GPRS

Contributor

GPRS

Can anyone tell me what GPRS is used for on an android phone?

Message 1 of 10 (34,768 Views)
Highlighted
Guru
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: GPRS

It's the cell signal below Edge. There's LTE, HSPA+, HSPA, EDGE then GPRS.
Message 2 of 10 (34,758 Views)
Professor

Why does GPRS appear many times in my account history? I too don't understand what GPRS is used for since my phones always display 3G for talk and also 3G for data.
Message 3 of 10 (34,749 Views)
Former Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

GRPS stands for General Packet Radio Service and is the technology used by wireless carriers to transport data across their network.

By breaking the data up into packets the network can transport the data at faster speeds and greater reliability. 

Here is some additional information: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54627&cv=820,742#fbid=9yVmkRdfYue

@ilikewireless - where do you see grps on your bill? I just took a look at mine and don't see it. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (34,732 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

jamileh wrote:

GRPS stands for General Packet Radio Service and is the technology used by wireless carriers to transport data across their network.

By breaking the data up into packets the network can transport the data at faster speeds and greater reliability. 

Here is some additional information: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54627&cv=820,742#fbid=9yVmkRdfYue

@ilikewireless - where do you see grps on your bill? I just took a look at mine and don't see it. 

@Jamileh:

Here's a screenshot.  I understand that it may be just a label for data use, and not the actual technology because I am sure I get 3G for browsing @600 kbps - 1.2 mbps. It can't mean GPRS because that's slower than EDGE.

So back to the original question, my answer would be that GPRS in this instance is a category label for data use. I have no way of knowing if the OP means the indicator on the phone(ouch) or the label in an account history.

Message 5 of 10 (34,724 Views)

My guess is that, or for a brief period you were in an area that dropped to GPRS/EDGE.

Key thing there - note that the charge was $0.00 - so it's just irrelevant clutter on your bill.

Message 6 of 10 (34,722 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I think entropy nailed it. Note the call time is 0/0 kb use it small so it may just be reflecting a momentary switch to GRPS. 

I'm going to do a bit more research though. I want to be certain. Smiley Happy

<edit - kb, not call time>

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 10 (34,716 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

That was 5 kilobytes deducted from my data plan. So it's a valid record. So yeah, it's for the sake of knowing what it is that we talk about it.

Looking forward to the result of your research.

"There are known knowns. There are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns."
   - Donald Rumsfeld

Message 8 of 10 (34,711 Views)
Former Community Manager

Right, sorry. 

KB being deducted is expected as you're using data. The tiny amount points to a very brief switch to GPRS though. 

--------------

Message 9 of 10 (34,708 Views)
Professor

Those are all good observations. The formatted account history is buried under a blue arrow at the end of the line items. The format may be different if anyone has other types of phones and/or features.
Message 10 of 10 (34,687 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.