Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2012
9:28:38 PM
Captivate Unlock Code doesn't work!

AT&T gave me the unlock code for my device, but it doesn't work.  I get an error message that says "network unlock request unsuccessful".  I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with customer service and we've tried several methods and none have worked.  CS then directed me to take the phone to a store so they could unlock it there - that didn't work because nobody there knew what to do.  I called CS again while still in the store and the worker spoke to them & got the same results.  I was then directed to take it to a device support center & got the same results there.  Any advice?

AT&T gave me the unlock code for my device, but it doesn't work.  I get an error message that says "network unlock request unsuccessful".  I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with customer service and we've tried several methods and none have worked.  CS then directed me to take the phone to a store so they could unlock it there - that didn't work because nobody there knew what to do.  I called CS again while still in the store and the worker spoke to them & got the same results.  I was then directed to take it to a device support center & got the same results there.  Any advice?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 4:50:57 AM
(0)
Master
Always verify that they have the corre imei when asking for unlock code. If they used wro imei, you will get wrong unlock code. Even worse, if you tried too many times, you may no longer be unlockable.
Always verify that they have the corre imei when asking for unlock code. If they used wro imei, you will get wrong unlock code. Even worse, if you tried too many times, you may no longer be unlockable.

Re: Captivate Unlock Code doesn't work!

2 of 18 (14,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:37:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I went through this also. Neither AT&T nor Samsung could unlock it. Finally I found a co-worker with a Vodaphone SIM and put it in the Captivate and entered the unlock code they had given me. Worked the first time. Probably could do the same thing with a T-Mobile SIM.

Also, I gave AT&T so much grief over this that they gave me a $100 credit since I couldn't use a foreign SIM on my trip to Europe. This WAY more than covered my international voice and data charges.

See http://benmoore.blogspot.com/2011/12/international-celluar-plans.html

I went through this also. Neither AT&T nor Samsung could unlock it. Finally I found a co-worker with a Vodaphone SIM and put it in the Captivate and entered the unlock code they had given me. Worked the first time. Probably could do the same thing with a T-Mobile SIM.

Also, I gave AT&T so much grief over this that they gave me a $100 credit since I couldn't use a foreign SIM on my trip to Europe. This WAY more than covered my international voice and data charges.

See http://benmoore.blogspot.com/2011/12/international-celluar-plans.html

3 of 18 (14,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:18:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
the imei & unlock code were verified twice
the imei & unlock code were verified twice

4 of 18 (14,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:21:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I already tried with an active T-Mobile SIM - no luck

I already tried with an active T-Mobile SIM - no luck

5 of 18 (14,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 7:18:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was told by AT&T that there is a limit to the number of unsuccessful attempts to unlock after which the device can NEVER be unlocked. They weren't able to tell me what that limit is. I have been told (by the person with the Vodaphone SIM) that the limit is less than 10 times. When AT&T and I discussed this they offered to replace the device if we encountered that problem. I wouldn't agree to proceed under those conditions given the hit and miss situation on the Captivate's GPS working or not. (Mine works GREAT on my 3rd Captivate.) That is when we stopped trying to unlock with the keystrokes and they issued the usage credit.

I was told by AT&T that there is a limit to the number of unsuccessful attempts to unlock after which the device can NEVER be unlocked. They weren't able to tell me what that limit is. I have been told (by the person with the Vodaphone SIM) that the limit is less than 10 times. When AT&T and I discussed this they offered to replace the device if we encountered that problem. I wouldn't agree to proceed under those conditions given the hit and miss situation on the Captivate's GPS working or not. (Mine works GREAT on my 3rd Captivate.) That is when we stopped trying to unlock with the keystrokes and they issued the usage credit.

6 of 18 (14,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 10:23:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
I was told 5 times. I, too, was given the wrong unlock code. I tried 3 times and then sought out additional help. Another call to AT&T got me a "helpful" employee who told me that after I entered it wrong 5 total times, she had another code that would unlock the phone. So I followed her instructions only to find that that "special" code would not work and my phone was locked to AT&T!

Long story short, her manager told me the employee was "mistaken" about any special code and I was just "out of luck". Yes, AT&T's "mistake" screws ME and I'm "out of luck". Let me tell you, I was FURIOUS. Fat lot of good it did me. I never did get that phone unlocked. I'm STILL steamed at AT&T and I hope to leave them when my contract finally expires.

BE WARNED! AT&T will take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their own errors.
I was told 5 times. I, too, was given the wrong unlock code. I tried 3 times and then sought out additional help. Another call to AT&T got me a "helpful" employee who told me that after I entered it wrong 5 total times, she had another code that would unlock the phone. So I followed her instructions only to find that that "special" code would not work and my phone was locked to AT&T!

Long story short, her manager told me the employee was "mistaken" about any special code and I was just "out of luck". Yes, AT&T's "mistake" screws ME and I'm "out of luck". Let me tell you, I was FURIOUS. Fat lot of good it did me. I never did get that phone unlocked. I'm STILL steamed at AT&T and I hope to leave them when my contract finally expires.

7 of 18 (14,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 11:24:08 AM
(0)
Master

It's not like other carriers are any better. If you call Verizon to unlock one of their global phones (the ones with GSM in it), 99% of their CSRs have no clue what you are asking for.

So far, I have been lucky on all my AT&T phones (that's about a dozen of them). I always use a foreign SIM card to unlock. And if it won't work the first time, I stop.

It's not like other carriers are any better. If you call Verizon to unlock one of their global phones (the ones with GSM in it), 99% of their CSRs have no clue what you are asking for.

So far, I have been lucky on all my AT&T phones (that's about a dozen of them). I always use a foreign SIM card to unlock. And if it won't work the first time, I stop.

8 of 18 (14,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 5:40:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

I just got my Samsung Infuse unlocked two days ago. I would think the process should be very similar to the Captivate. It was much easier comparing to the last time I got an AT&t phone unlocked. I used to make the request by phone and the code wiould come via email in about a week. This time was all on the the phone. I just supplied the IMEI code and I was given the unlock code immediately. The procedure was to power down the phone and insert a non-AT&t simcard. Upon powering up, a screen would come up asking for the unlock code. Enter the code and toulch the unlock button and you are done.

I just got my Samsung Infuse unlocked two days ago. I would think the process should be very similar to the Captivate. It was much easier comparing to the last time I got an AT&t phone unlocked. I used to make the request by phone and the code wiould come via email in about a week. This time was all on the the phone. I just supplied the IMEI code and I was given the unlock code immediately. The procedure was to power down the phone and insert a non-AT&t simcard. Upon powering up, a screen would come up asking for the unlock code. Enter the code and toulch the unlock button and you are done.

9 of 18 (14,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 2:41:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's exactly what I did.  It did not work.

That's exactly what I did.  It did not work.

10 of 18 (14,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 9:36:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

You were given a refurbished phone and some one already used up the number of trial to unlock the phone?

You were given a refurbished phone and some one already used up the number of trial to unlock the phone?

11 of 18 (14,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 1:37:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

UPDATE:

After taking the phone to an AT&T store per CS' direction, the guy let me borrow a store SIM card, but wouldn't give up the phone number attached even after speaking with CS himself (total tool).

I'm happy to report that I was able to find some good info on the web & I was able to unlock it myself, no thanks to anyone at AT&T.

UPDATE:

After taking the phone to an AT&T store per CS' direction, the guy let me borrow a store SIM card, but wouldn't give up the phone number attached even after speaking with CS himself (total tool).

I'm happy to report that I was able to find some good info on the web & I was able to unlock it myself, no thanks to anyone at AT&T.

12 of 18 (14,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 3:37:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Please let us know what you found so others can also see the best way to do it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Please let us know what you found so others can also see the best way to do it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

13 of 18 (14,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 8:41:52 AM
(0)
Master
Captivate(or Galaxy S) and Galaxy S2 can be easily unlocked using a free app if you root your phone. Instructions can be found on xda.
Captivate(or Galaxy S) and Galaxy S2 can be easily unlocked using a free app if you root your phone. Instructions can be found on xda.

14 of 18 (14,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 10:10:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

^ what Foxbat said - and might I add, it was shockingly easy.  The entire process was done in less than 5 minutes & I'm not a tech geek by any stretch of the imagination.  Sorry I can't post the links here, but a simple search will produce them for you.

^ what Foxbat said - and might I add, it was shockingly easy.  The entire process was done in less than 5 minutes & I'm not a tech geek by any stretch of the imagination.  Sorry I can't post the links here, but a simple search will produce them for you.

15 of 18 (14,273 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 3:33:33 PM
(0)
Master

The hard part is rooting. Phones running latest Gingerbread (2.3.4 or later) are much more difficult to root.

Remember rooting voids your warranty.

The hard part is rooting. Phones running latest Gingerbread (2.3.4 or later) are much more difficult to root.

Remember rooting voids your warranty.

16 of 18 (14,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2012 7:37:39 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi, I have similar problem where the unlock code given by ATT does not work.  Had confirmed at least 3 times.  Per suggestion from ATT CSR, I had reset my Samsung Captivate to manufacturing setting and tried to unlock the phone without sim card by using code #7465625*638*Unlock Code (NCK)# and *0111Unlock Code (NCK)# and got message "Not Registered On Network".  Any suggestions to fix this problem are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Hi, I have similar problem where the unlock code given by ATT does not work.  Had confirmed at least 3 times.  Per suggestion from ATT CSR, I had reset my Samsung Captivate to manufacturing setting and tried to unlock the phone without sim card by using code #7465625*638*Unlock Code (NCK)# and *0111Unlock Code (NCK)# and got message "Not Registered On Network".  Any suggestions to fix this problem are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

17 of 18 (12,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 3:56:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem -- unlock code provided by ATT didn't work (Samsung Captivate Gingerbread 2.3.5) and nobody at ATT was owning up the issue.

I had to root the phone and then get it unlocked using one of the apps by h**z !!

Here is brief summary of my interaction with ATT CSR and store people --

** ATT does not get any tech support from samsung to resolve issues like these (apparently nobody cares @ ATT and samsung).

** ATT store representative offer to me was -- get it unlocked using local repair shops and refund the fees incurred OR surrender the phone for $100 gift voucher !

** App by h**z is not downloadable via google play store in USA!! (This is ridiculous-- Samsung will not help with genuine issues and they will not allow others to help either !! Smiley Sad )

I had the same problem -- unlock code provided by ATT didn't work (Samsung Captivate Gingerbread 2.3.5) and nobody at ATT was owning up the issue.

I had to root the phone and then get it unlocked using one of the apps by h**z !!

Here is brief summary of my interaction with ATT CSR and store people --

** ATT does not get any tech support from samsung to resolve issues like these (apparently nobody cares @ ATT and samsung).

** ATT store representative offer to me was -- get it unlocked using local repair shops and refund the fees incurred OR surrender the phone for $100 gift voucher !

** App by h**z is not downloadable via google play store in USA!! (This is ridiculous-- Samsung will not help with genuine issues and they will not allow others to help either !! Smiley Sad )

18 of 18 (8,139 Views)