For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
concite's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, February 26th, 2011 9:07 PM

Captivate pin lock on screen timeout after Froyo

Just updated my captivate to Froyo.  Now, every time the screen times out, I get a pin lock to be able to access the phone again.  I have MS exchange server.  Our admin has set the pin lock to 30 minutes.  Having to unlock the phone after  10 seconds is a total pain in the butt!!!!

Anyone know how to fix this?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Unfortunately that's how Froyo works. You can:

1. Buy a 3rd party software to sync with Exchange.

or

2. Hack the phone to use a special Email.apk that bypasses PIN policy. Your IT admin probably won't be too thrilled to hear that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, this is very frustrating.  On 2.1, you could configure a pattern-lock in addition to your corporate PIN. And, mine also only asked for the corporate PIN if off >30 min.  On 2.2, if corporate is enforcing a PIN, you have no option to also configure a pattern-lock. Maybe because there is no backup locking, the corporate PIN is always asked for.

I use Easy Profiles that allows an option to disable locking. That is no longer working on 2.2, but is being investigated (I believe) by the developer.  Disabling the locking *does* work inside of BeyondPod, so there must be a way to still do it on 2.2 (Of course, once you venture outside of BeyondPod, you're asked for your PIN).

• Buy a 3rd party software to sync with Exchange.

Do you have a name for the alternate software for Exchange Syncing?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the fast reply.  Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it saves me a lot of searching.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

TouchDown is the only full blown Exchange sync that works correctly with the PIN requirement because it does not use Froyo OS PIN management. I tested it and it works on Froyo.

I don't really like to use TouchDown, not because of its cost ($$), but because of its lack of integration with the OS. The contacts and calendar are contains within the app itself, not integrated with phone contacts and calendar. The UI looks like stuck in old PocketPC mode.

If you read Google's Froyo seucrity statement for Exchange PIN lock, it suggests that you set your screen timeout to match your Exchange server requirement, e.g. 30 minutes. This of source will have significant impact on battery usage.

My old Windows Mobile phone had this same issue after WM 6.xx update. I kind of learnt to live with it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.