The Samsung Galaxy S24
RajCaj's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 2:44 AM

Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) Jelly Bean Update?

With the latest Jelly Bean update rolling out to the Skyrocket varriant of the Galaxy S2, all versions of the SGS2 have not recieved the Jelly Bean update, except for the SGH-i777 model. (Across all carriers, models, etc)

With that, I just wanted to check in to see if there are any plans by AT&T to update the model referenced above.

If so, any expectation when we can expect that?

If not, any information as to why not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This update is awsome..project butter has resulted in better touch and control. Even Camera has improved. Overall really happy with 4.1.2 update. Thanks AT&T for finally releasing it. Now waiting for 4.2 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I upgraged my GS2 to the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 more than a week ago, and so far I love it. The upgrade using Kies was very smooth. After the upgrade that I made last December from ICS 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, my phone was having several problems like the sleep of death, a lot of black images showing up when I used the gallery, ringtones duplicated, and my ringtone been reset. After I installed the ICS patch on March, the sleep of death issue was solved, but the other issues related to the ringtones and black images remained. Finally, after I installed the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on June 14, those issues were solved. I am glad that AT&T provided this Jelly Bean 4.1.2 upgrade to the original GS2! Although the phone response is a little bit slower and the battery drains a little bit faster, I have no big issues like the ones experienced with the upgrade on December. I am happy with the way my original GS2 looks and feels after the upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

The update seemed to go fine on Friday from amsung Kies, but discovered that I was getting spotty email.  the reason I was getting spotty mail coverage was the data connection is not there.  wifi and phone are fine, but even after checking and unchecking everything that makes sence and many restarts, the wireless data is no longer working.  I am not sure what to try now.  It prety mutch kills the navigation, text, mail and other key apps.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Me too. Usually it last the whole day. Now, a fully charged battery barely last half the day. And I mean using it very lightly. As in few text her and there.

Do we have a solution for this battery drain problem?

Also my texting will stop and all entry will disappear. Message will pop that the messaging has stopped. I will reset it and it will work again.

AT&T staff please help....Thanks.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Any word on battery drain? I can't do anything for more than a couple hours away from a charger. I'm getting 7 hours max standby time. If I actually use the phone it drains much faster.

Anyone know what "com.sec.android.providers.downloads" is? This kept my phone awake for 45 minutes overnight.

I am also having the SD card problem, it unmounts everytime my screen turns off. It always comes back (so far anyway), but I have to wait for it to reinstall the card. This probably isn't good for the battery either. I have sent a private message to AT&T about this, but haven't received a response.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

I think the main reason for increased battery drain after the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update is because some sync/update services are turned on by default.  So check all your apps for automatic updates and adjust the frequency and type of update.  This might include apps like Google+ (timeline, photos), Dropbox, Gmail/other email.  Also, check your accounts sync to make sure that you're only syncing items you use and want to sync.  By default, when you add a Google account, every sync options (mail, calendar, photos, magazines, movies, music, etc.) are all enabled.

If you're still getting battery drain, check your battery itself to see if it's bulging at all.  I took a phone to an AT&T device service center for something else, and the rep saw my battery and told me I need a new one because the old one was bulging out due to repeated heat/use/recharge.  It was about a year and a half old and already out of warranty, but they gave me a new battery free of charge.  It's cheaper for them to give you a free battery and have a happy customer.  So you may try to get a new battery.

Not sure about the SD card issue. Could it be loose or something? Mine only remounts when I restart the phone.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the tips.

As for the battery, I turned off auto update for all apps. Hopefully that will help, but they should only have been updating on wifi which I am not on most of the time. My sync options are the same as they were before the update. I have most of the AT&T and Google apps disabled.

The battery isn't bulging that I can see.

My SD card has never been loose before update, I took it out and reinserted to be sure, now it won't remount at all. Joy.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

@Blackdog112 wrote:

My SD card no longer works in the phone.  The phone doesn't see it and, if I plug the phone into my computer the computer doesn't see it in the phone either.  Interestingly, if I take the card out of my phone and put it into the card reader on my computer the card works fine.

Blackdog112, did you get a fix for your sd card problem? This is what mine is doing now.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

No. I don't have a fix.  I sent a PM to customer support just a few minutes ago.  Hopefully they can help.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Just an update.  I did a hard reset this morning.  2+ hours later I have my phone mostly set up again how I had it.  The SD Card still is not recognized by the phone.  So don't bother with a reset if that's your only problem.

Hoping the reset will at least make my batter last like it did with ICS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.