For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
sreeram83's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 7th, 2017 2:03 AM

Dual Sim phones with ATT 2G shutdown

Now that ATT has shutdown 2G connection, how can we use Dual Sim phones with ATT?  I have Honor 5x phone that I use with 1 Prepaid H2o Sim and another ATT official SIM that has both data and voice plans.  Since H2O also works on ATT network, both the SIMs do not connect to 2G network.  In my phone 1 sim will connect to 3G/4G network while the other SIM will be connected to 2G network.  Since both the sims work on ATT network, I am not able to connect one of the SIMs to mobile network.  Is there a solution to make my ATT SIM connect using 2G connection?  Or make my phone connect to 4G network on both the sims? 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sreeram83 Is the second SIM slot solely for 2G service?

(I think Tmo is planning to support 2g until 2020)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

My phone can support 4g on both the sim but only one sim at a time. Hence if I make SIM1 as 3G/4G then SIM2 will connect to only 2G network and viceversa.  Is there a way to make android phone connect to 3G/4G on both the SIM at the same time?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76  this is up your alley, I lean toward no, but I think the OP would like to know why not.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

1 radio to each connection. No more 2g means you lose that radio working. Sim 2 on that phone should be 2g only

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I don't think there's a good solution. In some phone, you can designate which sim is the voice call sim in the phone's menu. If your phone is like this, you can disable one sim temporarily, this would allow the other sim to have 4G/LTE. In some other phone, the sim slot determines which sim gets LTE, and which gets 2G.

When AT&T told you your 2G phone would no longer work after they turn off 2G, they also meant your dual sim 2G+LTE phone would turn into essentially a one-sim phone.

The solution is to buy a new dual sim phone that supports at least 3G for the voice sim, or switch voice carrier to one that supports 2G, or carry two phones. Sadly, I face the same problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I  have no carrier left in my area that supports 2G..  For what its worth.. the only carrier that will work with my 2nd sim is Freedompop.. And it only works when my phone is connected to WIFI.. For what its worth.. I can use the 2nd sim (make and receive calls) with Freedom pop...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.