For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
lunaray1's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 5:48 AM

Galaxy S II vs Infuse

Well it's here and for me, the upgrade price is $199 compared to $99 for the Infuse.  Considering my budget, a 100 bucks is a lot of money but at the same time, I have a personality glitch that makes me always want the latest and greatest and it gets me in trouble.  I've been to YouTube and I've watched all the reviews and comparisons but I still can't decide, HELP ME! Smiley Indifferent

I don't really use my cell for web stuff much and I'm on AT&T's minimum data plan, but with one of these models I'm sure that will change.

Anyway, if someone can help me out, I would appreciate it.  If there's a difference in call quality between the two (reception, sound, speaker-phone function) then this might be a decision maker, but they're probably about the same in that department.

Thanks everyone!

Ray

Guru

• 

725 Messages

13 years ago

Infuse Pros:

Bigger screen, better audio chipset

Infuse Cons:

Weirdo hybrid hardware that lies in between the original GS and the GSII.  As a result it's difficult to take development from other devices and apply it to the Infuse.  No official Gingerbread in the United States, and the Rogers Gingerbread release is half-baked.  Wacko Bluetooth/GPS chipset that isn't found on any other device I've ever seen on the planet

Galaxy S II - More commonality with other Samsung devices that have VERY active development

So far with minor tweaks, better battery life.  Just a few kernel tweaks and debloating and the idle drain is shockingly low.  Even lower than running Serendipity VII on the Infuse, which I didn't think was possible.

Possible NFC.  Hardware seems there, exists at some levels in the firmware, but it seems like AT&T disabled it for the final release.  I hear it was working somewhat in pre-release firmware builds.

If choosing between the Infuse and GSII now - without a doubt, go for the GSII.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

13 years ago

I am tempted by the GS2, and would definitely get it before the Infuse.  But LTE has already launched in 5 cities, and at&t is promising 15 cities by the end of the year.  The GS2 has an LTE version, so I think I will try to wait a few months for that.

Scholar

• 

279 Messages

13 years ago

Good review entropy, as the Infuse by its own right is a great phone (I own an infuse since June).

However, if I hadn't bought an infuse yet and was in the same boat as you, I'd pony up the extra $100 and get the sgs2 without hesitation. (Even though is paid $199 back in June anyways)

Both phone are virtually identical in appearance with slight changes to the camera and flash position in the back, volume button is slid down and speaker iS on opposite sides.

Now I am also now used to the 4.5" screen. So 4.3 would need to be something to get used to.

But at this point, with me already having the Infuse. And trust me this sucker is still no slouch, ill wait it out till the next sgs2 comes out with the 4.5 (or 4.65") and the new HD AMOLED.

Love my Infuse but you made the right choice!

Guru

• 

725 Messages

13 years ago

@BMan17 wrote:
Good review entropy, as the Infuse by its own right is a great phone (I own an infuse since June).

However, if I hadn't bought an infuse yet and was in the same boat as you, I'd pony up the extra $100 and get the sgs2 without hesitation. (Even though is paid $199 back in June anyways)

Both phone are virtually identical in appearance with slight changes to the camera and flash position in the back, volume button is slid down and speaker iS on opposite sides.

Now I am also now used to the 4.5" screen. So 4.3 would need to be something to get used to.

But at this point, with me already having the Infuse. And trust me this sucker is still no slouch, ill wait it out till the next sgs2 comes out with the 4.5 (or 4.65") and the new HD AMOLED.

Love my Infuse but you made the right choice!

Yeah.  I'm having difficulty justifying the expenditure of an outright GSII purchase, although I've already gotten one or two XDA donations due to posting a return-to-stock Odin package which helps to defray the costs.  🙂

But for someone choosing between the GSII and an Infuse when eligible for an upgrade - GSII without a doubt.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

For those that picked up the S2, is battery life better on it than on the infuse?

Scholar

• 

279 Messages

13 years ago

I'm curious Topo cause Infuse is a 1750 and the sgs2 is 1650.

But Infuse is a bigger screen. So who knows.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

13 years ago

@BMan17 wrote:
But then hopefully the gingerbread platform has a little better battery saving techniques compared to froyo.

That is one of the advertised features of Gingerbread, and I can tell you that on average, a debloated Rogers Gingerbread-based ROM for the Infuse performed better than a debloated AT&T Froyo-based ROM, with the exception of the infamous "Gingerbread random battery drain" bug.  (Sometimes GB goes crazy and starts draining battery until you reboot.)

However, a GS2 with only mild debloating and minor power management tweaks (cpuidle fix in kernel but no undervolting) outperforms an Infuse with heavy power management tweaks (Serendipity VII ROM, kernel that supports undervolting.) in terms of battery life so far - but I only have a small dataset for the GS2.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

13 years ago

@oofie wrote:

For those that picked up the S2, is battery life better on it than on the infuse?

So far on my rooted GS2, battery life is quite a bit better than it was on my rooted Infused 2.2.3 Infuse by a good 15-20% it would seem.  It's not a comparable comparison because one is basically stock and the other is modified a good bit but I will say that my Infuse battery life when it was stock was even worse so... yeah, the GS2 is better so far even though the battery itself is smaller.

Scholar

• 

279 Messages

13 years ago

Nice.

How long have you had your Infuse before you swtiched?

I'm still in the mode of waiting to get the SGS2 cause I have the Infuse.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Cell phones are like computers, be prepared to shell out plenty of dough every 3-6 months if your chasing the latest and greatest. Most people only tap a fraction of their phones capabilities just like computers. JMO
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.