GINGERBREAD ?????????

Contributor

GINGERBREAD ?????????

Why dosen"t anyone from at&t, let us know when we will recieve gingerbread updates for infuse and captivate???                              Does anyone from at&t ever read these messages??Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 24 (3,185 Views)
Master

Re: GINGERBREAD ?????????

Did you ever try a search of the forum? This is a customer forum.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Community-Discussion/AT-amp-T-s-commitment-to-Android-upgrades/td-p...
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 24 (3,158 Views)
Contributor

Yes , i"ve searched the forums!

Message 3 of 24 (3,148 Views)
Professor

ATT is the slowest in releasing updates , mainly because they want their footprint in everything. If you are bold enough to not wait on att, and want the update early, go to sites like xda and see what they've got going on, might fine an early release there if you're lucky.

Message 4 of 24 (3,130 Views)
Contributor

ATT - You are responsible in part

ATT- By dragging your feet in providing software updates to your phones, you  are setting up the userbase to be fooled into downloading and installing bootleg software from the Internet.  The temptation to download one of these custom roms increases as the time since updates are made available grows.  

By doing this you are making the Apple product more powerful because they release updates in a timely and periodic manner.  You are lessening the brand of Android but taking so long.  Apple really loves you guys!  Just keep fueling their engine!  Someday, perhaps they will be telling you how to run your business!

Message 5 of 24 (3,096 Views)
Contributor

i agree with you ...I have had the Infuse for some time now, and everyday I find my self searching the internet for news on the AT&T version of the update. I can go to one of the sources and down load the boot leg but i dont want to have the problems with it. My wife and daughter have the atrix, and they have the 2.3.5 and it makes me very upset...thats all i have to say
Message 6 of 24 (3,072 Views)
Contributor

Thankfully, Verizon is coming to Alaska next year. As all other infuse customers, and Android fans, I've had enough! Ice Cream sandwich will be out next month and no gingerbread for the infuse yet! I guess it's fine now a days to puchase a smartphone and have it become obsolete 3 months later. Bottom line is, I'll be moving to Verizon, first in line, even if it means getting the iPhone! Great job AT&T!

Message 7 of 24 (3,056 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been with AT&T since 2005 but I am planning on paying the early termination and going to verizon or I will be rooting my phone, one way or another I WILL get what I want. Enough is enough !!! They dont even have a good avatar for my captivate since its not 4g and I didnt see a Samsung label in the vendor section of the avatars go figure

Message 8 of 24 (2,753 Views)

rgholston4435 wrote:
i agree with you ...I have had the Infuse for some time now, and everyday I find my self searching the internet for news on the AT&T version of the update. I can go to one of the sources and down load the boot leg but i dont want to have the problems with it. My wife and daughter have the atrix, and they have the 2.3.5 and it makes me very upset...thats all i have to say

Which problems?  If you want something fairly stable, go with one of the firmwares based on UXKG3 - that's not a bootleg, it's official Rogers Canadian firmware.  It is possible to get bone-stock UXKG3, but to be honest, alternatives like Infused v2.x provide a better experience (debloating, cleanup, and backporting of the camera libraries from the UCKI3 leak, which is about the only good thing from the UCKI3 leak.)

The only thing you'll lose by going to Rogers Gingerbread for the Infuse is HDMI at this point.

If you're on a Captivate - that is so close to the I9000 hardware-wise that it can run stock I9000 ROMs with very little modification, and the required modifications have been identified.  As a result there are some EXTREMELY stable ROMs for the Captivate, such as Serendipity VII (which also ran great on the Infuse.)

Message 9 of 24 (2,703 Views)
Tutor

If I would install the I9000 ROMs wont AT&T regulations be violated? Will it affect my contract with AT&T? If no how do I get this update? Can you please post a link for the update?

Thanks

Message 10 of 24 (2,674 Views)

dineshbaj wrote:

If I would install the I9000 ROMs wont AT&T regulations be violated? Will it affect my contract with AT&T? If no how do I get this update? Can you please post a link for the update?

Thanks

Officially, it voids your device warranty - so part of this depends on whether your device is still within its warranty period.

The actual risk is very little as long as you are EXTREMELY careful about flashing bootloaders - as long as you don't touch those, it's next to impossible to hardbrick a Samsung device.

I suggest reading the Captivate or Infuse sections of forum.xda-developers.com - do note, spend some time reading before posting!  Do your research on flashing methods and such.

For both Captivate and Infuse owners, Serendipity VII is a pretty good bet.  Infused is also good for Infuse owners.

Message 11 of 24 (2,139 Views)
Tutor

Biggest problem for me is that most of the Gingerbread ROMs (for Infuse at least) don't have working Blutooth implementation.

Message 12 of 24 (1,936 Views)
Teacher

The final answer seems to be that AT&T will *NOT* be releasing gingerbread for the Captivate.  They are refusing to confirm that they will be releasing it and since the captivate is now an obsolete phone the chances of being updated fade by the day.

AT&T knows that no matter what most people will remain customers, and that no matter what people will buy a new phone that AT&T in turn will refuse to keep up to date.

Message 13 of 24 (1,935 Views)

mingano wrote:

The final answer seems to be that AT&T will *NOT* be releasing gingerbread for the Captivate.  They are refusing to confirm that they will be releasing it and since the captivate is now an obsolete phone the chances of being updated fade by the day.

AT&T knows that no matter what most people will remain customers, and that no matter what people will buy a new phone that AT&T in turn will refuse to keep up to date.

Where's your evidence for this?  Your claim is in direct conflict with the presence of multiple leaks (including UCKK4) and the presence of kernel source for UCKK4 on opensource.samsung.com - It's almost unheard of for leaks to have kernel source posted, so there's a good chance UCKK4 is going to go official soon.

Message 14 of 24 (1,880 Views)
Guru

mingano wrote:

Yep, goes against most wireless carriers business model.  Why would a business offer a software update, that might add new features, or fix problems, when after a year, they can hook you into a new phone, and tie you into an updated contract for another 2 years?

Message 15 of 24 (1,844 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.