Captivate question...

Captivate question...

I know that a froyo update was released for the Captivate months ago, but I just ordered my phone a couple days ago and was wondering if it will automatically come with froyo or if I will have to download it. AT&T's specifications of the phone says it comes with 2.2 but I'm not sure if that means it does or if it's just available.

Message 1 of 11 (1,887 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author shiftyfeets
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Captivate question...

shiftyfeets wrote:

I know that a froyo update was released for the Captivate months ago, but I just ordered my phone a couple days ago and was wondering if it will automatically come with froyo or if I will have to download it. AT&T's specifications of the phone says it comes with 2.2 but I'm not sure if that means it does or if it's just available.

To be honest, I never really understood what the term 'Froyo' meant or how it was different/beneficial from Android 2.1 or 2.2. I bought my Captivate used with 2.2 already installed on it, so I thought I was good to go. I'll never update mine anything past 2.2 or even 'Froyo', if I knew what it was and if it would benefit my phone or me in any way, shape, or form.

Aside from that, I would think you have to separately update to Froyo yourself and it will not be automatic. This is how all of the other Captivate/Froyo owners updated their phones.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 11 (1,876 Views)

Thanks for the reply. 2.2 and froyo are the samething
Message 3 of 11 (1,867 Views)
Master

Thanks for the explanation. Smiley Wink

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 11 (1,863 Views)
Mentor

Sorry I can't answer your question. I suppose you'll find out when it arrives. The major difference in updating to Android 2.2 (Froyo - which is short for Frozen Yogart) provided a plug in for Adobe Flash mobile. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has been out for a few months, but AT&T hasn't delivered an update. If you don't want to wait for the AT&T release, you can root your phone and load a custom ROM from the XDA Developers web site.

The Capitvate had defects in the GPS driver. I'd check yours out and if it isn't right, return it. Hopefully, the Samsung Galaxy S2 fixed the issue.

Message 5 of 11 (1,858 Views)

I guess I will find out when it comes, just a little impatient lol. I have heard about the GPS issues but it doesn't bother me much, mapquest is still ok by me!
Message 6 of 11 (1,855 Views)

Got the phone today and it did already have 2.2.... I love it already btw Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 11 (1,840 Views)
Master

Great! Glad to hear that you like it, too. I remember when I first got mine back on Valentine's Day earlier this year...I couldn't put it down! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11 (1,837 Views)

Haha, it's definitely addicting. I had an Aria earlier this year that broke so I had to get a Samsung Evergreen. I missed having a smartphone so now I'm making up for all the lost time with no apps.
Message 9 of 11 (1,829 Views)
Professor

Dont meant to cut in on you guys convo, but wanted to say what a cool screen name "shiftyfeets"

this is a wb icon "doing the shiftyfeets"

Message 10 of 11 (1,824 Views)
Highlighted

Thanks! Your icon is almost exactly what I had in mind when I thought about it.
Message 11 of 11 (1,618 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.