The Samsung Galaxy S24
bcrsr's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 1:15 AM

Coming from EVO on Sprint to Inspire on AT&T

So, I left Sprint due to pathetic customer service. Sprint phone/data service was ALWAYS excellent. I don't want to start a carrier bashfest here so I will lay out some of the issues I have with the handset. I should say that the customer service has been great so far here with AT&T. I hope it stays that way. Also, I should state up front, that I am Android experienced individual, so I am not a noob here. Now, on to the Inspire...

1. Battery gets leeched to death from AT&T bloatware with no simple way to remove it on a permanent basis and no fix or solution from AT&T. Sales people are clueless here and say that there is nothing wrong with the phone. They are correct, it's AT&T software, but offer no solution.

2. No default visual voicemail application and when a voicemail is left on the handset, the number that is displayed is the number you call to retrieve your voicemail.

3. Phone restarts itself at random. Not sure what this is about, but in fairness, it only happens on one of two handsets loaded with the same apps, purchased from the same store on the same date. Could be hardware issue...

4. Speakerphone is almost useless. Tinny sounding and low volume level even at maximum.

5. Lastly, the profoundly stupid decision to keep me from loading non-market applications on the phone that I have purchased and own.

If ANYONE has any fix or solutions other than "root your phone" or "switch ROM's", please post them. I am just about ready to return this Inspire and get the iPhone because my kids have 3GS's and they only have to deal with #5 above and I can live with that.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

Just Google "sideload wonder machine", which is a small desktop app that allows sideloading 3rd party apps without root.

As far as the random rebooting, this does sound like an issue with that particular phone, either hardware or software issue/defect.  I would try a factory reset, and if that doesn't help, definitely exchange it for a new one before your 30-day period is up.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks redpoint! That fixed the issue of not being able to install Teamviewer. It works very well too.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

I'm just considering using Google Voice for the visual voicemail.

On another note, has anyone tried both the Atrix and the Inspire? I have only used HTC Android handsets and would consider just exchanging this handset for the Atrix if it solves battery and speakerphone issues.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

After experiencing HTC Sense, I am really not sure if I would be willing to use full on MotoBlur UI installed on the Atrix.

Otherwise I have heard the battery life can be a little better than HTC phones.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

I haven't played with the Atrix in person.  But I've read comments that the build quality is a little plasticky, and not quite as high-end feeling as HTC's phones.  Pretty much par for the course for Motorola.  I want to like their devices, but I am just underwhelmed every time.  But if you have a preference for a full hardware keyboard, and the intriguing (but expensive) accessories, that might tip the scale in favor of the Atrix.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Just came back from the AT&T store and have decided to stay with the Inspire for the meantime. I am going to pickup a program called Tasker to see if I can kill the two apps killing the battery as soon as they launch.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@bcrsr wrote:

Just came back from the AT&T store and have decided to stay with the Inspire for the meantime. I am going to pickup a program called Tasker to see if I can kill the two apps killing the battery as soon as they launch.

Awesome! Good choice. 😉 How does the Inspire compare to the EVO, in your opinion? How is AT&T service working out for you?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks!

The Evo was a great handset on a really crappy carrier. The service always worked for me, but the customer service was so bad that I just could not deal with it any longer.

The Evo had it's issues prior to getting a few updates, but by the time they arrived, it just worked like it should. I never had any issues after the last set of updates. Just like the Inspire, the battery was not good to start with, but the second update included some changes that made night and day difference in the life that the battery would have after a charge.

AT&T seems to be good so far. The store has been pretty good and the sales people are polite, friendly and helpful. We'll be staying as long as the customer service doesn't get as bad as Sprint is.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

I didn't realize that Sprint's Customer Service was so non-helpful. Usually AT&T's CS comes out towards the end of all surveys, but in your case, Sprint has proven to be the worst. AT&T CS doesn't seem to be "horrible" to me, although many other people would beg to differ...

Anyway, glad to hear that you are enjoying your new service.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

I know you decided to stay with the Inspire, and I think its a good choice. I had the Atrix, and hardware wise, it was great. But HTC Sense SMOKES Moto Blur, in my opinion. I just sold my Atrix on eBay. The front facing camera...no use to me. The bigger screen and Sense makes the Inspire a better choice. Although, battery life on the Atrix was much better. Probably because it was much bigger.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.