Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 10, 2012
6:37:35 PM
View profile
Downgrade GS3 From Jelly Bean to ICS

I was looking forward to the release of Jelly Bean for this phone and after having spent a few days with it the firmware is a disaster.  I have had random freezes, the phone just shutting off, and overall laggy performance.  Performance aside the phone shutting off on its own is completely unacceptable.  It happens at least twice a day now and it's starting to affect my business as I'm missing important calls throughout the day.

While these problems may be fixed with an update this is something I can not wait for especially given the time it took for this release to come out.  I would like to go back to Ice Cream Sandwich at this point because this phone is useless otherwise.  Can someone give me some direction as to how I would go about doing this?

I was looking forward to the release of Jelly Bean for this phone and after having spent a few days with it the firmware is a disaster.  I have had random freezes, the phone just shutting off, and overall laggy performance.  Performance aside the phone shutting off on its own is completely unacceptable.  It happens at least twice a day now and it's starting to affect my business as I'm missing important calls throughout the day.

While these problems may be fixed with an update this is something I can not wait for especially given the time it took for this release to come out.  I would like to go back to Ice Cream Sandwich at this point because this phone is useless otherwise.  Can someone give me some direction as to how I would go about doing this?

Downgrade GS3 From Jelly Bean to ICS

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 8:04:31 PM
(0)
Expert

Your best bet would be to rrefer to this forum link here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1949362 for the specific instructions you will need.

WARNING: What ever you do, be careful...no matter what anyone says, not knowing what you are doing (or following the advice "it's easy, just go for it" ) can easily turn your $50.00 to 599.00 phone into a paperweight.  You can mod your phone, for sure, many do... but you can also break it permanently and void the warranty, too.
Originaly Written by FoneJunkie

Your best bet would be to rrefer to this forum link here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1949362 for the specific instructions you will need.

WARNING: What ever you do, be careful...no matter what anyone says, not knowing what you are doing (or following the advice "it's easy, just go for it" ) can easily turn your $50.00 to 599.00 phone into a paperweight.  You can mod your phone, for sure, many do... but you can also break it permanently and void the warranty, too.
Originaly Written by FoneJunkie

Re: Downgrade GS3 From Jelly Bean to ICS

2 of 4 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2012 7:08:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Wow, that's rather concerning. To "fix" my phone I run the risk of bricking it and voiding the warranty. Definitely won't do that, I can't have any more downtime with this thing.

What is AT&T doing about this!?

If I go down to the store I bought it at would they be able to flash it back or give me a new phone? I only got my GS3 back in Oct and need some kind of solution without the risk of breaking it even further and voiding the warranty.
Wow, that's rather concerning. To "fix" my phone I run the risk of bricking it and voiding the warranty. Definitely won't do that, I can't have any more downtime with this thing.

What is AT&T doing about this!?

If I go down to the store I bought it at would they be able to flash it back or give me a new phone? I only got my GS3 back in Oct and need some kind of solution without the risk of breaking it even further and voiding the warranty.

3 of 4 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2012 9:03:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

After looking around online some more I see some other poeple have the shut off problem.  A factory reset was one solution suggested...  When I first upgraded to JB and had issues I used Kies again and did a firmware upgrade and initialize this time.  I believe this is essentially the same as a factory reset as it wiped my phone and reinstalled the JB firmware.  Needless to say the problems still persisted Smiley Sad

After looking around online some more I see some other poeple have the shut off problem.  A factory reset was one solution suggested...  When I first upgraded to JB and had issues I used Kies again and did a firmware upgrade and initialize this time.  I believe this is essentially the same as a factory reset as it wiped my phone and reinstalled the JB firmware.  Needless to say the problems still persisted Smiley Sad

4 of 4 (1,723 Views)