The Samsung Galaxy S24
dbasnett's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 4:02 PM

DON'T -> Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 4.0 Update

For the five or so months that I have had my phone I have not had a problem.  But I listened to all the buzz about ICS and had to have it.  The upgrade went fine, but since then the phone crashes periodically, or just locks up.  I am NOT a heavy user with a lot of downloaded apps and widgets.  I listen to music and use the phone, and occasionally browse the web.

If anyone knows how I can go back please let me know.  Unless there is something you really need in the latest release I wouldn't do it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

@dbasnett wrote:

@hzmt22193 wrote:

I did the update last week.  The problem I had was that when a notification (text, facebook, twitter) came in, sometimes the phone alerted with the ringtone and sometimes it came in silent.  Samsung said that they could fix it in 6 business days.  I did a factory reset and ATT sent 5 ota programs to install on the phone.  No luck.  Today the ATT warranty center downgraded to the old operating system (gingerbread?).  So we will see what happens.  I don't think I will try the upgrade again.  I guess the new software will have to come with a new phone.

I talked to the warranty folks and they are sending me a new phone.  Hopefully it has gingerbread.

Replacement phone arrived, with gingerbread installed, and once again all is well with the world.  Thank you AT&T and especially Jeci at the Jefferson City, MO AT&T store! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Couldn't agree more. I really really wish I could go back to Gingerbread.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

It is certainly possible to downgrade to Gingerbread from ICS, but you have to be a little tech savvy or willing to try

Here is a video explaining how, it says for the international version but it you can try at your own risk

http://youtu.be/3iPoFvRa9BM

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

DO NOT use I9100 downgrade instructions!

I777-specific files are at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1286432

(I need to reupload the modem packages - but you can use an ICS modem firmware with Gingerbread kernel/system.)

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

@dbasnett wrote:

For the five or so months that I have had my phone I have not had a problem.  But I listened to all the buzz about ICS and had to have it.  The upgrade went fine, but since then the phone crashes periodically, or just locks up.  I am NOT a heavy user with a lot of downloaded apps and widgets.  I listen to music and use the phone, and occasionally browse the web.

If anyone knows how I can go back please let me know.  Unless there is something you really need in the latest release I wouldn't do it.

Today I went to the AT&T store to see if they could help, and what would happen if I downgraded and bricked the phone...  On the way the phone crashed twice.  My setup is:

Phone

Bluetooth->>

Jabba Cruiser II (for hands free voice calls)

Sony  MEX-BT3000P (for music)

The AT&T rep reset the phone to factory defaults and told me to try that.  It took a while but the phone rebooted again.  I haven't noticed it crashing except in the car with the above setup, but I don't use it that much.  Right now I am testing the phone Bluetoothed to a Logitech Home Stereo Adapter to see if it has something to do with that. 

The AT&T rep told me that if I brick the phone trying to downgrade I'll be buying a new one.  This sucks!  I didn't need this release, I was happy with the phone before this.  Next time I will ignore the AT&T message saying upgrade your phone.

I'll be going back to the store in the morning to see if being a customer for 10 years means anything!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

My phone has a 16GB SD card that is about half full of music. The config I posted before has been the same since I bought the phone about 4 months ago.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

A lot of people are having a lot of problems.  My test with my Logitech device was going fine until I turned WIFI on.  It didn't reboot, but the music was very choppy.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@dbasnett wrote:

@dbasnett wrote:

Today I went to the AT&T store to see if they could help, and what would happen if I downgraded and bricked the phone...  On the way the phone crashed twice.  My setup is:

Phone

Bluetooth->>

Jabba Cruiser II (for hands free voice calls)

Sony  MEX-BT3000P (for music)

The AT&T rep reset the phone to factory defaults and told me to try that.  It took a while but the phone rebooted again.  I haven't noticed it crashing except in the car with the above setup, but I don't use it that much.  Right now I am testing the phone Bluetoothed to a Logitech Home Stereo Adapter to see if it has something to do with that. 

The AT&T rep told me that if I brick the phone trying to downgrade I'll be buying a new one.  This sucks!  I didn't need this release, I was happy with the phone before this.  Next time I will ignore the AT&T message saying upgrade your phone.

I'll be going back to the store in the morning to see if being a customer for 10 years means anything!

You can always restore your phone back to normal state if something does go wrong, but if you follow the directions, it shouldnt be too hard. I rooted my Galaxy S2 in order to do something with it and I was able to do it fine

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

Two rules, if you follow these it is nearly impossible to brick your phone:

1)  DO NOT use a PIT file when flashing.  This will repartition your phone and cause major headaches.

2)  DO NOT flash bootloaders using Odin or Heimdall.  Specifically, any update you see that is an Odin-flashable .tar file - check for boot.bin or Sbl.bin, if you see either of these, REMOVE THEM before flashing.  Also, do not flash any "Odin One-click" EXE packaged files unless you have been explicitly assured by a trusted source that the package does not contain bootloaders.

Even if you make a mistake from the category above, nearly all bricks can be recovered by sending to a JTAG recovery service such as MobileTechVideos.  These guys can resurrect anything but devices which have suffered damage due to a Samsung eMMC defect - right now the only package available now which can possibly trigger this damage is the UCLE5 stock update itself - all custom firmware for the I777 has taken measures to ensure that the trigger conditions for this bug are never met.  There's a good chance that in 2-3 weeeks, even eMMC damage will be repairable.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

I did the update last week.  The problem I had was that when a notification (text, facebook, twitter) came in, sometimes the phone alerted with the ringtone and sometimes it came in silent.  Samsung said that they could fix it in 6 business days.  I did a factory reset and ATT sent 5 ota programs to install on the phone.  No luck.  Today the ATT warranty center downgraded to the old operating system (gingerbread?).  So we will see what happens.  I don't think I will try the upgrade again.  I guess the new software will have to come with a new phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.