Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 7, 2012
12:17:52 PM
View profile
Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

I have my code to unlock my phone (Infuse 4G), and instructions from ATT Customer Care said that I will need to insert a different carrier SIM Card so that the unlock screen comes up to enter the code.

Well, I don't have another carrier SIM Card, and want to unlock the phone so that I can sell it for anyone to use on any carrier.

Is there another way to unlock with out using the non-ATT SIM Card?

Thanks!

BMan

I have my code to unlock my phone (Infuse 4G), and instructions from ATT Customer Care said that I will need to insert a different carrier SIM Card so that the unlock screen comes up to enter the code.

Well, I don't have another carrier SIM Card, and want to unlock the phone so that I can sell it for anyone to use on any carrier.

Is there another way to unlock with out using the non-ATT SIM Card?

Thanks!

BMan

Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 7, 2012 12:48:46 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:50:22 PM

It should work. You don't have to have a working SIM. As long as it is not an AT&T SIM, it will ask you for unlock code first thing the phone boots up.

Also beware, sometimes AT&T gives out wrong unlock code. You have a limited retries (5 times IIRC) before your phone permanently locked to AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:21:21 PM
(0)
Professor

You need a nother carrier's SIM to unlock the phone.

You need a nother carrier's SIM to unlock the phone.

Re: Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

2 of 13 (67,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:27:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by BMan17 on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:28:36 PM

Thanks Max for the quick reply.

Therefore, for me, my best course of action is to find a buddy's phone that's not on ATT and put their SIM Card into my phone?

Then go from there.

Another question, would my local corp ATT store have the ability to put a non-ATT SIM Card in?

Thanks Max for the quick reply.

Therefore, for me, my best course of action is to find a buddy's phone that's not on ATT and put their SIM Card into my phone?

Then go from there.

Another question, would my local corp ATT store have the ability to put a non-ATT SIM Card in?

[ Edited ]
3 of 13 (67,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:34:09 PM
(0)
Professor

The store may have a SIM card laying around, but no guarantees. Your best bet is probably to borrow a friend's SIM. When I unlocked my Captivate I used a SIM that wasn't even active.

The store may have a SIM card laying around, but no guarantees. Your best bet is probably to borrow a friend's SIM. When I unlocked my Captivate I used a SIM that wasn't even active.

4 of 13 (67,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:36:16 PM
(0)
Master

BMan17 wrote:

The only other US carrier in this case is T-Mobile.

Unless one of the employee carries a T-mobile phone, the answer is NO.

BMan17 wrote:

5 of 13 (67,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:39:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

BMan17 wrote:

Hmmm, now you have me thinking, I'm at work right now, but I do have an old TMobile SIM Card from my wife's old phone at home before she swtiched to ATT in 2009. Would that work?

foxbat121 wrote:

BMan17 wrote:

Hmmm, now you have me thinking, I'm at work right now, but I do have an old TMobile SIM Card from my wife's old phone at home before she swtiched to ATT in 2009. Would that work?

6 of 13 (67,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:43:22 PM
(0)
Professor

Can't hurt to try, right?

7 of 13 (67,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 7, 2012 12:48:46 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:50:22 PM

It should work. You don't have to have a working SIM. As long as it is not an AT&T SIM, it will ask you for unlock code first thing the phone boots up.

Also beware, sometimes AT&T gives out wrong unlock code. You have a limited retries (5 times IIRC) before your phone permanently locked to AT&T.

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (67,769 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:50:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

Max69 wrote:

Ha, yeah, right, I have nothing to lose. At worst it just won't accept the SIM Card. At the same time I'd have to think once the phone sees a non-ATT SIM Card, it'll ask to unlock it, in which after I do that, I'm guessing it will try to connect to the TMobile network and get an unregistered notification or the like.

I'll try it tonight and report back.

Max69 wrote:

Ha, yeah, right, I have nothing to lose. At worst it just won't accept the SIM Card. At the same time I'd have to think once the phone sees a non-ATT SIM Card, it'll ask to unlock it, in which after I do that, I'm guessing it will try to connect to the TMobile network and get an unregistered notification or the like.

I'll try it tonight and report back.

9 of 13 (67,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:52:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Thansk Foxbat, I posted same time as you.

I saw that 5 retries warning on another post. So I'll be careful on that....

foxbat121 wrote:

10 of 13 (67,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 1:29:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by BMan17 on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34:09 PM

BMan17 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Well, that was easy.

I actually rememebered that I have an old Blackberry 7100t sitting in my desk from when I was with TMobile. Popped the TMobile SIM Card in, asked for the unlock code, and bingo, accepted.

Then I got the "SIm Card not provisioned MM*2" Which is fine cause at that point it doesn't matter.

So good call Foxbat, it worked.

Now I assume then that I don't have to put the unlock code in anymore? I did it once and now the phone is free to be used on any carrier at any time? 

BMan17 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Well, that was easy.

I actually rememebered that I have an old Blackberry 7100t sitting in my desk from when I was with TMobile. Popped the TMobile SIM Card in, asked for the unlock code, and bingo, accepted.

Then I got the "SIm Card not provisioned MM*2" Which is fine cause at that point it doesn't matter.

So good call Foxbat, it worked.

Now I assume then that I don't have to put the unlock code in anymore? I did it once and now the phone is free to be used on any carrier at any time? 

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (67,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 2:45:57 PM
(0)
Master

Once unlocked forever unlocked.

Once unlocked forever unlocked.

12 of 13 (67,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 6:14:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is a new gophone sim card considered "non AT&T"?  Can I unlock my AT&T phone with a inactive gophone sim? 

Is a new gophone sim card considered "non AT&T"?  Can I unlock my AT&T phone with a inactive gophone sim? 

13 of 13 (27,371 Views)