The Samsung Galaxy S24
brianreigh's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 5:18 PM

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I second that.

This is my first contract with AT&T and so far I am NOT impressed at all.

The strange thing to me is really that they refuse to give a date; if it is a couple months or whatever down the road, I don't really care - all I want is assurance it WILL come and WHEN!!! It is the unknown that to me is stupidly annoying.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

@lrjensen wrote:
Began user testing in May? On GS3? That was before the phone was even released! Your info must be completely dreamed up by someone.

Respectfully, do you know what "user testing" means? Have you ever heard of beta testing, etc.? Obviously, all phones are tested through a variety of conduits prior to being released. Might want to do a bit of homework prior to 'slamming' another user!

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

@kgbkny wrote:

@randun wrote:

A couple of tidbits for everyone...

1. Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!   Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... Smiley Frustrated

2. Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III).

As I've posted on XDA, since AT&T's Jellybean update for the GS3 is not even in the final stages yet, it's quite plausible that it won't receive an official rollout until 2013. One way or the next, I'm rooting and ROMing if the update doesn't come out by November 30. I have no idea what can possibly be taking six months(!!!!!!) to test.

With regards to Cricket, their version of the GS3 will be released with ICS. They aren't really ahead of AT&T in that aspect.

With regard to Cricket releasing the GS3 with a JB variant, I respectfully stand corrected!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah I agree. just tell us how long it will be, I'm sure at&t has 5 times the resources to mobile has. so now it's just unacceptable. they probably don't care about these forums. they have our money, that's all that matters to him. I use the EVGA forums, for graphics cards and motherboards and if you post an issue on their forum, a staff member replies within three hours, and they are a tiny company compared to at&t. Like iI said above, if we were paying $ 5 to update, they would have had it out a long time ago. and at this point, iI would gladly pay that to have up to date software.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I'm an engineer for mainly CAT products, critical products that could hurt someone if they malfunction, and we have tested completely new products, software and hardware in a 6 month period. This is called being lazy, and we have nowhere near the resources this company has.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

ATT offshore 90% of their development and IT to India. Expect long delay is normal. I rooted my s3 and loaded with CM10, very happy with it. Stock battery last a full day.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

I would gladly pay $5 for a timely update. However, "timely" doesn't seem to be in AT&T's vocabulary, $5 or not.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not exactly sure what development is needed here for ATT to release Jelly Bean to the S3. All the development happens at Samsung when Google release a new build to them. ATT add bloatware, but those are programs that are already available on the market. The S3 Jelly Bean will basically be the same as the Note 2 Jelly Bean without the S pen apps. I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts. From a project life cycle point of view, I highly doubt ATT need to offshore anything to release this. If T-Mobile can do it, you have to wonder where our $100+ per month actually goes.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

@kc1174 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what development is needed here for ATT to release Jelly Bean to the S3. All the development happens at Samsung when Google release a new build to them. ATT add bloatware, but those are programs that are already available on the market. The S3 Jelly Bean will basically be the same as the Note 2 Jelly Bean without the S pen apps. I see this as a purely marketing ploy by ATT to sell more Note 2s for awhile, forgetting that S3 owners still have at least 1.5 years left on their contracts. From a project life cycle point of view, I highly doubt ATT need to offshore anything to release this. If T-Mobile can do it, you have to wonder where our $100+ per month actually goes.

Actually, in short form here, there is further development performed by every carrier once they receive the 'final' release of an update from Samsung (or any other phone maker). This is done in order to test their own branded apps, etc. to ensure (or an attempt to!), bloatware or not, will work seamlessly as possible with Samsung's updated firmware of its OS. 

Scholar

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Hi! 😄

I'm the author of the thread at XDA regarding this update, where I quote my "anonymous source" you guys have mentioned. 😄

Er, Samsung began their user trials for AT&T's JB GS3 update in May. Yes, that was before Jelly Bean's announcement. It seems Google is working harder to partner with Android manufacturers.

The ball is in AT&T's court for sure now. Randun is spot-on here, 🙂

~Ibrahim~

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.