Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

Scholar

Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

I have my code to unlock my phone (Infuse 4G), and instructions from ATT Customer Care said that I will need to insert a different carrier SIM Card so that the unlock screen comes up to enter the code.

Well, I don't have another carrier SIM Card, and want to unlock the phone so that I can sell it for anyone to use on any carrier.

Is there another way to unlock with out using the non-ATT SIM Card?

Thanks!

BMan

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 17
Contributor

Re: Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

I posted this on the forum, where it got 0 replies.  I contacted @ATT, where they left me hanging while they investigated.  It's been over 20 hours with no response.  You sound like you actually know what you're talking about, and I hope you'll help me.

Was given my unlock code. After replacing the AT&T sim with a T-Mobile (from 2014, a prepaid windows phone), I restarted the phone. "invalid Sim card. Network locked" was the first message. Then "unable to download", even though I never attempted to download. No place to enter unlock code appeared. Started seeing the splash screen which took over all functions. It said "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped." The only way to get rid of this screen was to click on the "ok" at the bottom of this screen. Found instructions on Google for finding the unlock screen, and entered #7465625*638*# on the keypad. Every 5 seconds I had to stop entering the #'s to click on the ok for the "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped." screen, which kept taking over. The screen with the space to enter the unlock code appeared, black, with "Personalization" at the top of this screen. But the splash screen with "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped." kept taking over before I could enter the unlock code. Remember, every 5 seconds? Clicking on the ok to make this screen temporarily go away left me with a blank "Personalization" screen. Clicking on that made the screen to enter the unlock code reappear, but then the "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped." reappeared and took over. This repeats, and the unlock screen was never visible long enough to enter the code!

I had been wondering whether the actual sim itself was the problem, because it's old and hasn't been used in years.  But you said old doesn't matter.  Can you think of what might be the problem, and how to correct it?  Thanks!

Message 16 of 17
ACE - Professor

Re: Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

The code #7465625*638*# to get the unlock screen is for Samsung phones only. LG has a different code which is tie to the model number of the phone. I don't know if other brands have a key in code to get the unlock screen in lieu of the 3rd party sim card.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support