Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 14, 2012
9:18:22 AM
Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

265 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(265)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 12:40:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Does AT&T read these things? You would think they would respond. If they were a customer service company they would. All we can do is go with another carrier or when your contract is up go with someone else.

Does AT&T read these things? You would think they would respond. If they were a customer service company they would. All we can do is go with another carrier or when your contract is up go with someone else.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

61 of 266 (9,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 12:48:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I second that.

This is my first contract with AT&T and so far I am NOT impressed at all.

The strange thing to me is really that they refuse to give a date; if it is a couple months or whatever down the road, I don't really care - all I want is assurance it WILL come and WHEN!!! It is the unknown that to me is stupidly annoying.

I second that.

This is my first contract with AT&T and so far I am NOT impressed at all.

The strange thing to me is really that they refuse to give a date; if it is a couple months or whatever down the road, I don't really care - all I want is assurance it WILL come and WHEN!!! It is the unknown that to me is stupidly annoying.

62 of 266 (9,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 12:49:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

lrjensen wrote:
Began user testing in May? On GS3? That was before the phone was even released! Your info must be completely dreamed up by someone.

Respectfully, do you know what "user testing" means? Have you ever heard of beta testing, etc.? Obviously, all phones are tested through a variety of conduits prior to being released. Might want to do a bit of homework prior to 'slamming' another user!

lrjensen wrote:
Began user testing in May? On GS3? That was before the phone was even released! Your info must be completely dreamed up by someone.

Respectfully, do you know what "user testing" means? Have you ever heard of beta testing, etc.? Obviously, all phones are tested through a variety of conduits prior to being released. Might want to do a bit of homework prior to 'slamming' another user!

63 of 266 (9,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 12:53:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

kgbkny wrote:

randun wrote:

A couple of tidbits for everyone...

1. Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!   Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... :smileyfrustrated:

2. Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III).

As I've posted on XDA, since AT&T's Jellybean update for the GS3 is not even in the final stages yet, it's quite plausible that it won't receive an official rollout until 2013. One way or the next, I'm rooting and ROMing if the update doesn't come out by November 30. I have no idea what can possibly be taking six months(!!!!!!) to test.

With regards to Cricket, their version of the GS3 will be released with ICS. They aren't really ahead of AT&T in that aspect.

With regard to Cricket releasing the GS3 with a JB variant, I respectfully stand corrected!

kgbkny wrote:

randun wrote:

A couple of tidbits for everyone...

1. Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!   Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... :smileyfrustrated:

2. Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III).

As I've posted on XDA, since AT&T's Jellybean update for the GS3 is not even in the final stages yet, it's quite plausible that it won't receive an official rollout until 2013. One way or the next, I'm rooting and ROMing if the update doesn't come out by November 30. I have no idea what can possibly be taking six months(!!!!!!) to test.

With regards to Cricket, their version of the GS3 will be released with ICS. They aren't really ahead of AT&T in that aspect.

With regard to Cricket releasing the GS3 with a JB variant, I respectfully stand corrected!

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

64 of 266 (5,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 1:52:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yeah I agree. just tell us how long it will be, I'm sure at&t has 5 times the resources to mobile has. so now it's just unacceptable. they probably don't care about these forums. they have our money, that's all that matters to him. I use the EVGA forums, for graphics cards and motherboards and if you post an issue on their forum, a staff member replies within three hours, and they are a tiny company compared to at&t. Like iI said above, if we were paying $ 5 to update, they would have had it out a long time ago. and at this point, iI would gladly pay that to have up to date software.
Yeah I agree. just tell us how long it will be, I'm sure at&t has 5 times the resources to mobile has. so now it's just unacceptable. they probably don't care about these forums. they have our money, that's all that matters to him. I use the EVGA forums, for graphics cards and motherboards and if you post an issue on their forum, a staff member replies within three hours, and they are a tiny company compared to at&t. Like iI said above, if we were paying $ 5 to update, they would have had it out a long time ago. and at this point, iI would gladly pay that to have up to date software.

65 of 266 (9,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 1:55:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm an engineer for mainly CAT products, critical products that could hurt someone if they malfunction, and we have tested completely new products, software and hardware in a 6 month period. This is called being lazy, and we have nowhere near the resources this company has.
I'm an engineer for mainly CAT products, critical products that could hurt someone if they malfunction, and we have tested completely new products, software and hardware in a 6 month period. This is called being lazy, and we have nowhere near the resources this company has.

66 of 266 (9,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 8:37:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
ATT offshore 90% of their development and IT to India. Expect long delay is normal. I rooted my s3 and loaded with CM10, very happy with it. Stock battery last a full day.
ATT offshore 90% of their development and IT to India. Expect long delay is normal. I rooted my s3 and loaded with CM10, very happy with it. Stock battery last a full day.

67 of 266 (9,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 5:40:35 AM
(0)
Guru
I would gladly pay $5 for a timely update. However, "timely" doesn't seem to be in AT&T's vocabulary, $5 or not.
I would gladly pay $5 for a timely update. However, "timely" doesn't seem to be in AT&T's vocabulary, $5 or not.

68 of 266 (8,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 8:08:18 AM
(0)
Teacher
I'm not exactly sure what development is needed here for ATT to release Jelly Bean to the S3. All the development happens at Samsung when Google release a new build to them. ATT add bloatware, but those are programs that are already available on the market. The S3 Jelly Bean will basically be the same as the Note 2 Jelly Bean without the S pen apps. I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts. From a project life cycle point of view, I highly doubt ATT need to offshore anything to release this. If T-Mobile can do it, you have to wonder where our $100+ per month actually goes.
I'm not exactly sure what development is needed here for ATT to release Jelly Bean to the S3. All the development happens at Samsung when Google release a new build to them. ATT add bloatware, but those are programs that are already available on the market. The S3 Jelly Bean will basically be the same as the Note 2 Jelly Bean without the S pen apps. I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts. From a project life cycle point of view, I highly doubt ATT need to offshore anything to release this. If T-Mobile can do it, you have to wonder where our $100+ per month actually goes.

69 of 266 (8,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 8:17:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

kc1174 wrote:

Actually, in short form here, there is further development performed by every carrier once they receive the 'final' release of an update from Samsung (or any other phone maker). This is done in order to test their own branded apps, etc. to ensure (or an attempt to!), bloatware or not, will work seamlessly as possible with Samsung's updated firmware of its OS. 

kc1174 wrote:

Actually, in short form here, there is further development performed by every carrier once they receive the 'final' release of an update from Samsung (or any other phone maker). This is done in order to test their own branded apps, etc. to ensure (or an attempt to!), bloatware or not, will work seamlessly as possible with Samsung's updated firmware of its OS. 

70 of 266 (8,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 5:16:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hi! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm the author of the thread at XDA regarding this update, where I quote my "anonymous source" you guys have mentioned. :smileyvery-happy:

Er, Samsung began their user trials for AT&T's JB GS3 update in May. Yes, that was before Jelly Bean's announcement. It seems Google is working harder to partner with Android manufacturers.

The ball is in AT&T's court for sure now. Randun is spot-on here, :smileyhappy:

~Ibrahim~

I'm the author of the thread at XDA regarding this update, where I quote my "anonymous source" you guys have mentioned. :smileyvery-happy:

Er, Samsung began their user trials for AT&T's JB GS3 update in May. Yes, that was before Jelly Bean's announcement. It seems Google is working harder to partner with Android manufacturers.

~Ibrahim~

71 of 266 (8,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 5:23:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

ikjadoon wrote:

~Ibrahim~

My bad Ibrahim for not quoting you as the 'secondary' source! Sorry about that.

-Randy

ikjadoon wrote:

~Ibrahim~

My bad Ibrahim for not quoting you as the 'secondary' source! Sorry about that.

-Randy

72 of 266 (8,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 8:46:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
I only hope this delay means we'll get more quality bloatware than T-Mobile and Sprint gave their customers with their updates. I could really use ATT Navigation. Again. :/

Not posted from the device listed below..
I only hope this delay means we'll get more quality bloatware than T-Mobile and Sprint gave their customers with their updates. I could really use ATT Navigation. Again. :/

Not posted from the device listed below..

73 of 266 (7,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 5:38:27 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:41:27 AM

kc1174 wrote:
I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts.

I think you've answered your own question with that statement. It's been stated on various forums that the majority of smartphone users not only don't care for updates, but don't even know what version of Android is installed on their phone. As far as the ones who do care, AT&T has already sold us the phone and locked us into a contract. The GS3 was released slightly more than 4 months ago, so AT&T is well aware that we aren't going anywhere for the next 20 months. As such, they don't need to release the update in a timely manner.

Unfortunately for them, it's exactly this type of cavalier attitude that causes subscriber churn. I understand that it's extremely important to AT&T that their bloatware functions without any problems, but we'll just freeze it anyway! Contrary to what some apologists would say, when we purchase an Android device (particularly a high-end one), we purchase it with the expectation that it'll be updated. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the update cost is built into the price of each Android device. I wouldn't be surprised if this delay sparked another #NeverAgain campaign!

kc1174 wrote:
I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts.

I think you've answered your own question with that statement. It's been stated on various forums that the majority of smartphone users not only don't care for updates, but don't even know what version of Android is installed on their phone. As far as the ones who do care, AT&T has already sold us the phone and locked us into a contract. The GS3 was released slightly more than 4 months ago, so AT&T is well aware that we aren't going anywhere for the next 20 months. As such, they don't need to release the update in a timely manner.

Unfortunately for them, it's exactly this type of cavalier attitude that causes subscriber churn. I understand that it's extremely important to AT&T that their bloatware functions without any problems, but we'll just freeze it anyway! Contrary to what some apologists would say, when we purchase an Android device (particularly a high-end one), we purchase it with the expectation that it'll be updated. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the update cost is built into the price of each Android device. I wouldn't be surprised if this delay sparked another #NeverAgain campaign!

[ Edited ]
74 of 266 (7,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 10:13:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah. I agree, once we pay, it's game over. I have really low expectations from a carrier( thanks to ten years as an AT&T customer). I just want updates in the same calendar year. I will definitely keep an eye out for the nexus stuff, if they produce a competitive device, at least they get updates quickly. 

Yeah. I agree, once we pay, it's game over. I have really low expectations from a carrier( thanks to ten years as an AT&T customer). I just want updates in the same calendar year. I will definitely keep an eye out for the nexus stuff, if they produce a competitive device, at least they get updates quickly. 

75 of 266 (7,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 11:18:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years.  Each smartphone I've had from them was supposed to get an update, but they never actually delivered one.  This is my first Android, and I'm hopeful it actually materializes because the S3 is so popular, but I can't say I'd be surprised if AT&T delayed to Jan 2013, then "Q1", then June, then never because Key Lime Pie will be coming out on the S4.

It seems that the best thing you can do is wait to buy a phone with the OS you want on it, and don't expect an update.  That, or the obvious alternative which AT&T actually appears to go out of their way to entice customers to do: jailbreak. At least then you don't get all the craplets they install.  AT&T Navigator??  Pfft.  Why not just use Apple Maps?

I've been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years.  Each smartphone I've had from them was supposed to get an update, but they never actually delivered one.  This is my first Android, and I'm hopeful it actually materializes because the S3 is so popular, but I can't say I'd be surprised if AT&T delayed to Jan 2013, then "Q1", then June, then never because Key Lime Pie will be coming out on the S4.

It seems that the best thing you can do is wait to buy a phone with the OS you want on it, and don't expect an update.  That, or the obvious alternative which AT&T actually appears to go out of their way to entice customers to do: jailbreak. At least then you don't get all the craplets they install.  AT&T Navigator??  Pfft.  Why not just use Apple Maps?

76 of 266 (4,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 11:43:33 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:48:30 AM

dazimmermann wrote:

There are two choices available to those of us who want timely updates: 1) buy a Nexus phone (although you're sacrificing LTE by doing this); 2) root'n'rom!

I'll be going with option 2 if the update is not released by November 30. I love AT&T's service, but I hate their lackadaisical attitude toward OS updates. To me, it's unacceptable to have a top of the line phone that's two OS versions behind.

I highly doubt that AT&T will decide to never release Jellybean, as I'm certain their contract with Samsung has a stipulation that requires them to update the device. If AT&T doesn't release the update, it'll make Samsung look bad, especially since they have provided the update to AT&T several months ago. It is, unfortunately, a question of when they will release it. I wonder if there's a legally provisioned period of time within which they have to release the update, until Samsung steps in and releases it via Kies.

dazimmermann wrote:

There are two choices available to those of us who want timely updates: 1) buy a Nexus phone (although you're sacrificing LTE by doing this); 2) root'n'rom!

I'll be going with option 2 if the update is not released by November 30. I love AT&T's service, but I hate their lackadaisical attitude toward OS updates. To me, it's unacceptable to have a top of the line phone that's two OS versions behind.

I highly doubt that AT&T will decide to never release Jellybean, as I'm certain their contract with Samsung has a stipulation that requires them to update the device. If AT&T doesn't release the update, it'll make Samsung look bad, especially since they have provided the update to AT&T several months ago. It is, unfortunately, a question of when they will release it. I wonder if there's a legally provisioned period of time within which they have to release the update, until Samsung steps in and releases it via Kies.

[ Edited ]
77 of 266 (4,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 1:25:55 PM
(0)
Guru
I wish they were lackadaisical. They are glacial.
Lesson: Don't get a phone from ATT based on future upgrades. If you don't like it as it is today, forget it.
I wish they were lackadaisical. They are glacial.
Lesson: Don't get a phone from ATT based on future upgrades. If you don't like it as it is today, forget it.

78 of 266 (4,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 2:16:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

raik wrote:

I smell the update wont be here until early 2013 since holiday season is coming up and all AT&T care is selling their phones as much as possible and could careless about rolling out update for droids

Rooting your galaxy s3 (or any android) is the only way to go to get latest stuff. AT&T simply doesn't care about releasing update on time for android flagship phones......This is why i wish all android manufactures just stop letting phone carrier in charge of releasing update. Look how fast apple release their update without going through phone carrier craps

I actually think carriers don't see anything in it for them to update phones that already have been sold.  It drags a lot of data over their network, requires development resources at their company, jeopardizes operation of a supposedly stable device, increases tech support calls and in-store support visits, and reduces the  motive to upgrade your phone and sign up for another two-year contract.  

Only once a phone model's sales plateau or decline does it serve them to upgrade the OS, and then only really on unsold phones.  The only reason I think existing users get the update is because they put it on the new phones to sell them, and it's easier to support everyone on the same platform.  Meanwhile, rooting your phone not only sidesteps all these problems for them, but if you brick it, you might actually have to buy a new one.  NOT rolling out an OS update is a win-win-win-win for them - that is, until their competitor has it.

raik wrote:

I smell the update wont be here until early 2013 since holiday season is coming up and all AT&T care is selling their phones as much as possible and could careless about rolling out update for droids

Rooting your galaxy s3 (or any android) is the only way to go to get latest stuff. AT&T simply doesn't care about releasing update on time for android flagship phones......This is why i wish all android manufactures just stop letting phone carrier in charge of releasing update. Look how fast apple release their update without going through phone carrier craps

I actually think carriers don't see anything in it for them to update phones that already have been sold.  It drags a lot of data over their network, requires development resources at their company, jeopardizes operation of a supposedly stable device, increases tech support calls and in-store support visits, and reduces the  motive to upgrade your phone and sign up for another two-year contract.  

Only once a phone model's sales plateau or decline does it serve them to upgrade the OS, and then only really on unsold phones.  The only reason I think existing users get the update is because they put it on the new phones to sell them, and it's easier to support everyone on the same platform.  Meanwhile, rooting your phone not only sidesteps all these problems for them, but if you brick it, you might actually have to buy a new one.  NOT rolling out an OS update is a win-win-win-win for them - that is, until their competitor has it.

79 of 266 (4,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 7:04:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Today is November 21st, and this is what I found out (or didn't) from an at&t customer service rep when I called. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.

I explained to the CSR that I had just bought a new Galaxy S3 which was an upgrade from my previous phone and signed on for another 2 year contract. I then asked why is there a Jelly Bean update for Sprint and T-mobile but NOT at&t???? She immediately tells me that it's not coming from them but Samsung, to which I tell her no, it's not. I already checked with Samsung and they said it was a carrier issue and that's the update is out on most carriers and to wait for it from our carrier. 

This news seemed to stump her and all she could say was, "ummm. hold on." After a two minute pause, she says, "oh, here it is. We just received an email that version 4.2 is coming in the near future." At this point I then ask her when she got the email and when we'll be getting the update. She says they got the email today and as far as when, her email told her, "soon." 

So everyone, at&t has no clue. The higher ups give their own employees the same runaround we as customers get. It's pretty poor service if you ask me. I'm regretting signing on for another two years to a cell company that doesn't have enough regard for their customers to give product updates when they're due. It's too bad at&t can't just update their phones more timely without giving their customers poor lying excuses! 

Today is November 21st, and this is what I found out (or didn't) from an at&t customer service rep when I called. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.

I explained to the CSR that I had just bought a new Galaxy S3 which was an upgrade from my previous phone and signed on for another 2 year contract. I then asked why is there a Jelly Bean update for Sprint and T-mobile but NOT at&t???? She immediately tells me that it's not coming from them but Samsung, to which I tell her no, it's not. I already checked with Samsung and they said it was a carrier issue and that's the update is out on most carriers and to wait for it from our carrier. 

This news seemed to stump her and all she could say was, "ummm. hold on." After a two minute pause, she says, "oh, here it is. We just received an email that version 4.2 is coming in the near future." At this point I then ask her when she got the email and when we'll be getting the update. She says they got the email today and as far as when, her email told her, "soon." 

So everyone, at&t has no clue. The higher ups give their own employees the same runaround we as customers get. It's pretty poor service if you ask me. I'm regretting signing on for another two years to a cell company that doesn't have enough regard for their customers to give product updates when they're due. It's too bad at&t can't just update their phones more timely without giving their customers poor lying excuses! 

80 of 266 (4,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2012 11:14:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
CSR's don't know information until the day before or even the day of. That's pretty basic information - not sure why you pestered the CSR to get that kind of information.
CSR's don't know information until the day before or even the day of. That's pretty basic information - not sure why you pestered the CSR to get that kind of information.

81 of 266 (4,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 2:03:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Give up on AT&T updating their high end Android devices and get a Nexus device instead,  Switched my GS3 with a Nexus 4 and enjoying Jelly Bean 4.2.  Even if they update you still can't use some of Google's cool apps like Google Wallet because they block it.  No bloat ware, no crappy skins, just pure Android experience.  Get the updates when they release directly from Google.  

Give up on AT&T updating their high end Android devices and get a Nexus device instead,  Switched my GS3 with a Nexus 4 and enjoying Jelly Bean 4.2.  Even if they update you still can't use some of Google's cool apps like Google Wallet because they block it.  No bloat ware, no crappy skins, just pure Android experience.  Get the updates when they release directly from Google.  

82 of 266 (7,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 7:23:43 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:25:27 AM

Jnorton2724 wrote:

If the Nexus 4 had LTE capability, I'd get it in a split second. I have the Nexus 10 tablet, so I can still enjoy 4.2 in all its glory. With that being said, just 8 more days left until I root and install a Jellybean ROM!

Jnorton2724 wrote:

If the Nexus 4 had LTE capability, I'd get it in a split second. I have the Nexus 10 tablet, so I can still enjoy 4.2 in all its glory. With that being said, just 8 more days left until I root and install a Jellybean ROM!

[ Edited ]
83 of 266 (6,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 7:33:03 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:36:31 AM

I promised myself to give AT&T until the end of the month to roll out the update before I root my phone and install a Jellybean ROM, but I'm already reading up on what ROMs I should consider. The fact that Sprint and T-Mobile have both beaten AT&T and Verizon to the punch is shocking and unbelievable. I've been an AT&T customer for slightly over 4 months. While I think very highly of their service, it didn't take much for me to learn not to depend on them to keep my phone updated. I highly doubt that the update will be out before 2013.

I promised myself to give AT&T until the end of the month to roll out the update before I root my phone and install a Jellybean ROM, but I'm already reading up on what ROMs I should consider. The fact that Sprint and T-Mobile have both beaten AT&T and Verizon to the punch is shocking and unbelievable. I've been an AT&T customer for slightly over 4 months. While I think very highly of their service, it didn't take much for me to learn not to depend on them to keep my phone updated. I highly doubt that the update will be out before 2013.

[ Edited ]
84 of 266 (4,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 7:50:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

The poster hit it right on. Most people dont know the version of the OS they are running and most dont care. All users care about is that they can IM, call, email, and take pictures.

For carriers, doing an update can be problematic. Think about those users that try to do an unpdate and the 'screw' up their phone? Think about all the calls to customer service because the user can no longer find the icon or their email layout changed.  Its just not worth it for the carriers. 

Updates are important to a select few like us that write comments on forums like this. Too bad the Nexus phones are not the same caliber as the Galaxy S3 as those are the phones for us.

The poster hit it right on. Most people dont know the version of the OS they are running and most dont care. All users care about is that they can IM, call, email, and take pictures.

For carriers, doing an update can be problematic. Think about those users that try to do an unpdate and the 'screw' up their phone? Think about all the calls to customer service because the user can no longer find the icon or their email layout changed.  Its just not worth it for the carriers. 

Updates are important to a select few like us that write comments on forums like this. Too bad the Nexus phones are not the same caliber as the Galaxy S3 as those are the phones for us.

85 of 266 (7,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 8:43:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

Good luck! I gave up waiting for this update. I can't wait for my contract to end so I can get the heck away from AT&T and go elswhere. It boggles my mind that they can't simply release an update for a phone.

I wanted to say HeII but they filtered that and flagged my post!!!

Good luck! I gave up waiting for this update. I can't wait for my contract to end so I can get the heck away from AT&T and go elswhere. It boggles my mind that they can't simply release an update for a phone.

I wanted to say HeII but they filtered that and flagged my post!!!

86 of 266 (7,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 11:10:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's funny you say I was pestering the CSR and yet, I like many other customers would like to know why I am still waiting for an update to my phone when other carriers have it??? So tell me this, who else would I ask for this kind of information? Customer Service Reps are there to answer customer questions, not just handle billing.  So please, think before you post next time, thanks.  

That's funny you say I was pestering the CSR and yet, I like many other customers would like to know why I am still waiting for an update to my phone when other carriers have it??? So tell me this, who else would I ask for this kind of information? Customer Service Reps are there to answer customer questions, not just handle billing.  So please, think before you post next time, thanks.  

87 of 266 (4,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 4:43:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Oh, it's nothing, Randun. :smileyhappy: I just wanted to declare myself so I just didn't look like some nutjob from the internet.

AT&T doesn't care: this mentality is evidenced by the fact they started working on the update in May and still don't having a release date by Thanksgiving.

I've heard rumors (i.e. quotes from on-the-phone AT&T representatives) of December 1st-3rd all the way to January. #whotobelieve

Oh, it's nothing, Randun. :smileyhappy: I just wanted to declare myself so I just didn't look like some nutjob from the internet.

AT&T doesn't care: this mentality is evidenced by the fact they started working on the update in May and still don't having a release date by Thanksgiving.

I've heard rumors (i.e. quotes from on-the-phone AT&T representatives) of December 1st-3rd all the way to January. #whotobelieve

88 of 266 (7,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 7:54:57 PM
(0)
Guru

Since there are a couple of fellow XDAers in this thread, it seems to me like the most logical thing for us to do would be to root'n'rom. I'm still waiting it out until November 30, but not a day longer. I simply refuse to accept the fact that AT&T doesn't see a problem with its subscribers owning a flagship device with outdated firmware, let alone firmware that's already two(!!!) versions behind! Again, I never expected a speedy OS update when I purchased this phone, but this delay is absolutely preposterous.

From what I understand, carriers don't like it when people discuss rooting on their forums, so we should probably continue this on XDA. I actually like the functionality that TouchWiz adds to the GS3, but I'm not opposed to using something more stock, as long as it's stable.

Since there are a couple of fellow XDAers in this thread, it seems to me like the most logical thing for us to do would be to root'n'rom. I'm still waiting it out until November 30, but not a day longer. I simply refuse to accept the fact that AT&T doesn't see a problem with its subscribers owning a flagship device with outdated firmware, let alone firmware that's already two(!!!) versions behind! Again, I never expected a speedy OS update when I purchased this phone, but this delay is absolutely preposterous.

From what I understand, carriers don't like it when people discuss rooting on their forums, so we should probably continue this on XDA. I actually like the functionality that TouchWiz adds to the GS3, but I'm not opposed to using something more stock, as long as it's stable.

89 of 266 (7,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 8:02:42 PM
(0)
Guru

zAWING wrote:

I think that you'd be more successful speaking with a technical support specialist, as opposed to a front line CSR. I've live chatted with CSR on 3 separate occasions, and received 3 different responses. One told me that Samsung is still trying to determine whether the GS3 is upgradable, another told me that the last update for the GS3 was released in September and that no further updates are scheduled, and the last told me that he has no information in his system about any GS3 firmware updates. Don't bother with front line reps, they usually know less than we do. It's not their fault, they are just not given enough information to work with.

zAWING wrote:

I think that you'd be more successful speaking with a technical support specialist, as opposed to a front line CSR. I've live chatted with CSR on 3 separate occasions, and received 3 different responses. One told me that Samsung is still trying to determine whether the GS3 is upgradable, another told me that the last update for the GS3 was released in September and that no further updates are scheduled, and the last told me that he has no information in his system about any GS3 firmware updates. Don't bother with front line reps, they usually know less than we do. It's not their fault, they are just not given enough information to work with.

90 of 266 (4,775 Views)