Posted Sep 12, 2011
1:01:08 PM
Captivate question...

I know that a froyo update was released for the Captivate months ago, but I just ordered my phone a couple days ago and was wondering if it will automatically come with froyo or if I will have to download it. AT&T's specifications of the phone says it comes with 2.2 but I'm not sure if that means it does or if it's just available.

I know that a froyo update was released for the Captivate months ago, but I just ordered my phone a couple days ago and was wondering if it will automatically come with froyo or if I will have to download it. AT&T's specifications of the phone says it comes with 2.2 but I'm not sure if that means it does or if it's just available.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 12, 2011 2:35:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

shiftyfeets wrote:

To be honest, I never really understood what the term 'Froyo' meant or how it was different/beneficial from Android 2.1 or 2.2. I bought my Captivate used with 2.2 already installed on it, so I thought I was good to go. I'll never update mine anything past 2.2 or even 'Froyo', if I knew what it was and if it would benefit my phone or me in any way, shape, or form.

Aside from that, I would think you have to separately update to Froyo yourself and it will not be automatic. This is how all of the other Captivate/Froyo owners updated their phones.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Captivate question...

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 12, 2011 2:35:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

shiftyfeets wrote:

To be honest, I never really understood what the term 'Froyo' meant or how it was different/beneficial from Android 2.1 or 2.2. I bought my Captivate used with 2.2 already installed on it, so I thought I was good to go. I'll never update mine anything past 2.2 or even 'Froyo', if I knew what it was and if it would benefit my phone or me in any way, shape, or form.

Aside from that, I would think you have to separately update to Froyo yourself and it will not be automatic. This is how all of the other Captivate/Froyo owners updated their phones.

shiftyfeets wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Captivate question...

2 of 11 (1,737 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 10:17:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the reply. 2.2 and froyo are the samething
Thanks for the reply. 2.2 and froyo are the samething

3 of 11 (1,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 1:05:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks for the explanation. :smileywink:

You're welcome.

Thanks for the explanation. :smileywink:

You're welcome.

4 of 11 (1,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 6:11:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

Sorry I can't answer your question. I suppose you'll find out when it arrives. The major difference in updating to Android 2.2 (Froyo - which is short for Frozen Yogart) provided a plug in for Adobe Flash mobile. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has been out for a few months, but AT&T hasn't delivered an update. If you don't want to wait for the AT&T release, you can root your phone and load a custom ROM from the XDA Developers web site.

The Capitvate had defects in the GPS driver. I'd check yours out and if it isn't right, return it. Hopefully, the Samsung Galaxy S2 fixed the issue.

Sorry I can't answer your question. I suppose you'll find out when it arrives. The major difference in updating to Android 2.2 (Froyo - which is short for Frozen Yogart) provided a plug in for Adobe Flash mobile. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has been out for a few months, but AT&T hasn't delivered an update. If you don't want to wait for the AT&T release, you can root your phone and load a custom ROM from the XDA Developers web site.

The Capitvate had defects in the GPS driver. I'd check yours out and if it isn't right, return it. Hopefully, the Samsung Galaxy S2 fixed the issue.

5 of 11 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 9:24:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
I guess I will find out when it comes, just a little impatient lol. I have heard about the GPS issues but it doesn't bother me much, mapquest is still ok by me!
I guess I will find out when it comes, just a little impatient lol. I have heard about the GPS issues but it doesn't bother me much, mapquest is still ok by me!

6 of 11 (1,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 8:40:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
Got the phone today and it did already have 2.2.... I love it already btw :smileyhappy:
Got the phone today and it did already have 2.2.... I love it already btw :smileyhappy:

7 of 11 (1,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 3:08:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Great! Glad to hear that you like it, too. I remember when I first got mine back on Valentine's Day earlier this year...I couldn't put it down! :smileyvery-happy:

Great! Glad to hear that you like it, too. I remember when I first got mine back on Valentine's Day earlier this year...I couldn't put it down! :smileyvery-happy:

8 of 11 (1,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 8:10:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
Haha, it's definitely addicting. I had an Aria earlier this year that broke so I had to get a Samsung Evergreen. I missed having a smartphone so now I'm making up for all the lost time with no apps.
Haha, it's definitely addicting. I had an Aria earlier this year that broke so I had to get a Samsung Evergreen. I missed having a smartphone so now I'm making up for all the lost time with no apps.

9 of 11 (1,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 5:00:36 AM
(0)
Professor

Dont meant to cut in on you guys convo, but wanted to say what a cool screen name "shiftyfeets"

dance1.gif

this is a wb icon "doing the shiftyfeets"

Dont meant to cut in on you guys convo, but wanted to say what a cool screen name "shiftyfeets"

dance1.gif

this is a wb icon "doing the shiftyfeets"

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

10 of 11 (1,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 7:13:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks! Your icon is almost exactly what I had in mind when I thought about it.
Thanks! Your icon is almost exactly what I had in mind when I thought about it.

11 of 11 (1,479 Views)