The Samsung Galaxy S24
RajCaj's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 2:44 AM

Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) Jelly Bean Update?

With the latest Jelly Bean update rolling out to the Skyrocket varriant of the Galaxy S2, all versions of the SGS2 have not recieved the Jelly Bean update, except for the SGH-i777 model. (Across all carriers, models, etc)

With that, I just wanted to check in to see if there are any plans by AT&T to update the model referenced above.

If so, any expectation when we can expect that?

If not, any information as to why not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm thinking we are not gonna get the update or get a response...

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Just to clarify from my previous post....what I meant to say was that it seems that ALL of the Galaxy S2 variants (across all US / International carriers) have been updated to Jelly Bean, except for the SGH-i777 version, initially released by AT&T.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I'm afraid that may be the case....

I understand wanting to protect brand image, etc.....but I'd prefer some bad information over none at all.  Guess that may not be the case for everyone.....as such, tier 1 support gives you the "we have no info at this time..." canned response.  (Atleast that's what I got from Samsung)

I'd be quick to chalk this one up to AT&T prefering I upgrade my account (and re-up my 2 year contract) to get the new version of Android, vs. getting by with my old S2......but the Skyrockets were upgraded (which released only months after the i777)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I asked and he told me "I would like to inform you that the Jelly bean update is not yet released for the device and the device is updated to latest version of the software released from Samsung; however, the device is listed in the list of the devices to get the Jelly Bean update soon and as the update is released for the other devices the update will be soon released for the phone."

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Firstly, please realize that AT&T is usually very slow in releasing updates. Hence no surprizes here.

Secondly, IMO you need to take into consideration the timing of the update of the various models. The Skyrocket is an LTE model and most likely people wont give it up as soon as the S4 is released. Therefore a JB update was rolled out to create the image that AT&T cares. The I777 is a couple of months older and not an LTE model. Hence AT&T prefers to tempt the I777 owners to buy either an S4 or tempt them with a low price S3. When this shift happens then we might or might not see a JB for the I777. If a JB for the I777 is in the works then I don't expect it to be released before the end of April or first week of May. By then AT&T will know how many I777 owner would have forced to buy an S3/S4 and commit for another 2 years to AT&T.

Again this is just my opinion and may or may not align with AT&T's thought process although I would be surprized if AT&T hasn't thought of that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Ya .. sad but true.  Apple has one thing right .. fragmentation is an issue. The guy I work with got a phone at the same time I did .. becuase of some sale at the time he go the SkyRocket .. so ya .. he's showing off his JellyBean .. no different models is one thing but really? .. they are BOTH Galaxy S2's ... this is just nuts

Google has the clout to fix this but I'm betting they will not .. and the last time I spoke to AT&T they insisted they had nothing to do with OS versions .. that was all Samsung ....

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

You could be right ... my "shift" is going to be right out of the AT&T camp .. not that they care .. which is really sad

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I read on some other forums that AT&T s2's were getting JB via Kies (meaning that the software is already there.) I tried it and nothing.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

only the S2 Skyrocket

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

google doesnt have the 'clout' so to speak. they actually have nothing at all to do with the update process. all they do is release a new version of android every year and the oems do with it as they please.

as far as att saying it is up to samsung or putting it off on samsung. it is true that they have to wait for samsung to release the code. samsung released the update for the international gt-i9100 version on mar 18th i think. it is the exact same phone as ours except for the mic swap. so att has the code. they got the code for testing before samsung released it to the masses. we should have it by now. its a two month testing process and that is it.

the skyrocket uses a different chipset and they already have it. so more work had to be done on it than the i777 in order to get it released. at&t claims that they will support capable devices for eighteen months as long as it is supported by the oem. they released the gs2 on oct 2, 2011. we should get this update. its just a matter of when. and if we dont... it is up to us to tell them they are wrong by using a carrier that will. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.