The Samsung Galaxy S24
hongapenga's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, August 4th, 2013 4:25 AM

GPS satellite

does turning on the gps satellite on my lg optimus l7 going to cost me any money because i dont have a data plan and i want to use the app strava which track my cycling distance

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Do you mean for locatiion etc? Yes that would require use of data, and would recommend having a data plan before turning it on to avoid any fees. 🙂

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

GPS itself does not use data, but if the app has to download a map, it will use data. According to a post from one of their support team members:

Hello,

No Strava will not transfer any data during recording, it only requires GPS connection. It will, of course, need to be connected to cell or wifi to upload the ride or to pull the data required to update your feed upon logging in to the app. We don't recommend using airplane mode during recording because the iPhone does prefer the cell connection to assist in triangulation especially when first starting recording (it will actually be required to start recording) or when the phone loses GPS connection during recording.

Cheers,

Travis

Strava Support Team

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have found that if you turn on the GPS and you don't have a data plan, it doesn't want to actually turn on.

Just saying

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Zombiehunter wrote:
I have found that if you turn on the GPS and you don't have a data plan, it doesn't want to actually turn on.

Just saying

Really?  You mean the option "GPS satellites" in Settings>Location (may vary slightly by device), right?  Not using an app like Google Maps.

If so (simpy turning on GPS), that makes zero sense.  There are actually a number of useful apps and reasons to turn on GPS with no data (including Strava, apparently), as simply determing your latitude and longitude (and changes thereof) can be used for a number of useful purposes.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

11 years ago

redpoint73, I might have been thinking of a data SIGNAL rather than a data plan. I live in the foothills area of my state and a data is sketchy. If I have no data signal, GPS will not work. Sorry for my confusion yesterday, probably hadn't enough wine yet.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Zombiehunter wrote:
redpoint73, I might have been thinking of a data SIGNAL rather than a data plan. I live in the foothills area of my state and a data is sketchy. If I have no data signal, GPS will not work. Sorry for my confusion yesterday, probably hadn't enough wine yet.

That still doesn't make any sense.  GPS does not require any sort of data connection to function.  GPS broadcasts and receives a simple signal direct to/from the GPS satellite network, and will derive latitude and longitude from that information.  GPS should not be confused with Google Maps, or other navigation/mapping solutions, which may require a data network to stream the actual map data.

GPS is designed to, and should work, regardless of whether you have any sort of cell network signal.  The Strava bike/running apps named by the OP is a good example of why this should be so.  If you were biking or hiking out in the wilderness, you would still want to be able to track your progress, even if the data signal is weak or even non-existant.  There are other examples, such as hiking mapping solutions, where you can pre-load the maps to the phone, and still be able to navigate in the absence of a cell signal.  Even Google Maps will let you pre-cache maps sections, in the event you travel to a location and do not want to access the data network.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

11 years ago

In surly not disagreeing with you at all. I live in the foothills and data can be spotty. When I'm in an area with no signal, my GPS function advises that, "satellite signal lost, attempting to acquire", or something along those lines. When I regain a data signal, then my GPS state working. This occurred on my previous phone and now on my new HTC one.
Now, if I am coming from a dates signal to a dead zone, my navigation will continue to advice turn by turn... Sometimes. However, going from a dead zone, GPS will not squire satellite signals. And it's not that there are no or few satellites overhead here. In my home I have one/two bars and I have WiFi. There are 9-12 satellites at any given time so I'm not sure if it is a hardware or software issue with AT&T, because I agree that if I'm outside with that many satellites overhead but I don't have a data signal, why won't my GPS acquire signals

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Stupid A-GPS...

Since you seem to be in a rural area, have you considered going with offline maps for your navigation needs?

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yup, figured that out a while ago.
Thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.