The Samsung Galaxy S24
cwizardtx's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Friday, May 4th, 2012 1:48 AM

Galaxy Nexus GSM on AT&T

Works great.  I love the ability to use a non AT&T branded device, free from their stock pile of apps.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Can you send and receive text messages? mine does not work, other than that it works great.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, I wish that more non-carrier branded devices existed in the US.

Mentor

• 

87 Messages

12 years ago

Works great for me as well.  I moved my SIM from my Galaxy S II to my new Galaxy Nexus three weeks ago and have had zero problems.  I may just stay with un-branded international GSM phones from now on.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

@phoboscmc wrote:

Can you send and receive text messages? mine does not work, other than that it works great.

You may have to set your SMS message center number. Read http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1412261 and use the +13123149810 as message center number. You may also be able to hit refresh and have it read the SMSC off the SIM card.

Here's a discussion about the bug in ICS: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22162

Another workaround suggested is to put your SIM into a non-ICS device and save the SMS center number to the SIM using that phone, then all should work.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting, I'm considering doing this, did you buy it straight from Google's Play Store?  How is speed and battery life?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

I can't tell who you were asking, but I'll give my answers.  When I had the phone on AT&T the speed was OK, but nothing to write home about.  I averaged around 2Mbps down.  The battery life is fine (a whole day with around 30% left).  I've had mine since November and got it from Expansys.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

I recieved my Google Galaxy Nexus yesterday directly from Google (ordered from the PLAY Storefront) and the speeds are about the same as my prior phone, which is say about 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

As this is a phone and not say my hone i-net connection I am satisfied by the speeds I am seeing, could they be better? Sure, but for web browsing and the like it is fast enough.

Dan

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Let me be clear with my question by providing some background. I bought and received a Nexus 4 direct from Google, but had to return it because of stated AT&T policies against fully supporting unlocked phones ... including the Nexus 4 (the voice part worked, but I got basically 7KB download speeds, yes, kilobits, not megabits). Is the Galaxy Nexus in the same boat as the Nexus 4 or not? I really really loved the Nexus 4, but could not tolerate the EDGE network only speeds I was getting and after much internet research to fix the issue (various APN hacks, etc.) followed by many support calls with AT&T as well. Their answer was that they would not (technology has nothing to do with it) WOULD NOT support HSPA+ speeds or even 3G speeds for the Nexus 4. So, I want to know if the Galaxy Nexus is technically supported and fully usable on the AT&T network unlike its younger brother?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@CrazyMac9 wrote:
Let me be clear with my question by providing some background. I bought and received a Nexus 4 direct from Google, but had to return it because of stated AT&T policies against fully supporting unlocked phones ... including the Nexus 4 (the voice part worked, but I got basically 7KB download speeds, yes, kilobits, not megabits). Is the Galaxy Nexus in the same boat as the Nexus 4 or not? I really really loved the Nexus 4, but could not tolerate the EDGE network only speeds I was getting and after much internet research to fix the issue (various APN hacks, etc.) followed by many support calls with AT&T as well. Their answer was that they would not (technology has nothing to do with it) WOULD NOT support HSPA+ speeds or even 3G speeds for the Nexus 4. So, I want to know if the Galaxy Nexus is technically supported and fully usable on the AT&T network unlike its younger brother?

AT&T will not "technically support" any phone that isn't sold by them (AT&T branded).  All they are saying is that AT&T simply aren't going to provide any technical support for a device that they don't have any control of, or knowledge base to support.

I haven't been following the Nexus 4 very closely.  Have you found others with this problem?  It should be fully compatible with AT&T's HSPA 3G network.  Its not terribley complicated, any phone that is compatible with HSPA 850 and 1900 MHz and is not SIM locked to another carrier should work.  AT&T has no control over what devices will work or not on their network (aside from blacklisting IMEI numbers of stolen devices).  As long as the phone has the proper band compatibility, it should work.  There is something else going wrong with the Nexus 4 you had, maybe a defect.  Normally I'd say the APN was screwed up, but you already said you tried that route.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@CrazyMac9 wrote:

I just put my AT&T SIM card in my Nexus 4.  The data works for actual webpages, but I can't run a SpeedTest on it.  I get ping results longer than one second, and the download and upload tests won't run.  I noticed that webpages take a little longer to load, but once loaded, they were fine.  Clicking on links within the webpages brought up the new page blazing fast (I didn't realize that the page had actually changed at first).

All that to say that other than running a SpeedTest, I'm not having problems using either the Nexus 4 or the international Galaxy Nexus on AT&T (from several months ago).  Please note that I only tested data; I didn't test voice or text messaging capabilities.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.