Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Message 35 of 266 (23,222 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

Do you think AT&T and Verizon are going to one up the other carriers and push 4.2 ?

 

if they do that, it would greatly satisfy S3 user's. I think we can all agree to that.

Message 121 of 266 (8,983 Views)
Guru

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?


LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

Do you think AT&T and Verizon are going to one up the other carriers and push 4.2 ?

 

if they do that, it would greatly satisfy S3 user's. I think we can all agree to that.


Not a snowball's chance in Hades (the filters wouldn't allow me to use the other H word) of that happening. 4.2 had major bugs, and Google is already pushing out 4.2.1 to the Nexus devices to fix them. The way AT&T works, don't expect 4.2 until summer 2013, if at all.

Message 122 of 266 (8,966 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

Every OS has bugs. Look at Apple's 6.0 release. They knew it had bugs and released it anyway. My point is that don't always expect that updates won't be pushed because of reported bugs. I totally understand your point, but at this rate I would take 4.2 with bugs over ICS any day now.

Message 123 of 266 (8,910 Views)
Guru

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?


LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

Every OS has bugs. Look at Apple's 6.0 release. They knew it had bugs and released it anyway. My point is that don't always expect that updates won't be pushed because of reported bugs. I totally understand your point, but at this rate I would take 4.2 with bugs over ICS any day now.


I would as well. However, Samsung hasn't yet released 4.2. When they do, the unlocked international versions of the GS3 will get it first, and the U.S. carriers, specifically AT&T and Verizon, will get it several months later (they'll have to "test" it). Take my word on it...as much as I would love to have 4.2 on my GS3, the only way that'll happen any time soon is through installing a custom ROM.

Message 124 of 266 (8,803 Views)
Tutor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

I read that AT&T and Verizon have not put out the JellyBean update due to iPhone sales being way down, I guess they figure if they hold off iPhone sales will go up. SG3 is already top seller with ICS, it will be a blow to iPhone when Jellybean hits. Both carriers are also in with Apple, where Sprint and T Moblie are not (They have Jellybean update, cough, cough) Also right now Apple has a lawsuit against Samsung. All of these might play a factor in the update waiting game. Why Apple has to sue everyone, I don't know. Android with ICS is nothing like iPhone with IOS imo...I have had the iphone 3GS and the 4S, and Switched to the GS3 over a month ago, and I'm loving it! I like that I have a choice on what I do and can do with my phone. If you think this wait for Jellybean is so bad or the GS3 is so awful, then go get a iPhone and have Apple control everything. There IOS on i5 is almost the exact same as i4 and i3...That's why there's so many disappointed iPhone 5 users, that are switching to the GS3 or another phone.

Message 125 of 266 (8,533 Views)
Voyager

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

[ Edited ]

deleted

Message 126 of 266 (8,533 Views)
Professor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean


Chilagurl wrote:

I read that AT&T and Verizon have not put out the JellyBean update due to iPhone sales being way down, I guess they figure if they hold off iPhone sales will go up. SG3 is already top seller with ICS, it will be a blow to iPhone when Jellybean hits. Both carriers are also in with Apple, where Sprint and T Moblie are not (They have Jellybean update, cough, cough) Also right now Apple has a lawsuit against Samsung. All of these might play a factor in the update waiting game. Why Apple has to sue everyone, I don't know. Android with ICS is nothing like iPhone with IOS imo...I have had the iphone 3GS and the 4S, and Switched to the GS3 over a month ago, and I'm loving it! I like that I have a choice on what I do and can do with my phone. If you think this wait for Jellybean is so bad or the GS3 is so awful, then go get a iPhone and have Apple control everything. There IOS on i5 is almost the exact same as i4 and i3...That's why there's so many disappointed iPhone 5 users, that are switching to the GS3 or another phone.


I doubt that what you read is true, as it wouldn't make much sense.  Most customers that are choosing between a Galaxy S III and an iPhone won't know the difference between Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean in the Android world.  Even if they did know the difference, they probably wouldn't care as the sales person would assure that customer that a Jellybean update will come to the Galaxy S III soon.

 

Second, how is Sprint not "in with Apple", when they have a $15 billion commitment to sell iPhones over four years with three remaining on that agreement?

 

Message 127 of 266 (8,417 Views)
Contributor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Is anyone thinking that maybe AT&T and Verizon are holding out on the jellybean update so they can say that the iPhone 5 is better? Both AT&T and Verizon have special iPhone plans that put more money in their pockets per person, so that was something I think they may be doing. If they upgraded the S3, it would be by far the best phone on their networks, but if they dont update it then they could say the iPhone has a newer operating system and is therefore better. Just throwing my two cents in.

Message 128 of 266 (8,294 Views)
Mentor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

I just got my S3 a couple of days ago. I'm coming off an Infuse where I upgraded to several different JB builds. Although the S3 is a lot faster it feels like I'm going backwards a little with the OS. The LTE speeds are insane though.

 

I spoke with ATT AND Samsung. Samsung told me they've already given ATT 4.1 a while ago. What the heck? So what's the wait??? I spoke with ATT and the guy told me that they're planning on skipping 4.1 and going to 4.2. I asked him when? He went silent. I then asked in a month or so? He said yeah about a month. Yeah right.

 

It's pretty sad that ATT can't get their crap together and roll out a new version. They have to get all their Bloatware dialed in or something. Who cares about the end user right? We're locked in to 2 years so what do they care?

 

From all the talk and ATT's past track record of releasing updated ROMs, a "month" away is probably closer to 4-6 months away. I think I'll have to go with a custom JB ROM in the meantime. The last I checked for the Infuse XDA development section they already had a beta 4.2 for download!!!

 

Isn't there a way to put this lameness on some social media and blow up ATT somehow?

Message 129 of 266 (8,195 Views)
Teacher

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

I checked the samsung website I registered my phone it shows the at@t android platform as 4.1 jelly bean but when you try to update OTA or Kies nothing is available.
Message 130 of 266 (8,168 Views)
Teacher

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

I think that it's pretty odd how many of us received different answers from AT&T reps in regards to both the version number and release date. This just really ticks me off because we all know that at the very least the developers at AT&T know what the deal is and this clearly states AT&T doesn't care about the end user at all. does AT&T ever respond to these posts? If so, will I get some half ***** response like the one from the other rep saying AT&T is aware? Really? 

Message 131 of 266 (8,148 Views)
Guru

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

I think that it's pretty odd how many of us received different answers from AT&T reps in regards to both the version number and release date. This just really ticks me off because we all know that at the very least the developers at AT&T know what the deal is and this clearly states AT&T doesn't care about the end user at all. does AT&T ever respond to these posts? If so, will I get some half ***** response like the one from the other rep saying AT&T is aware? Really? 


I've posted a while back (either on this thread or one of the other JB threads) that AT&T has already sold us the phone and locked most of us into a two year contract. I got the phone the week it came out, so I still have about 20 months left on my contract. Of course AT&T doesn't care about updating our phones - they already got our money and will continue getting it for at least another 20 months!

 

Don't ge me wrong, AT&T's service quality has been top notch. I get signal just about everywhere, and LTE is simply incredible. However, I am disgusted with the way they treat their devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a flagship device, as well as one of the best selling phones in the world, yet AT&T finds it perfectly acceptable to withold an important update for no reason. It's already been released in most of the world, as well as by T-Mobile and Sprint in the U.S.

 

Obviously, there are no issues with it.

 

What's the hold up, AT&T???

Message 132 of 266 (8,093 Views)
Mentor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

At&t rated worst in customer satisfaction again by Consumer Reports. Is anyone even surprised by this...

http://m.gizmodo.com/5964175/att-is-the-worst-carrier-again-says-consumer-reports
Message 133 of 266 (8,070 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[I posted the following on XDA as well.]

 

This new note is now appearing on AT&T's Wireless Support section (https://www.att.com/esupport/article...id=f_Z83wxKcS0).

_______________
Update the Firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S III (i747)

Advisory:

The Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS update for Samsung Galaxy III is available from Android, and AT&T will have the update available for our customers in the very near future.  The currently available software update provides device improvements and ISIS certification, and can be downloaded over Wi-Fi.
_______________

Probably nothing but today is the first time that I've seen them mention Jelly Bean here.

Also probably nothing as well, but I noticed this morning when selecting Settings > About Device > Software Update > Check for updates no longer has the 24-hour restriction set prior to checking for new updates again. Now, it's down to less than an hour or even ~45 minutes. Something on the horizon...?

Message 134 of 266 (8,059 Views)
Mentor

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

My phone still has the 24hr restriction. There's a way to bypass it, I use to do it with my Captivate all the time, but I can't recall how at the moment.

Message 135 of 266 (7,990 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.