The Samsung Galaxy S24
tss2009's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 6:51 PM

GINGERBREAD ?????????

Why dosen"t anyone from at&t, let us know when we will recieve gingerbread updates for infuse and captivate???                              Does anyone from at&t ever read these messages??Smiley Mad

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@dineshbaj wrote:

If I would install the I9000 ROMs wont AT&T regulations be violated? Will it affect my contract with AT&T? If no how do I get this update? Can you please post a link for the update?

Thanks

Officially, it voids your device warranty - so part of this depends on whether your device is still within its warranty period.

The actual risk is very little as long as you are EXTREMELY careful about flashing bootloaders - as long as you don't touch those, it's next to impossible to hardbrick a Samsung device.

I suggest reading the Captivate or Infuse sections of forum.xda-developers.com - do note, spend some time reading before posting!  Do your research on flashing methods and such.

For both Captivate and Infuse owners, Serendipity VII is a pretty good bet.  Infused is also good for Infuse owners.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Biggest problem for me is that most of the Gingerbread ROMs (for Infuse at least) don't have working Blutooth implementation.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

The final answer seems to be that AT&T will *NOT* be releasing gingerbread for the Captivate.  They are refusing to confirm that they will be releasing it and since the captivate is now an obsolete phone the chances of being updated fade by the day.

AT&T knows that no matter what most people will remain customers, and that no matter what people will buy a new phone that AT&T in turn will refuse to keep up to date.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@mingano wrote:

The final answer seems to be that AT&T will *NOT* be releasing gingerbread for the Captivate.  They are refusing to confirm that they will be releasing it and since the captivate is now an obsolete phone the chances of being updated fade by the day.

AT&T knows that no matter what most people will remain customers, and that no matter what people will buy a new phone that AT&T in turn will refuse to keep up to date.

Where's your evidence for this?  Your claim is in direct conflict with the presence of multiple leaks (including UCKK4) and the presence of kernel source for UCKK4 on opensource.samsung.com - It's almost unheard of for leaks to have kernel source posted, so there's a good chance UCKK4 is going to go official soon.

Guru

• 

361 Messages

12 years ago

@mingano wrote:

Yep, goes against most wireless carriers business model.  Why would a business offer a software update, that might add new features, or fix problems, when after a year, they can hook you into a new phone, and tie you into an updated contract for another 2 years?

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

> Where's your evidence for this?

Where is my evidence that AT&T is refusing to confirm that they will be releasing it? Ask them. Ask them for a guarantee, in writing, signed by somebody with authority within the company.

If they release it, great. But that's a pretty big if. Some other guy tried to prove that AT&T was going to be releasing the update by posting a link to some AT&T page that contained a link to a Samsung page that doesn't exist. Whoop de freaking do.

Show me the update then I will believe. Until then, enjoy your vaporware.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

Go to opensource.samsung.com, search for SGH-I897 - note that they are providing kernel source for UCKK4.  They have NEVER provided source for unofficial/unreleased builds, especially for phones that can just run I9000 firmwares with almost no modifications.

So that says UCKK4 is likely to go live fairly soon.

(I can't directly link, as their search system doesn't provide a new URL when search results are presented.)

I'm not sure when that source drop went live, but right now I think the longest Samsung has provided source in advance of an actual release was around 2-2.5 weeks (for the I777).

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

I went to that link and did the search as instructed.  I received the following:

"No file has been uploaded in this category."

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@mingano wrote:

I went to that link and did the search as instructed.  I received the following:

"No file has been uploaded in this category."

You typoed your search.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

The LG Forums are littered with comments about AT&T's unwillingness to upgrade the phones to 2.3.  I have an LG Thrive, and had received assurances from Tech Support that a rollout was happening to distribute 2.3 - but later this was quickly disavowed by LG and AT&T.  

The general responses on www.lgforum.com and plus.google.com folks is that AT&T will not be releasing updates to Android phones.  What you get is what you paid for.  With counter arguments stating that AT&T and other carriers are getting snooty about people rooting their phones and using workarounds for tethering.  It is rumored that if you have rooted your phone AT&T will not update the software on it.

Sadly, AT&T still refuses to answer to its customer base, and seemingly still has its head firmly set on not  letting users use their data space as they see fit.

As for me, my last ties to AT&T expire in June.  Time for me to close my account then and go with something current, and has unlimited data plans.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.