The Samsung Galaxy S24
ghanson's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 1:43 AM

GS4: KitKat Update Disables Using Phone as Wifi Hotspot

I've been happily using pdaNet+ to provide wifi connectivity to my Galaxy Note 10.1.  At least, until the 4.4.2 KitKat update hit.  Now the phone won't act as a hotspot leaving my Note dead in the water.

The pdaNet+ authors say it is a "feature" that AT&T put into KitKat.

Is there a way to bring back the ability to use my phone as a personal hotspot? 

Does AT&T provide a way to use my GS4 as a personal wifi hotspot?  I'm not doing anything nefarious - just providing wifi to my own devices...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

do you have unlimited data?  if not just use the built in wifi hotspot in the phone settings

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Do you mean Wi-Fi Direct?

Will that allow me to provide wireless internet to my Note?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Found it.

Settings > Connections > More Networks > Tethering and portable hotspot

I'll give it a go tonight.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ghanson wrote:

I've been happily using pdaNet+ to provide wifi connectivity to my Galaxy Note 10.1.  At least, until the 4.4.2 KitKat update hit.  Now the phone won't act as a hotspot leaving my Note dead in the water.

The pdaNet+ authors say it is a "feature" that AT&T put into KitKat.

Is there a way to bring back the ability to use my phone as a personal hotspot? 

Does AT&T provide a way to use my GS4 as a personal wifi hotspot?  I'm not doing anything nefarious - just providing wifi to my own devices...

do you have the correct data pln on your device to allow wifi tethering or are you using a 3rd party app to bypass the restriction?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

wingrider01: I do have a data plan and was using a third party app.

GLIMMERMAN76: Thanks for the directions.

I turned on the native Wi-Fi Hotspot and connected my Galaxy Note.  It is not only working perfectly it is also fast!  KitKat broke the third party app but the stock OS is still functioning.  (I don't have an unlimited data plan so maybe that is the key.)

Thanks for the help; I'm back in business.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

no problem most people dont know that its really easy to use the built in hotspot.  But if you have a unlimited data plan att will want money for using it.  Dont get me started on that

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.