  Reset phone.  I had a lot of apps that didn't come back over and a lot I didn't want to use anymore.  Since doing the restore I have only had one shut off in two days.  Before it was doing it 3 or 4 times a day.  Battery llife seems to be better too so far.  I'm pretty sure if I hollered more they would let me do an upgrade since I am due in March.  I'd really rather just have my S2 work like its suppose to.  So far its much better so we will see.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same 2 issues being discussed here, plus one more:

1) the phone shuts off when idle

2) wifi has to be turned off then on again to engage

3) phone calls that go straight to voicemail even when the signal is good and the phone is properly idling

The problems seem to occur more frequently following the most recent update.

I'm assuming the next OS release (Jellybean) will address this, but what's being done in the meantime?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

me too.  And.....my wife's phone does the same thing.  Driving us crazy

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I had the Wifi problem too but after I did the reset/restore it hasn't been an issue.  No problems with calls though. Today my phone shut down again for no reason, first time in 3 days so its better maybe but it still shouldn't be doing that.  Would be nice if AT&T would chime in here and give us some real solutions.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.