Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Message 35 of 266 (23,167 Views)
Professor

Re: So where the heck is Jellybean??

[ Edited ]

mendomar012 wrote:
And another thing AT&T lte it's completely different than the rest of the world's lte so you can't roam with AT&T lte

AT&T phones with LTE, also have the HSPA and GSM bands to get data roaming most anywhere in the world (same as the Nexus 4), so this is not a valid argument.  Yes, an AT&T phone won't get LTE while abroad, but neither will the Nexus 4.

Your other points about LTE are mostly valid.  HSPA is fast enough for most things, and if LTE is not even available in your area, I can certainly see the allure of the Nexus platform (although I personally hate LG hardware). 

Also, LTE is not always a battery killer.  I get around 2 days (48 hours) of battery on a single charge with my One X while on LTE.

Message 15 of 266 (16,675 Views)
Scholar

That's my point I want to wait till lte can roam globally so I can get the better speeds. Not just hspa+ and when lte can conserve better battery. And your point of having battery for two days it's on stand by. So what's the point of that
Message 16 of 266 (16,640 Views)
Contributor

Re: Galaxy SIII Jelly Bean Update

I was wanting to get the S3, but was hoping the Jelly Bean would be ready by now.  It should not take this long for a roll out. Android should be pushed out to devices like iOS and everyone gets it at the same time.  For now will have to continue to wait....and wait.....and wait...oh my.

Message 17 of 266 (22,652 Views)
Teacher

I so agree. AT&T needs to update SGH-1747 to Jelly Bean so do it fast. Why wait unitl Jan 2013? Stupid . 

Message 18 of 266 (21,559 Views)
Guru

I completely agree. I don't buy the whole "testing" thing. As the OP pointed out, if AT&T is so worried about crashing their network, why not force the update to be done over Kies and not release it OTA? I can't even hold it against Samsung, as they have already provided Jellybean updates to the carriers, who are choosing to sit on them for undetermined reasons.

Android 4.2 will be released next week, when the Nexus 4 goes on sale. By the time AT&T (as well as Verizon, T-Mobile, and US Cellular) decides to release the update, it will already be outdated. I guess it's a good thing I held on to my Galaxy Nexus (even though I have a S3), as it was updated to Jellybean in July, and will most certainly receive the 4.2 update before my S3 sees Jellybean. If only Google released a LTE-compatible Nexus phone, I would never buy a carrier-branded, OEM-skinned device. Unfortunately, due to all LTE carriers having specific LTE frequencies, this isn't yet possible.
Message 19 of 266 (21,443 Views)
Guru

redpoint73 wrote:

Besides, I believe the European version of the GS3 has completely different hardware, meaning its not remotely the same firmware.

Correct. The international version of the S3 is equipped with a quad core Exynos processor, while the U.S./Canadian versions are equipped with a dual core Snapdragon Krait processor. The two versions also have different GPUs.

Message 20 of 266 (21,431 Views)
Teacher

You can get a bigger battery for the GSIII. The stock battery is 2100 mAh. I haven't tried anywhere like Batteries Plus to see if they're going to carry them, but you can get a 4600 mAh battery that lasts 2.19 times longer from http://tinyurl.com/bjufcxm. I'll be investing in one, esp for vacation, long trips to dr appt's, etc. I do realize that it's physically larger which is why they include a back cover designed to fit with the better battery. But for those that have the GSIII, if they're anything like me, it's in use more than not & a better, longer lasting battery makes sense. To me anyway. Esp with lte not far away where I am right along I-94 that connects Chicago & Milwaukee.
One last note, after getting to try out lte on our vacation to Orlando in August, I can't see myself choosing NOT to use lte. Disney now offers wifi in the parks & as well as on grounds (resorts) but not only did lte leave it in the dust, but wifi sucked battery like crazy. They'll have to rip my unlimited data plan from my cold dead hands!!! And God forbid, if that day comes, it's adios!
Sorry for WTMI! Smiley Tongue
Message 21 of 266 (16,085 Views)
Teacher

I don't know why my tinyurl isn't working but here's the entire long link:
http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-4600mah-extended-battery-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-i930...
Message 22 of 266 (16,086 Views)
Teacher

Has anyone here tried the unofficial version of Jellybean that would like to share/comment?

Just curious.....
Message 23 of 266 (21,043 Views)
Guru

mendomar012 wrote:
And another thing AT&T lte it's completely different than the rest of the world's lte so you can't roam with AT&T lte

That's not entirely accurate. Not only does the overwhelming majority of the world not have LTE at all, but pretty much all carriers who DO have LTE utilize different frequencies. This is not limited to AT&T.

Message 24 of 266 (15,982 Views)
Professor

The thoughts of LTE being a battery killer are lingering from devices mostly from 2011, the iPhone 5 being an exception to this.  I use a Galaxy Note and a Galaxy S III on AT&T and think that the battery life is fine.  I can easily get through a day of normal use on both of those phones.  I charge overnight anyway, so getting longer than a day is not something that I routinely try to do.

Message 25 of 266 (15,975 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

I have Galaxy Nexus that I kept after switching to the S3, mainly to avoid having to wait several months for OS updates. The phone hasn't seen much use after I got the S3, but I recently brought it along on an overseas vacation. Although the GNex comes with a smaller battery than the S3 (1750 maH vs 2100 maH), it doesn't have LTE capability. The battery would drain after using the phone for a couple of hours, mainly to check e-mail and do Facebook updates. The S3 lasts much longer than the GNex, LTE and all.

Message 26 of 266 (15,975 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

u can get flash player to work on jellybean.

just search for flash player jellybean apk.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 27 of 266 (15,889 Views)
Teacher

NO JELLYBEAN YET? :(

im getting pretty jelouse looking at my firends sprint gs3 with jellybean..

im just about ready to just install a rom because its been for ever...

Message 28 of 266 (12,686 Views)
Master

WHY would Google choose to remove the Adobe Flash Player capability with the new Jellybean update?! That's one of the things I loved most about my Android phone... I could even upload pictures straight from my phone to this Forum itself! Can't do that with my iPhone, and now they've decided to take it away?! I thought technology was advancing; it now appears to be regressing...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 29 of 266 (15,795 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.