The Samsung Galaxy S24
dbills17's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 3:33 AM

Galaxy S 2 Not Receiving Texts

A couple days ago, my Galaxy S 2 was working just fine. I could make and receive calls and texts. But now, I'm not receiving any texts. I can send them out, but I'm not getting any back. I know the people I'm texting are replying, but it's not coming through. Any ideas as to what's causing this and how to fix it?

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

A quick Google search brought up others with the issue.  Some of the resolutions including clearing the message cache?  Making sure you have auto retrive checked as well as ensure that notifications are turned on.

I Googled the following: "galaxy s2 not receiving text messages"

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I've cleared out the data and all that, and auto retrieve is checked. Other things I've tried is leaving the battery out for a bit, as well as the sim card, but neither of those worked.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Call AT&T and tell them to reset your messaging plan...sometimes they change it or something happens on their end...idk why but it does

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I called them this morning and no one could figure out what was wrong. They eventually said to go to an att store and have them put my sim card in another phone and put it back in mine.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@dbills17 wrote:
I called them this morning and no one could figure out what was wrong. They eventually said to go to an att store and have them put my sim card in another phone and put it back in mine.

Really? Wow this is why AT&T customer service ratings is so low

Did they reset your plan? 

Some suggestions:

- Try turning on airplane mode for about 10 seconds then turning it back off (Refreshes the network), then try sending a message to yourself and see if you recieve it

- Do u use the stock messaging app? Try downloading another 3rd party one (which are usually better anyways)...the one I use is called "Go SMS" which is way better than stock and has more features that could possible work around it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

- Go to your settings and make sure "Push Messages" are turned on, this allows messages to be pushed from the network

If those dont work....then I guess go to the AT&T store

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Did you recently port your number in, or is this a phone number that you have been using on AT&T for a long time?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I realize this is a stale post but am wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this issue. I have essentially the same issue with my S2.  I initially took the phone to AT&T, and without hesitation the rep took my SIM card out, inserted it into a different phone, booted that phone, gave the card back to me, and it worked. It has happened twice since then, and my solution has been to insert my SIM card into an old blackberry I no longer use, but keep charged now just for this. and boot it up. As soon as the phone is all the way up I get the message that the SIM card is full and to please delete some messages, AND all the messages that I 'delete'd from my S2 are right there, obviously only deleted from view and apparently clogging up my SIM. So I believe it is indeed an S2 problem, and am still looking for a prevention, not a temporary relief. Thanks for any help!  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is not a stale issue at all.  I've had the same problem not receiving texts but able to send them out.  I tried everything; calling the 1-800 number switching to a new SIM card.  The only thing that did work was to factory reset the phone.  Make sure u take the SD card out before you do this.  I have actually had to do this 3 times within the last 3 months.  It randomly starts up again and I don't receive messages.  I can't figure out why this keeps happening.  I hope this may help someone and maybe someone can tell me why I have to do this every other week.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

We had that problem on a Galaxy II.  The rep at the store couldn't help.  Even a new SIM card didn't help.  He played around with settings - but problem was not resolved.  He recommended a factory reset.  We tried everything we could last night - to no avail.  And finally this morning, we did a factory reset. Still no resolution.  Called the ATT tech support - where we discoveredt the the server number for texting, had been changed to the phone number.  We changed that number, and problem is fully resolved.  For Android...: 1) go to your messaging, 2) click on the menu & then settings, 3) scroll down to "message center" & open.  The number should begin with a +.  If it doesn't, or is your phone's phone number - you need to find out what number is supposed to be in there - and make the change.  Hope that helps.  Some of you, anyway.  We are extremely disappointed in this failure.  As a result..., we'll take two actions.  First..., these will be our last Samsung phones - this problem was unacceptably inconvenient and with no information about how/why it occured.  We can only assume it was the phone.  Second..., when our plan contract expires - we'll likely move to Verizon.  They've improved their coverage in our area (Eugene, OR) to the point that they're basically kicking ATTs butt.  I'm tired of my 4G signal reverting to Edge.  My iPad is Verizon, and I've never seen it go lower than a full 5-bar signal.  Even my friend's Verizon smart-phones are kicking our butts.  And our experience a the local ATT store was not great - in that, they should have been able to resolve this problem. To bad.  I've been a happy ATT customer since the beginning.  But they're slacking, big time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I too had the issue of not receiving texts. This happened abruptly. I called on AT&T online help chat. A tech worked on the issue for approx an hour without fixing it and no idea what was wrong. I was advised to take to AT&T Service store which I did in Tulsa. 3 and then a 4th tech tried everything they could but did not fix it. I was told my phone had a soft ware corruption and I needed a new phone. I had bought it from a AT&T private retailer called Redsky at the mall and purchased the insurance from them, so I had to return to that store. I went there and was helped by a young man who, from my first impression, I did not have high expectations of. He looked at my phone and said the software had not been updated even though I was doing the software update on the phone. Apparently with Samsung Android you have to download software upgrades from your computer. I left the phone with him expecting to return to complete insurance paperwork. Well, when I went back, the phone was fixed, software updates completed, backed up on Google cloud. When I asked him his name and the store manager's name so that I could send my thanks to he gave me his card. His name is Andrew and he is the Store Manager! He is a brilliant young man and very kind and helpful. A simple fix by a very young man and 4 techs at the service store could not figure it out. I may go back to let them know. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.