The Samsung Galaxy S24
thomas9017's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 1:12 AM

GPRS

Can anyone tell me what GPRS is used for on an android phone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

1K Messages

12 years ago

It's the cell signal below Edge. There's LTE, HSPA+, HSPA, EDGE then GPRS.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

GRPS stands for General Packet Radio Service and is the technology used by wireless carriers to transport data across their network.

By breaking the data up into packets the network can transport the data at faster speeds and greater reliability. 

Here is some additional information: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54627&cv=820,742#fbid=9yVmkRdfYue

@ilikewireless - where do you see grps on your bill? I just took a look at mine and don't see it. 

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

Why does GPRS appear many times in my account history? I too don't understand what GPRS is used for since my phones always display 3G for talk and also 3G for data.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

GRPS stands for General Packet Radio Service and is the technology used by wireless carriers to transport data across their network.

By breaking the data up into packets the network can transport the data at faster speeds and greater reliability. 

Here is some additional information: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54627&cv=820,742#fbid=9yVmkRdfYue

@ilikewireless - where do you see grps on your bill? I just took a look at mine and don't see it. 

@jamileh:

@here's a screenshot.  I understand that it may be just a label for data use, and not the actual technology because I am sure I get 3G for browsing @600 kbps - 1.2 mbps. It can't mean GPRS because that's slower than EDGE.

So back to the original question, my answer would be that GPRS in this instance is a category label for data use. I have no way of knowing if the OP means the indicator on the phone(ouch) or the label in an account history.
accthist.jpg

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

My guess is that, or for a brief period you were in an area that dropped to GPRS/EDGE.

Key thing there - note that the charge was $0.00 - so it's just irrelevant clutter on your bill.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I think entropy nailed it. Note the call time is 0/0 kb use it small so it may just be reflecting a momentary switch to GRPS. 

I'm going to do a bit more research though. I want to be certain. 🙂

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

That was 5 kilobytes deducted from my data plan. So it's a valid record. So yeah, it's for the sake of knowing what it is that we talk about it.

Looking forward to the result of your research.

"There are known knowns. There are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns."
   - Donald Rumsfeld

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Right, sorry. 

KB being deducted is expected as you're using data. The tiny amount points to a very brief switch to GPRS though. 

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

Those are all good observations. The formatted account history is buried under a blue arrow at the end of the line items. The format may be different if anyone has other types of phones and/or features.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.