The Samsung Galaxy S24
brianreigh's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 5:18 PM

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

@ikjadoon wrote:

Hi! 😄

I'm the author of the thread at XDA regarding this update, where I quote my "anonymous source" you guys have mentioned. 😄

Er, Samsung began their user trials for AT&T's JB GS3 update in May. Yes, that was before Jelly Bean's announcement. It seems Google is working harder to partner with Android manufacturers.

The ball is in AT&T's court for sure now. Randun is spot-on here, 🙂

~Ibrahim~

My bad Ibrahim for not quoting you as the 'secondary' source! Sorry about that.

-Randy

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I only hope this delay means we'll get more quality bloatware than T-Mobile and Sprint gave their customers with their updates. I could really use ATT Navigation. Again. 😕

Not posted from the device listed below..

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@kc1174 wrote:
I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts.

I think you've answered your own question with that statement. It's been stated on various forums that the majority of smartphone users not only don't care for updates, but don't even know what version of Android is installed on their phone. As far as the ones who do care, AT&T has already sold us the phone and locked us into a contract. The GS3 was released slightly more than 4 months ago, so AT&T is well aware that we aren't going anywhere for the next 20 months. As such, they don't need to release the update in a timely manner.

Unfortunately for them, it's exactly this type of cavalier attitude that causes subscriber churn. I understand that it's extremely important to AT&T that their bloatware functions without any problems, but we'll just freeze it anyway! Contrary to what some apologists would say, when we purchase an Android device (particularly a high-end one), we purchase it with the expectation that it'll be updated. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the update cost is built into the price of each Android device. I wouldn't be surprised if this delay sparked another #NeverAgain campaign!

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah. I agree, once we pay, it's game over. I have really low expectations from a carrier( thanks to ten years as an AT&T customer). I just want updates in the same calendar year. I will definitely keep an eye out for the nexus stuff, if they produce a competitive device, at least they get updates quickly. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I've been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years.  Each smartphone I've had from them was supposed to get an update, but they never actually delivered one.  This is my first Android, and I'm hopeful it actually materializes because the S3 is so popular, but I can't say I'd be surprised if AT&T delayed to Jan 2013, then "Q1", then June, then never because Key Lime Pie will be coming out on the S4.

It seems that the best thing you can do is wait to buy a phone with the OS you want on it, and don't expect an update.  That, or the obvious alternative which AT&T actually appears to go out of their way to entice customers to do: jailbreak. At least then you don't get all the craplets they install.  AT&T Navigator??  Pfft.  Why not just use Apple Maps?

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@dazimmermann wrote:

I've been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years.  Each smartphone I've had from them was supposed to get an update, but they never actually delivered one.  This is my first Android, and I'm hopeful it actually materializes because the S3 is so popular, but I can't say I'd be surprised if AT&T delayed to Jan 2013, then "Q1", then June, then never because Key Lime Pie will be coming out on the S4.

It seems that the best thing you can do is wait to buy a phone with the OS you want on it, and don't expect an update.  That, or the obvious alternative which AT&T actually appears to go out of their way to entice customers to do: jailbreak. At least then you don't get all the craplets they install.  AT&T Navigator??  Pfft.  Why not just use Apple Maps?

There are two choices available to those of us who want timely updates: 1) buy a Nexus phone (although you're sacrificing LTE by doing this); 2) root'n'rom!

I'll be going with option 2 if the update is not released by November 30. I love AT&T's service, but I hate their lackadaisical attitude toward OS updates. To me, it's unacceptable to have a top of the line phone that's two OS versions behind.

I highly doubt that AT&T will decide to never release Jellybean, as I'm certain their contract with Samsung has a stipulation that requires them to update the device. If AT&T doesn't release the update, it'll make Samsung look bad, especially since they have provided the update to AT&T several months ago. It is, unfortunately, a question of when they will release it. I wonder if there's a legally provisioned period of time within which they have to release the update, until Samsung steps in and releases it via Kies.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

I wish they were lackadaisical. They are glacial.
Lesson: Don't get a phone from ATT based on future upgrades. If you don't like it as it is today, forget it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@raik wrote:

I smell the update wont be here until early 2013 since holiday season is coming up and all AT&T care is selling their phones as much as possible and could careless about rolling out update for droids

Rooting your galaxy s3 (or any android) is the only way to go to get latest stuff. AT&T simply doesn't care about releasing update on time for android flagship phones......This is why i wish all android manufactures just stop letting phone carrier in charge of releasing update. Look how fast apple release their update without going through phone carrier craps

I actually think carriers don't see anything in it for them to update phones that already have been sold.  It drags a lot of data over their network, requires development resources at their company, jeopardizes operation of a supposedly stable device, increases tech support calls and in-store support visits, and reduces the  motive to upgrade your phone and sign up for another two-year contract.  

Only once a phone model's sales plateau or decline does it serve them to upgrade the OS, and then only really on unsold phones.  The only reason I think existing users get the update is because they put it on the new phones to sell them, and it's easier to support everyone on the same platform.  Meanwhile, rooting your phone not only sidesteps all these problems for them, but if you brick it, you might actually have to buy a new one.  NOT rolling out an OS update is a win-win-win-win for them - that is, until their competitor has it.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Today is November 21st, and this is what I found out (or didn't) from an at&t customer service rep when I called. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.

I explained to the CSR that I had just bought a new Galaxy S3 which was an upgrade from my previous phone and signed on for another 2 year contract. I then asked why is there a Jelly Bean update for Sprint and T-mobile but NOT at&t???? She immediately tells me that it's not coming from them but Samsung, to which I tell her no, it's not. I already checked with Samsung and they said it was a carrier issue and that's the update is out on most carriers and to wait for it from our carrier. 

This news seemed to stump her and all she could say was, "ummm. hold on." After a two minute pause, she says, "oh, here it is. We just received an email that version 4.2 is coming in the near future." At this point I then ask her when she got the email and when we'll be getting the update. She says they got the email today and as far as when, her email told her, "soon." 

So everyone, at&t has no clue. The higher ups give their own employees the same runaround we as customers get. It's pretty poor service if you ask me. I'm regretting signing on for another two years to a cell company that doesn't have enough regard for their customers to give product updates when they're due. It's too bad at&t can't just update their phones more timely without giving their customers poor lying excuses! 

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

CSR's don't know information until the day before or even the day of. That's pretty basic information - not sure why you pestered the CSR to get that kind of information.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.