Ask a question

    Reply
    Posted Nov 14, 2012
    9:18:22 AM
    Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

    18,674 views
    265 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    Post reply
    View all replies
    (265)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 10:50:21 AM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher

    Do you think AT&T and Verizon are going to one up the other carriers and push 4.2 ?

     

    if they do that, it would greatly satisfy S3 user's. I think we can all agree to that.

    Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

    121 of 266 (8,533 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 11:02:19 AM
    0
    (0)
    Guru

    LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

    Do you think AT&T and Verizon are going to one up the other carriers and push 4.2 ?

     

    if they do that, it would greatly satisfy S3 user's. I think we can all agree to that.


    Not a snowball's chance in Hades (the filters wouldn't allow me to use the other H word) of that happening. 4.2 had major bugs, and Google is already pushing out 4.2.1 to the Nexus devices to fix them. The way AT&T works, don't expect 4.2 until summer 2013, if at all.

    Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

    122 of 266 (8,516 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 11:50:25 AM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher

    Every OS has bugs. Look at Apple's 6.0 release. They knew it had bugs and released it anyway. My point is that don't always expect that updates won't be pushed because of reported bugs. I totally understand your point, but at this rate I would take 4.2 with bugs over ICS any day now.

    Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

    123 of 266 (8,460 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 12:53:14 PM
    0
    (0)
    Guru

    LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

    Every OS has bugs. Look at Apple's 6.0 release. They knew it had bugs and released it anyway. My point is that don't always expect that updates won't be pushed because of reported bugs. I totally understand your point, but at this rate I would take 4.2 with bugs over ICS any day now.


    I would as well. However, Samsung hasn't yet released 4.2. When they do, the unlocked international versions of the GS3 will get it first, and the U.S. carriers, specifically AT&T and Verizon, will get it several months later (they'll have to "test" it). Take my word on it...as much as I would love to have 4.2 on my GS3, the only way that'll happen any time soon is through installing a custom ROM.

    Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

    124 of 266 (8,353 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 4:55:01 PM
    0
    (0)
    Tutor

    I read that AT&T and Verizon have not put out the JellyBean update due to iPhone sales being way down, I guess they figure if they hold off iPhone sales will go up. SG3 is already top seller with ICS, it will be a blow to iPhone when Jellybean hits. Both carriers are also in with Apple, where Sprint and T Moblie are not (They have Jellybean update, cough, cough) Also right now Apple has a lawsuit against Samsung. All of these might play a factor in the update waiting game. Why Apple has to sue everyone, I don't know. Android with ICS is nothing like iPhone with IOS imo...I have had the iphone 3GS and the 4S, and Switched to the GS3 over a month ago, and I'm loving it! I like that I have a choice on what I do and can do with my phone. If you think this wait for Jellybean is so bad or the GS3 is so awful, then go get a iPhone and have Apple control everything. There IOS on i5 is almost the exact same as i4 and i3...That's why there's so many disappointed iPhone 5 users, that are switching to the GS3 or another phone.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    125 of 266 (8,083 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 4:55:45 PM
    0
    (0)
    Voyager
    Edited by jasn on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:56:31 PM

    deleted

    Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

    [ Edited ]
    126 of 266 (8,083 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 7:05:29 PM
    0
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

    Chilagurl wrote:

    I read that AT&T and Verizon have not put out the JellyBean update due to iPhone sales being way down, I guess they figure if they hold off iPhone sales will go up. SG3 is already top seller with ICS, it will be a blow to iPhone when Jellybean hits. Both carriers are also in with Apple, where Sprint and T Moblie are not (They have Jellybean update, cough, cough) Also right now Apple has a lawsuit against Samsung. All of these might play a factor in the update waiting game. Why Apple has to sue everyone, I don't know. Android with ICS is nothing like iPhone with IOS imo...I have had the iphone 3GS and the 4S, and Switched to the GS3 over a month ago, and I'm loving it! I like that I have a choice on what I do and can do with my phone. If you think this wait for Jellybean is so bad or the GS3 is so awful, then go get a iPhone and have Apple control everything. There IOS on i5 is almost the exact same as i4 and i3...That's why there's so many disappointed iPhone 5 users, that are switching to the GS3 or another phone.


    I doubt that what you read is true, as it wouldn't make much sense.  Most customers that are choosing between a Galaxy S III and an iPhone won't know the difference between Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean in the Android world.  Even if they did know the difference, they probably wouldn't care as the sales person would assure that customer that a Jellybean update will come to the Galaxy S III soon.

     

    Second, how is Sprint not "in with Apple", when they have a $15 billion commitment to sell iPhones over four years with three remaining on that agreement?

     

    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    127 of 266 (7,967 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 9:18:25 PM
    0
    (0)
    Contributor

    Is anyone thinking that maybe AT&T and Verizon are holding out on the jellybean update so they can say that the iPhone 5 is better? Both AT&T and Verizon have special iPhone plans that put more money in their pockets per person, so that was something I think they may be doing. If they upgraded the S3, it would be by far the best phone on their networks, but if they dont update it then they could say the iPhone has a newer operating system and is therefore better. Just throwing my two cents in.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    128 of 266 (7,844 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2012 11:39:12 PM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor

    I just got my S3 a couple of days ago. I'm coming off an Infuse where I upgraded to several different JB builds. Although the S3 is a lot faster it feels like I'm going backwards a little with the OS. The LTE speeds are insane though.

     

    I spoke with ATT AND Samsung. Samsung told me they've already given ATT 4.1 a while ago. What the heck? So what's the wait??? I spoke with ATT and the guy told me that they're planning on skipping 4.1 and going to 4.2. I asked him when? He went silent. I then asked in a month or so? He said yeah about a month. Yeah right.

     

    It's pretty sad that ATT can't get their crap together and roll out a new version. They have to get all their Bloatware dialed in or something. Who cares about the end user right? We're locked in to 2 years so what do they care?

     

    From all the talk and ATT's past track record of releasing updated ROMs, a "month" away is probably closer to 4-6 months away. I think I'll have to go with a custom JB ROM in the meantime. The last I checked for the Infuse XDA development section they already had a beta 4.2 for download!!!

     

    Isn't there a way to put this lameness on some social media and blow up ATT somehow?

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    129 of 266 (7,745 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 2:43:14 AM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher
    I checked the samsung website I registered my phone it shows the at@t android platform as 4.1 jelly bean but when you try to update OTA or Kies nothing is available.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    130 of 266 (7,718 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 4:06:31 AM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by LIQUIDLEVEL on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:08:04 AM

    I think that it's pretty odd how many of us received different answers from AT&T reps in regards to both the version number and release date. This just really ticks me off because we all know that at the very least the developers at AT&T know what the deal is and this clearly states AT&T doesn't care about the end user at all. does AT&T ever respond to these posts? If so, will I get some half ***** response like the one from the other rep saying AT&T is aware? Really? 

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    [ Edited ]
    131 of 266 (7,698 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 6:01:58 AM
    0
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by kgbkny on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:07:22 AM

    LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

    I think that it's pretty odd how many of us received different answers from AT&T reps in regards to both the version number and release date. This just really ticks me off because we all know that at the very least the developers at AT&T know what the deal is and this clearly states AT&T doesn't care about the end user at all. does AT&T ever respond to these posts? If so, will I get some half ***** response like the one from the other rep saying AT&T is aware? Really? 


    I've posted a while back (either on this thread or one of the other JB threads) that AT&T has already sold us the phone and locked most of us into a two year contract. I got the phone the week it came out, so I still have about 20 months left on my contract. Of course AT&T doesn't care about updating our phones - they already got our money and will continue getting it for at least another 20 months!

     

    Don't ge me wrong, AT&T's service quality has been top notch. I get signal just about everywhere, and LTE is simply incredible. However, I am disgusted with the way they treat their devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a flagship device, as well as one of the best selling phones in the world, yet AT&T finds it perfectly acceptable to withold an important update for no reason. It's already been released in most of the world, as well as by T-Mobile and Sprint in the U.S.

     

    Obviously, there are no issues with it.

     

    What's the hold up, AT&T???

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    [ Edited ]
    132 of 266 (7,643 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 6:26:05 AM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor
    At&t rated worst in customer satisfaction again by Consumer Reports. Is anyone even surprised by this...

    http://m.gizmodo.com/5964175/att-is-the-worst-carrier-again-says-consumer-reports

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    133 of 266 (7,620 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 6:33:42 AM
    0
    (0)
    Scholar

    [I posted the following on XDA as well.]

     

    This new note is now appearing on AT&T's Wireless Support section (https://www.att.com/esupport/article...id=f_Z83wxKcS0).

    _______________
    Update the Firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S III (i747)

    Advisory:

    The Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS update for Samsung Galaxy III is available from Android, and AT&T will have the update available for our customers in the very near future.  The currently available software update provides device improvements and ISIS certification, and can be downloaded over Wi-Fi.
    _______________

    Probably nothing but today is the first time that I've seen them mention Jelly Bean here.

    Also probably nothing as well, but I noticed this morning when selecting Settings > About Device > Software Update > Check for updates no longer has the 24-hour restriction set prior to checking for new updates again. Now, it's down to less than an hour or even ~45 minutes. Something on the horizon...?

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    134 of 266 (7,609 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 7:37:08 AM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor
    My phone still has the 24hr restriction. There's a way to bypass it, I use to do it with my Captivate all the time, but I can't recall how at the moment.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    135 of 266 (7,540 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 7:48:22 AM
    0
    (0)
    Contributor

    Change the date and time ahead 24 hours and you can check for updates again.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    136 of 266 (7,526 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 7:49:27 AM
    0
    (0)
    Scholar

    You think this is going to be released today?

    I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    137 of 266 (7,521 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 10:23:04 AM
    0
    (0)
    Voyager
    I heard the jellybean update is being held back because of Apple and the Iphone 5 sales

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    138 of 266 (7,340 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 10:26:06 AM
    0
    (0)
    Voyager
    I just checked and my phone says 24 hours still

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    139 of 266 (7,333 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 10:51:46 AM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher

    I was informed that if you goto APP MANAGER - ALL PROGRAMS - FIND ATT SOFTWARE UPDATE - CLEAR DATA - that this will allow you to check for updates again without waiting 24 hours

     

    I don't know if this could cause other harm though....

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    140 of 266 (7,293 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 10:54:43 AM
    0
    (0)
    Professor

    The ATT site just coming soon. So give it a little time. It wont change the world, but it will be nice to have.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    141 of 266 (7,289 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 11:24:32 AM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor
    @LIQUIDLEVEL, Yes that is the way I was referring to when trying to check for updates. I hadn't done it for soo long, because when I had my Captivate I would always just install custom roms, that I had forgotten how.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    142 of 266 (7,235 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 12:02:35 PM
    0
    (0)
    Professor

    I was on another forum and a person who spoke to different AT&T reps said they were gonna rather push out 4.2 instead. I am not sure if this is 100% gonna happen, but thats what AT&T reps said according to that poster.

     

    AT&T reps said they already have it and are working on it now to make sure there are no issues with it

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    143 of 266 (7,195 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 12:06:55 PM
    0
    (0)
    Professor
    I agree! AT&T needs to start keeping its customers in the Loop as to whats going on...maybe then will their customer service rating go up. I just want to know why its delaying, and Public announcement would be nyce!

    Re: Where is Jelly Bean?

    144 of 266 (7,084 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 12:15:37 PM
    0
    (0)
    Teacher

    From an operational cost stand point, it would be cost effective to release the most current version available.

     

    Funny ... still no offical AT&T response on this forum that has had over 10,000 views already with 116 replies....

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    145 of 266 (6,332 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 1:29:33 PM
    0
    (0)
    Guru

    smooth4lyfe wrote:

    I was on another forum and a person who spoke to different AT&T reps said they were gonna rather push out 4.2 instead. I am not sure if this is 100% gonna happen, but thats what AT&T reps said according to that poster.

     

    AT&T reps said they already have it and are working on it now to make sure there are no issues with it


    I know what forum you're referring to. AT&T reps made a mistake. 4.2 is not being pushed out any time soon. The thread on that forum has been updated.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    146 of 266 (6,220 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 1:34:41 PM
    0
    (0)
    Guru

    smooth4lyfe wrote:
    I agree! AT&T needs to start keeping its customers in the Loop as to whats going on...maybe then will their customer service rating go up. I just want to know why its delaying, and Public announcement would be nyce!

    Here's a link to the software updates section on AT&T's own site. They state that the 4.1 update is available and will be released to us in the "very near future". What "very near future" means, we can only guess.

     

    http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB415621#fbid=tCJXECHmAJB

    Re: Where is Jelly Bean?

    147 of 266 (6,202 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 1:57:50 PM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor
    Well Liquid, At&t did win the award for worst customer satisfaction. So really, no official word is pretty much on par for At&t. One would think, that after winning the esteemed worst consumer satisfaction award for the past few years, that they would try to clean their image up. But in reality this just shows where At&T's priorities are, or this case aren't.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    148 of 266 (6,194 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 3:14:43 PM
    0
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

    Soren216 wrote:

    Is anyone thinking that maybe AT&T and Verizon are holding out on the jellybean update so they can say that the iPhone 5 is better? Both AT&T and Verizon have special iPhone plans that put more money in their pockets per person, so that was something I think they may be doing. If they upgraded the S3, it would be by far the best phone on their networks, but if they dont update it then they could say the iPhone has a newer operating system and is therefore better. Just throwing my two cents in.


    I still say that this doesn't make sense.  If someone thinks that the Galaxy S III is a better phone than the iPhone with Jellybean on it, they will realize that the Galaxy S III would be better than an iPhone even if it were running Gingerbread.  The customer that can be swayed from one phone to the other probably doesn't know or care about OS versions.

     

    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    149 of 266 (6,140 Views)
    0
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2012 3:35:21 PM
    0
    (0)
    Mentor

    Money is the biggest motivator here. The Only way ATT is ever going to consider the customer is if a lot of customers start leaving in droves. If all of us unhappy customers reached the end of our contract and told ATT I'm leaving, bye and they start to see a lot of people leave. They'll change. But at the moment there's no reason for them to do anything about it. They're too busy getting rich and fat.

    Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

    150 of 266 (6,129 Views)
    Share this post
    Share this post