Helpful Links

Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

Scholar

Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

I have my code to unlock my phone (Infuse 4G), and instructions from ATT Customer Care said that I will need to insert a different carrier SIM Card so that the unlock screen comes up to enter the code.

Well, I don't have another carrier SIM Card, and want to unlock the phone so that I can sell it for anyone to use on any carrier.

Is there another way to unlock with out using the non-ATT SIM Card?

Thanks!

BMan

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 15
Professor

Re: Do you need a different SIM Card to unlock your phone?

You need a nother carrier's SIM to unlock the phone.

Message 2 of 15
Scholar

Thanks Max for the quick reply.

Therefore, for me, my best course of action is to find a buddy's phone that's not on ATT and put their SIM Card into my phone?

Then go from there.

Another question, would my local corp ATT store have the ability to put a non-ATT SIM Card in?

Message 3 of 15
Professor

The store may have a SIM card laying around, but no guarantees. Your best bet is probably to borrow a friend's SIM. When I unlocked my Captivate I used a SIM that wasn't even active.

Message 4 of 15
Master

BMan17 wrote:

Therefore, for me, my best course of action is to find a buddy's phone that's not on ATT and put their SIM Card into my phone?

The only other US carrier in this case is T-Mobile.

Another question, would my local corp ATT store have the ability to put a non-ATT SIM Card in?

Unless one of the employee carries a T-mobile phone, the answer is NO.

Message 5 of 15
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

BMan17 wrote:

The only other US carrier in this case is T-Mobile.

Unless one of the employee carries a T-mobile phone, the answer is NO.

Hmmm, now you have me thinking, I'm at work right now, but I do have an old TMobile SIM Card from my wife's old phone at home before she swtiched to ATT in 2009. Would that work?

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Professor

Can't hurt to try, right?

Message 7 of 15
Master

It should work. You don't have to have a working SIM. As long as it is not an AT&T SIM, it will ask you for unlock code first thing the phone boots up.

Also beware, sometimes AT&T gives out wrong unlock code. You have a limited retries (5 times IIRC) before your phone permanently locked to AT&T.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 15
Scholar

Max69 wrote:

Can't hurt to try, right?

Ha, yeah, right, I have nothing to lose. At worst it just won't accept the SIM Card. At the same time I'd have to think once the phone sees a non-ATT SIM Card, it'll ask to unlock it, in which after I do that, I'm guessing it will try to connect to the TMobile network and get an unregistered notification or the like.

I'll try it tonight and report back.

Message 9 of 15
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

It should work. You don't have to have a working SIM. As long as it is not an AT&T SIM, it will ask you for unlock code first thing the phone boots up.

Also beware, sometimes AT&T gives out wrong unlock code. You have a limited retries (5 times IIRC) before your phone permanently locked to AT&T.

Thansk Foxbat, I posted same time as you.

I saw that 5 retries warning on another post. So I'll be careful on that....

Message 10 of 15
Scholar

BMan17 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Thansk Foxbat, I posted same time as you.

I saw that 5 retries warning on another post. So I'll be careful on that....

Well, that was easy.

I actually rememebered that I have an old Blackberry 7100t sitting in my desk from when I was with TMobile. Popped the TMobile SIM Card in, asked for the unlock code, and bingo, accepted.

Then I got the "SIm Card not provisioned MM*2" Which is fine cause at that point it doesn't matter.

So good call Foxbat, it worked.

Now I assume then that I don't have to put the unlock code in anymore? I did it once and now the phone is free to be used on any carrier at any time? 

Message 11 of 15
Master

Once unlocked forever unlocked.

Message 12 of 15
Contributor

Is a new gophone sim card considered "non AT&T"?  Can I unlock my AT&T phone with a inactive gophone sim? 

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

I can recommend the site I used personally, namely the following one: http://sim-unlock.net . The whole process is automatic, so you'll receive you unlock code in no time. Due to detailed instructions and skillful staff I was able to unlock my phone in seconds. I came across the site when I was wading through reviews, of course the verified ones: https://www.google.com/shopping/seller?q=sim-unlock.net

Message 14 of 15
Contributor

Does anyone know just exactly how long it takes At&T to un-lock a phone? I bought my contracts out 2 weeks ago and they have been dancing me around with every excuse in the book to stall me into the next pay period. Claiming an unlock request email has expired .... even though I just submitted it 1 hr ago, with their claims to respond soon or the request expires withing 24hrs...what happened in the last hour? humph   Then I go into my account to check on unlock status, I  get service error. I have submitted over 6 unlock requests in 12 days, got case #'s 5 days ago, was told yesterday I would have a decision/response by end of day March 6th.......still nothing. I'm trying to get my phones unlocked to switch companies and keep my same phone numbers...I'm getting pretty fed up with this baloney...I was even told I was submitting the wrong account info? After 18yrs I think I darn well know what my information is......this is angering me to know end...any advice? 

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support