The Samsung Galaxy S24
BobbyQuest's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 5:28 AM

Captivate Unlock Code doesn't work!

AT&T gave me the unlock code for my device, but it doesn't work.  I get an error message that says "network unlock request unsuccessful".  I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with customer service and we've tried several methods and none have worked.  CS then directed me to take the phone to a store so they could unlock it there - that didn't work because nobody there knew what to do.  I called CS again while still in the store and the worker spoke to them & got the same results.  I was then directed to take it to a device support center & got the same results there.  Any advice?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Always verify that they have the corre imei when asking for unlock code. If they used wro imei, you will get wrong unlock code. Even worse, if you tried too many times, you may no longer be unlockable.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I went through this also. Neither AT&T nor Samsung could unlock it. Finally I found a co-worker with a Vodaphone SIM and put it in the Captivate and entered the unlock code they had given me. Worked the first time. Probably could do the same thing with a T-Mobile SIM.

Also, I gave AT&T so much grief over this that they gave me a $100 credit since I couldn't use a foreign SIM on my trip to Europe. This WAY more than covered my international voice and data charges.

See http://benmoore.blogspot.com/2011/12/international-celluar-plans.html

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

the imei & unlock code were verified twice

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I already tried with an active T-Mobile SIM - no luck

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I was told by AT&T that there is a limit to the number of unsuccessful attempts to unlock after which the device can NEVER be unlocked. They weren't able to tell me what that limit is. I have been told (by the person with the Vodaphone SIM) that the limit is less than 10 times. When AT&T and I discussed this they offered to replace the device if we encountered that problem. I wouldn't agree to proceed under those conditions given the hit and miss situation on the Captivate's GPS working or not. (Mine works GREAT on my 3rd Captivate.) That is when we stopped trying to unlock with the keystrokes and they issued the usage credit.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

12 years ago

I was told 5 times. I, too, was given the wrong unlock code. I tried 3 times and then sought out additional help. Another call to AT&T got me a "helpful" employee who told me that after I entered it wrong 5 total times, she had another code that would unlock the phone. So I followed her instructions only to find that that "special" code would not work and my phone was locked to AT&T!

Long story short, her manager told me the employee was "mistaken" about any special code and I was just "out of luck". Yes, AT&T's "mistake" screws ME and I'm "out of luck". Let me tell you, I was FURIOUS. Fat lot of good it did me. I never did get that phone unlocked. I'm STILL steamed at AT&T and I hope to leave them when my contract finally expires.

BE WARNED! AT&T will take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their own errors.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

It's not like other carriers are any better. If you call Verizon to unlock one of their global phones (the ones with GSM in it), 99% of their CSRs have no clue what you are asking for.

So far, I have been lucky on all my AT&T phones (that's about a dozen of them). I always use a foreign SIM card to unlock. And if it won't work the first time, I stop.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

I just got my Samsung Infuse unlocked two days ago. I would think the process should be very similar to the Captivate. It was much easier comparing to the last time I got an AT&t phone unlocked. I used to make the request by phone and the code wiould come via email in about a week. This time was all on the the phone. I just supplied the IMEI code and I was given the unlock code immediately. The procedure was to power down the phone and insert a non-AT&t simcard. Upon powering up, a screen would come up asking for the unlock code. Enter the code and toulch the unlock button and you are done.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

That's exactly what I did.  It did not work.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

You were given a refurbished phone and some one already used up the number of trial to unlock the phone?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.