Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 3, 2010
7:22:07 PM
View profile
Captivate connecting to 802.11n network?

I'm trying to connect my Captivate to my Apple Airport Express.  I've set up the Airport to accept wireless-n only.  Every spec sheet I find for the Captivate says it handles 802.11n.  But the Captivate doesn't see the Airport network.

I've got two Macs in the house that handle wireless-n, and they both connect with no problem.  I've got three devices that don't, and none of them can connect.  The Captivate connects to my (separate) wireless-g network, but doesn't even recognize that the wireless-n network is there.

This Captivate has been a HUGE disappointment.  Mine has a practically non-functional GPS.  I keep losing signal at work.  Half the time I'm on an Edge network instead of 3G -- and I live in the middle of Orlando.  The calendar is dismal compared to my old Treo; so is the note-taking, search integration, and computer sync.  

In fact, it's like the Captivate is ONLY useful for browsing the web.  If it can't connect to 802.11n, I'm going to sell it to some other poor sap and buy a Blackberry.

I'm trying to connect my Captivate to my Apple Airport Express.  I've set up the Airport to accept wireless-n only.  Every spec sheet I find for the Captivate says it handles 802.11n.  But the Captivate doesn't see the Airport network.

I've got two Macs in the house that handle wireless-n, and they both connect with no problem.  I've got three devices that don't, and none of them can connect.  The Captivate connects to my (separate) wireless-g network, but doesn't even recognize that the wireless-n network is there.

This Captivate has been a HUGE disappointment.  Mine has a practically non-functional GPS.  I keep losing signal at work.  Half the time I'm on an Edge network instead of 3G -- and I live in the middle of Orlando.  The calendar is dismal compared to my old Treo; so is the note-taking, search integration, and computer sync.  

In fact, it's like the Captivate is ONLY useful for browsing the web.  If it can't connect to 802.11n, I'm going to sell it to some other poor sap and buy a Blackberry.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 15, 2010 10:26:42 AM
(0)
Master

For ppl with dual-band wireless routers, they typically setup 11G on 2.4G and 5Ghz on 11n. Most phones, even the iPhone4, won't connect at 5Ghz. They are 2.4Ghz 11n only. If you have 11g network already, just let it connect to that network. It's not like Captivate can use the higher speed of the 11n anyway.

Yes, Captivate does connect to 11n just fine as long as it is @ 2.4 GHz.

Accepted Solution

Captivate connecting to 802.11n network?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 3:19:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem, it doesn't see my 802.11n network at all.  Anyone?

I am having the same problem, it doesn't see my 802.11n network at all.  Anyone?

Re: Captivate connecting to 802.11n network?

2 of 9 (3,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 9:37:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Are you on the 2.4ghz N or 5ghz N? Why not allow N+G&B for more comaptability anyway?

Are you on the 2.4ghz N or 5ghz N? Why not allow N+G&B for more comaptability anyway?

3 of 9 (2,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 9:59:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

Are you sure it has not been set as a hidden network? If the device is set to not broadcast the SSID, then nothing else will see it. And even so, if that is the case you can put the settings in manually. Mine works well enough, I can be in my neighbors garage across the street and still have good signal back to my router.

Are you sure it has not been set as a hidden network? If the device is set to not broadcast the SSID, then nothing else will see it. And even so, if that is the case you can put the settings in manually. Mine works well enough, I can be in my neighbors garage across the street and still have good signal back to my router.

4 of 9 (2,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 15, 2010 10:26:42 AM
(0)
Master

For ppl with dual-band wireless routers, they typically setup 11G on 2.4G and 5Ghz on 11n. Most phones, even the iPhone4, won't connect at 5Ghz. They are 2.4Ghz 11n only. If you have 11g network already, just let it connect to that network. It's not like Captivate can use the higher speed of the 11n anyway.

5 of 9 (2,900 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 2:48:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

What's the point of running and connecting to an 11n network if the phone can't use the higher speed?

What's the point of running and connecting to an 11n network if the phone can't use the higher speed?

6 of 9 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:52:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

judebert wrote:

I think, ultimately, the reality is that it will depend on your intended use.  If you're trying to stream video/music from the internet, it really won't matter whether you're using 11g or 11n as both are MUCH faster than you're internet bandwidth is likely to be.  If you're trying to move files to your phone from a computer, you're actually going to have much faster speeds via USB.  If USB isn't a viable option, then yes, 11n would be faster than 11g.

judebert wrote:

I think, ultimately, the reality is that it will depend on your intended use.  If you're trying to stream video/music from the internet, it really won't matter whether you're using 11g or 11n as both are MUCH faster than you're internet bandwidth is likely to be.  If you're trying to move files to your phone from a computer, you're actually going to have much faster speeds via USB.  If USB isn't a viable option, then yes, 11n would be faster than 11g.

7 of 9 (2,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 2:50:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Since 11n standard provides for both frequencies and the phone does not do it the problem is not solved. The OP issue still exists.  How do you mark this unsolved as it should be???? 

Since 11n standard provides for both frequencies and the phone does not do it the problem is not solved. The OP issue still exists.  How do you mark this unsolved as it should be???? 

8 of 9 (2,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 4:32:08 PM
(0)
Master

evorgtsew wrote:

Give it a rest already. Here is what official wi-fi certification requirements said:

Devices can be 2.4 GHz only, 5 GHz only or dual-band. For this reason, both frequency bands are listed as optional.

evorgtsew wrote:

Give it a rest already. Here is what official wi-fi certification requirements said:

Devices can be 2.4 GHz only, 5 GHz only or dual-band. For this reason, both frequency bands are listed as optional.

9 of 9 (2,224 Views)