The Samsung Galaxy S24
brianreigh's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 5:18 PM

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

What the heck?? Your kidding???????

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

No he's right. But you should return your s3 and get the new nexus 4 and you will get all the updates as soon as Google releases them http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Why would you want the Nexus 4 when it doesn't support LTE? I can understand is pure Google and it gets the updates as soon as they're launched, but the S3 supports LTE, just hang in there and wait for the update. It's not like the phone right now is bad.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Because lte kills the battery right away, and cause lte is not in my area now anyway. So by the time the next nexus comes out then maybe it would support lte. And another thing AT&T lte it's completely different than the rest of the world's lte so you can't roam with AT&T lte

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@mendomar012 wrote:
And another thing AT&T lte it's completely different than the rest of the world's lte so you can't roam with AT&T lte

AT&T phones with LTE, also have the HSPA and GSM bands to get data roaming most anywhere in the world (same as the Nexus 4), so this is not a valid argument.  Yes, an AT&T phone won't get LTE while abroad, but neither will the Nexus 4.

Your other points about LTE are mostly valid.  HSPA is fast enough for most things, and if LTE is not even available in your area, I can certainly see the allure of the Nexus platform (although I personally hate LG hardware). 

Also, LTE is not always a battery killer.  I get around 2 days (48 hours) of battery on a single charge with my One X while on LTE.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

That's my point I want to wait till lte can roam globally so I can get the better speeds. Not just hspa+ and when lte can conserve better battery. And your point of having battery for two days it's on stand by. So what's the point of that

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I was wanting to get the S3, but was hoping the Jelly Bean would be ready by now.  It should not take this long for a roll out. Android should be pushed out to devices like iOS and everyone gets it at the same time.  For now will have to continue to wait....and wait.....and wait...oh my.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I so agree. AT&T needs to update SGH-1747 to Jelly Bean so do it fast. Why wait unitl Jan 2013? Stupid . 

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

I completely agree. I don't buy the whole "testing" thing. As the OP pointed out, if AT&T is so worried about crashing their network, why not force the update to be done over Kies and not release it OTA? I can't even hold it against Samsung, as they have already provided Jellybean updates to the carriers, who are choosing to sit on them for undetermined reasons.

Android 4.2 will be released next week, when the Nexus 4 goes on sale. By the time AT&T (as well as Verizon, T-Mobile, and US Cellular) decides to release the update, it will already be outdated. I guess it's a good thing I held on to my Galaxy Nexus (even though I have a S3), as it was updated to Jellybean in July, and will most certainly receive the 4.2 update before my S3 sees Jellybean. If only Google released a LTE-compatible Nexus phone, I would never buy a carrier-branded, OEM-skinned device. Unfortunately, due to all LTE carriers having specific LTE frequencies, this isn't yet possible.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

Besides, I believe the European version of the GS3 has completely different hardware, meaning its not remotely the same firmware.

Correct. The international version of the S3 is equipped with a quad core Exynos processor, while the U.S./Canadian versions are equipped with a dual core Snapdragon Krait processor. The two versions also have different GPUs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.