The Samsung Galaxy S24
brianreigh's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 5:18 PM

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

I just got the s iii a week ago. It already had an OTA update. I don't think it gave me jelly bean, but I now have 4.0.4

Baseband is 1747UCHL9. I don't think anyone was expecting a second software update for the HTC Inspire, which is the phone I just replaced, but at&t did roll out a second update for that. Im sure the jelly bean update will come OTA soon.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

T-Mobile S3 has jelley Bean this doesn't make any sense! I'm kinda getting tired of ATT with all the B-S data share scam plans, and the monopoly them an Verizon are making along with APPLE...

[word filter avoidance]

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@raik wrote:

Jelly bean 4.1 was decided to be skip to 4.2 release instead.........meaning when 4.2 hit they will have new excuse that 4.2 not compatible with their LTE signal therefore will be skip to 4.3 or 5.0

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

This is not true. 4.1 is still being released, but it doesn't make the delay any less excusable.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

I am a member of another well-known rooting/modding forum, whose name I can't mention here, as it will get censored out. There's an active thread there regarding AT&T's Jellybean delay for the GS3. A forum member who claims to work for a company that does marketing for Samsung Canada stated that Samsung is angry with AT&T and Verizon for delaying the already completed update and had to communicate with both companies to hurry up and release it. Supposedly, Verizon has responded, stating that they will begin rolling it out next week. AT&T is yet to respond.

My contract with AT&T runs until July 2014. Once it's up, I will seriously consider returning to T-Mobile, who should have a substantial portion of their LTE network rolled out by then. AT&T's service is great. However, their attitude towards keeping their customers' equipment updated is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T  is not Google.  They manage a world wide network not one citiy in the dust bowl, Kansas City.  Many work PC's are still using IE8 or lower.  While I'm eager for Jelly Bean I'm still far from using all that is on the current 4.0.  Software upgrades while important are less so than understanding what you have.  Like the time my golf teacher took the old wooden club I was using and hit and nice straight shot down the fairway.  I stopped making excuses for slicing the ball all over after I saw that.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not understanding that analogy at all. But if we are heading towards that direction then how about this one. Once a gym teacher told me I was going to make the schools basketball team. I went out and purchased the most expensive basketball shoes hoping that I would look good out on the court rocking the newest shoes around. Well, I noticed that a team member had an almost identical pair. I noticed an extra bulge on the sides. I asked him about the shoes and he said that they were an upgrade from mine and were released days after I bought mine.. They have extra cushioning to support the ankles better. The store clerk never told me that a new pair at the same price was coming out in a few days that had better ankle support. The basketball player told me that the store I bought them from only cares about fast cash and doesn't care about the products they sell or the customers. In fact, the store he bought from allows him to upgrade to the next pair coming out in a few months for free. The store I bought from said they don't follow that policy but if I waited a year I could get the next pair for free but most likely from good will. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Yogisimo, While you may be satisfied with the way At&t manages firmware updates, many of us are not as satisfied. At&t manage a wide network with over 100 million subscribers, not just one.

Explorer

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I went through this with the Infuse/Gingebread update. No amount of fussing with AT&T or Samsung made it happen any faster. When it finally did happen, it was so messed up that AT&T and Samsung both had to disable their links to the update for another painfully long "fix".

Everyone should just relax and wait - it's not going to happen any time soon.  Most likely won't happen in 2012. And won't happen until the Note II gets the update. Please read the following:

http://www.pc-tablet.com/11889-samsung-push-android-42-jelly-bean-update-galaxy-note-2-galaxy-s3-galaxy-note-412-jelly-bean-update/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

AT&T got your money already, they don't have to provide you any upgrades for free. You can go over to Verizon, oh wait they don't hav JB either. 

I don't think JB is worth the wait, I don't think it will improve much as battery life degrades with JB.  4.2 I would wait for since the battery of my Nexus 7 improved with 4.2 over 4.1.2

All JB based S3 roms have worse battery life than ICS stock rom.

Which is why I'm using a custom ICS rom, my S3 is just as smooth and quick as JB ports.

Scholar

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

@amyinsjc

So, do you think when AT&T says "very near future," they could mean over 30 days from now?

While an interesting development on the link you provided, do you know how reliable that site is? I've been burned a few times by people who apparently have good "sources."

@all

AT&Tand Verizon are lucky wireless carriers aren't in a totally global marketplace. People would leave in DROVES if the likes of Vodafone and O2 were options, both of whom released Jelly Bean on 10/22, five days after Samsung released it, and both with their own bloatware.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.