The Samsung Galaxy S24
RajCaj's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 2:44 AM

Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) Jelly Bean Update?

With the latest Jelly Bean update rolling out to the Skyrocket varriant of the Galaxy S2, all versions of the SGS2 have not recieved the Jelly Bean update, except for the SGH-i777 model. (Across all carriers, models, etc)

With that, I just wanted to check in to see if there are any plans by AT&T to update the model referenced above.

If so, any expectation when we can expect that?

If not, any information as to why not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks maxud.  I went back and checked.  The automatic rotate screen option had been unchecked for some reason.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

For some reason I am now experiencing the lower battery performance too.  Previously, after I made the changes in a previous post, I was getting more or less the same battery life that I was getting prior to the update.  Over the past few days or so, the battery life has been cut in half.

The only noticeable difference that I can tell is that the Android System is running higher than it was previously.  I just checked the Battery Usage and it says Android System has used about 41% of the battery life.  Previously I believed I was getting closer to 20%.

Any ideas as to what would have increased Android System?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just updated JB and everything seems to work fine untill i locked and then unlocked the screen, the screen rotates up and dont change till I restart the phone, Im tired of it, i've tried to restore but didn't work, anyone can help, please? 

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Can you describe what you mean by "the screen rotates up and don't change?" 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

This update is great! My phone was having a long list of problems with the previous ICS update, so I did a factory reset on my phone before updating to Jelly Bean to make sure I got a clean install. Every problem on my phone is now fixed and the UI improvements are excellent. I'm very pleased with this update.

My only complaint is that the autocompletion and predictive text with the keyboard seems to have taken a step backwards. Under ICS, the keyboard was amazingly forgiving with typos. I could type every other letter incorrectly in a word and the correct word would get inserted automatically as soon as I hit the space bar. With the JB update, it just inserts the whatever garbage I typed along with all my typos, even though I can see the correct word sitting in the first slot in the suggestion bar above the keyboard. 

I reviewed the keyboard settings and selected Predictive Text (which is turned on). A lot of the predictive text settings were turned off, so I turned them all on, but they don't seem to be working. For example:

Word Completion (supposed to complete the word after typing a few letters and hitting the space bar). It's turned on but isn't completing the words. My word completion point is set to 3 letters. It suggests the word to complete, but that's not the one that's highlighted, so when I hit the space bar, it just inserts a space after my incomplete word.

Spell Correction (supposed to attempt to remove any typos from my input). It's turned on but also not working.

Next Word Prediction (supposed to predict the next word I'm going to type based on my typing history). Again, it's turned on but not doing anything.

Auto Substitute (supposed to use the auto-substitute list to map patterns from the left side of the list to the words on the right side of the list. For example, change "dont" to "don't".) It's turned on but not working.

Recapture (supposed bring up the list of suggested words again as you backspace over a word) Turned on but not working.

Auto-append: I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but nothing seems to be automatically appending to any of the words I type, even though it's turned on.

Regional Correction: I don't care about this, so I have it turned off.

I tried rebooting, but still none of the Predictive Text features seem to be working. Is this working for anybody?

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

I've had the same issues with the keyboard.  But I thought it was somehow relayed to something that I did, like had a different keyboard that I lost after the upgrade.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Are you using the default Samsung keyboard?  

I'd suggest trying SwiftKey.  It's much better at predictions.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Are you using the default Samsung Keyboard?  I use SwiftKey, which is much better at predictions.

Also, have you noticed that after the JB update, the default application settings get wiped after each reboot?  This includes the default keyboard (so it defaults back to the Samsung keyboard, and I have to switch it back to SwiftKey each time after a reboot), default browser (I use Chrome).  It basically seems like all default applications get reset after a reboot.  I haven't been able to find anything online that explains this.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Samblackjack,

Yes, I'm using the default Samsung Keyboard. Thanks for the referral to SwiftKey. If I can't get the predictive text to work on the Samsung keyboard, then I'll give it a try. Quite honestly, I was very happy with the predictive text using the Samsung keyboard in ICS though. Even in JB, I can see that the predictive text is adding the correct words into the list of word suggestions above the keyboard, it's just not automatically taking advantage of them like it should unless I manually select it from the list. It's behaving like predictive text is turned off, even though I have it turned on.

I haven't experienced the problem you described with default application settings getting wiped after each reboot. I also use Chrome as my default browser, and it continues to act as my default, even about rebooting a few times with the JB update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

could someone explain how i can update the samsung i777 to the jelly bean 4.1.2?

thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.