For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
spidertech's profile

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 5:01 PM

DO NOT check for updates on Galaxy Note 2 unless you WANT to update

So first off I would like to thank the folks at AT&T who decided it would be a good idea to outright force people to update their devices.

After checking for an update I was not asked if I wanted to download the update, but instead was forced to download the update. If I got on wifi at all the download would start. I kept trying to put it off until I could figure out how to stop it, but I forgot to turn off the wifi before getting home and it auto connected to my home wifi. Then the download completed. 

I was prompted to update, but I did not want to update since the update was to 4.4.2 and that brings a whole mess of issues I'm not cool with. Mainly the SD permissions issue. Any apps that you have installed that write to the SD card are as good as dead after this update. The new SD permissions only allow an app to write to a folder on the SD card that it explicitly created. You can't even play videos off the SD card anymore if the app you use writes ANY kind of file to that location.

But I digress...I kept putting off the install until this morning while I was DRIVING TO WORK and the software update decided to turn my phone off and install the update. I had no choice. I use a navigation app that reports issues on my route and gives me an estimated time for arrival. AT&T's software doesn't care what you are doing when it wants this done. It shut my phone down while I was driving and decided to update the software. 

What if I was in an emergency situation AT&T??? What If I was on the phone with the cops and the software decided it wanted to turn off my device in the middle of the call? 

Now I am stuck on this crappy version of Android that I absolutely did NOT want, but could find no way of getting rid of the software. Now my only recourse would be to root the device and run a fix app to change the SD write permissions so all my apps work properly. That would void my warranty though and I shouldn't have to do that.

What are you going to do to fix this AT&T???

[Inappropriate content removed]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

souldnt your note 2 be old enough to be out of warranty.  its only a year

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

10 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

souldnt your note 2 be old enough to be out of warranty.  its only a year

It is out of warranty, but I still have a "black tie protection" plan with Best Buy. They don't cover things like this though and if I root the device to fix the SD issue (only way possible that I can find) then I will lose that coverage with Best Buy.

If I was the one that chose to install the update then I wouldn't be complaining about this to AT&T. It was AT&T's software update that forced the install. It only let me say "no" to the update twice and then forced the install. 

When talking to an "advanced technical support" rep they told me that I pretty much had to deal with it, and that I needed to contact each and every developer for the apps I had issue with to have them update their apps. I have a LOT of apps and they were ALL 100% working before this forced update. The rep tried to make excuses for this forced update by stating she had it happen to her as well and so did her daughter. She said it was just something that everyone was going to have to do.

I told her I did not want this update, but once you have the software simply check for an update there is no way to cancel the download. Once the download is complete there is no way to cancel the install. Once you are on 4.4.2 there is no way to go back to 4.3. Not being able to downgrade was confirmed by the "Samsung Experience" guys at Best Buy. 

The rep said she was told by her supervisor that AT&T does not replace devices because of software updates. They didn't care that THEY were the ones that FORCED the software update that is causing the issues either.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

That device is old enough there is no Knox counter so they can't tell if you rooted it or not

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

8 years ago

Reviewing my posts after having another forced update put upon my device I felt I needed to update this. I did NOT say "So first off I would like to thank the folks at AT&T" in my original post. 

I said something else and it was edited to put words in my mouth. I do not want to thank AT&T in any way for forcing me to do an update and hopefully people reading would at least see that as being sarcastic at best.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.