Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Message 35 of 266 (23,257 Views)
Professor

Re: So where the heck is Jellybean??

It was Adobe's decision, as they don't want to be in the mobile OS market anymore.  They stopped supporting their Flash Player with the new version of Android.

Message 30 of 266 (11,319 Views)
Master

Aww, that's so disappointing to hear. That was one of the key reasons why I liked Android. Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 31 of 266 (11,209 Views)
Contributor

There are tons of places to get your extended life battery/replacement back for your phone much cheaper.  Amazon being one with multiple choices. You spent  #x's what you needed to @ $88

Message 32 of 266 (10,906 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

21stNow wrote:

It was Adobe's decision, as they don't want to be in the mobile OS market anymore.  They stopped supporting their Flash Player with the new version of Android.

Apparently, HTML5 (which is open source, compared to Adobe's proprietary Flash Player) is supposed to be the future on all platforms, not just mobile.  But it really hasn't panned out that way yet.  More websites are moving to HTML5, but many other websites still use it.  So Adobe's decision to stop supporting Android at this time is pretty annoying for many people.

That said, as previously mentioned, you can still install Flash Player on your device running JB.  The method is easy to find by Googling around for a few minutes.  As usual, use caution before installing software obtained from unofficial sources.  But really, if your phone comes with a feature out of the box, you should have every right to continue making it work.

Message 33 of 266 (10,876 Views)
Contributor

Re: Galaxy SIII Jelly Bean Update

Just saw that T-Mobile is updating S3 today to Jelly Bean.  AT&T needs to get with it and not be last to the party as ususal.

Message 34 of 266 (15,356 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

But then again, what does AT&T care about updates to existing customers. Must have 1 person working on Android updates for all of AT&T.  A team would not take 4 months.

Message 36 of 266 (15,221 Views)

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]

[word filter avoidance] I was promised Jely Bean update August 29. Where is it or do you even care about you good customers?

Message 37 of 266 (14,792 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

redmacdaddy wrote:

But then again, what does AT&T care about updates to existing customers. Must have 1 person working on Android updates for all of AT&T.  A team would not take 4 months.

Since T-Mobile is experiencing non-stop churn of contract customers (myself included - I left T-Mobile 4 months ago), it's in their best interest to do whatever possible to at least put a Band-Aid on the wound. Unlike T-Mobile, AT&T has the iPhone, an LTE network and far more extensive coverage footprint. They don't need to worry about trivial issues like timely firmware updates (pardon the sarcasm!).

A member of XDA Developers, claiming to be a former AT&T employee, stated that the department that works on updates is extremely lazy. Personally, I wasn't expecting a timely update from a U.S. carrier, but being outdone by T-Mobile and Sprint? Step it up, AT&T....

I would definitely love to experience Jellybean on my GS3. Yes, Jellybean is a significant improvement over ICS - thanks to my Galaxy Nexus, I speak from personal experience. I'll wait it out until the end of the month, and then it's off to root and ROM!

Speaking of Galaxy Nexus...I was absolutely correct in my earlier post. The 4.2 update for it was released a couple of days ago, while AT&T's GS3 is still waiting to receive 4.1. We're now 2 firmware versions behind. I guess being a flagship device still doesn't count for anything!

Message 38 of 266 (14,837 Views)
Mentor

Yah, I don't think I really care, but it sucks to be behind. I really thought with the gs3 twere had turned a corner. Don't they realize that it's the updates and new tweaks that keep us interested? It's like getting a sweet Porsche 911 and putting Kia wheels on it. I'll shop around when my contract is up.

Message 39 of 266 (14,623 Views)
Mentor

Att definitely doesn't stay in touch with what's important to customers. The flagship smartphone crowd wants to be number one for as long as possible. They have now put the galaxy 3 TWO software updates behind. Jellybean 4.2 is out while we wait. I don't like apple but at least they know how to update software...every six months like a clock.

Message 40 of 266 (14,588 Views)
Voyager

Yup complete crap. Jellybean has been out for awhile now and almost every carrier has it on there GS3 but not AT&T. Get on the ball AT&T

Message 41 of 266 (14,536 Views)
Guru

fp4lc4pon3 wrote:

Yup complete crap. Jellybean has been out for awhile now and almost every carrier has it on there GS3 but not AT&T. Get on the ball AT&T

Actually, only Sprint and T-Mobile versions of the GS3 have received Jellybean. With that being said, there is absolutely no excuse for the two largest carriers in the U.S. to delay the update.

As much as it pains me to say it, software update delays are stark reality that comes with getting a carrier-branded phone.

Message 42 of 266 (14,425 Views)
Guru

cheddarnut wrote:

Yah, I don't think I really care, but it sucks to be behind. I really thought with the gs3 twere had turned a corner. Don't they realize that it's the updates and new tweaks that keep us interested? It's like getting a sweet Porsche 911 and putting Kia wheels on it. I'll shop around when my contract is up.

Here's what we all need to realize: whenever we purchase a carrier-branded Android phone, there will ALWAYS be OS update delays. I've finally decided to sell my Galaxy Nexus, but I have a Nexus 10 on the way, which will enable me to enjoy the latest updates directly from Google. However, that still doesn't make me feel better about the GS3 update delay. There is simply no excuse for carriers holding back updates to flagship phones.

As far as shopping around is concerned, quality service outweighs timely OS updates, at least in my case. I'm a former T-Mobile customer, and their data service was absolutely horrible in my area. I live in NYC, so there is really no excuse for 0.5 Mbps downstream speeds in a supposedly 4G area of a major metropolis. Sprint is horrible as well. AT&T may be slow to update, but I really can't complain about their service.

Message 43 of 266 (14,407 Views)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

When do we expect Att to release the updates for Samsung Galaxy S3.. 

Any insiders pl you are most than welcome to respond.. Let us know the reason for the holdup...

Message 44 of 266 (21,175 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

[ Edited ]

whenever they ready I guess, at&t have history of horrible android update for samsung flag ship phone. I'm already rooted my S3 and load it with the black JB and it been working nice. Waiting for AT&T will be just a watse of time, and even if they release it, it will have full of their bloatwares that will eat your data usage away if you not watching them closely

Message 45 of 266 (21,158 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.