Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 1, 2011
1:42:00 PM
View profile
Captivate Speech-To-Text Not Working
When I attempt to use the speech-to-text feature on the stock messaging app on my Captivate, it doesn't ever seem to work. I always try it, saying the worlds slow and understandable, it then says "Working...", but every time after that, it gives me "Connection error".

I'm not sure why it's not working anymore; it worked a few months ago when I tried it and I thought it was the neatest thing. Am I doing something wrong?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

When I attempt to use the speech-to-text feature on the stock messaging app on my Captivate, it doesn't ever seem to work. I always try it, saying the worlds slow and understandable, it then says "Working...", but every time after that, it gives me "Connection error".

I'm not sure why it's not working anymore; it worked a few months ago when I tried it and I thought it was the neatest thing. Am I doing something wrong?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 1, 2011 8:34:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Since your phone is saying connection failed, that implies that a data connection is needed.  Is your phone connected to Wi-fi when it works, but not connected to Wi-fi when it doesn't work?  If I'm not mistaken, the speech-to-text engine runs through Google some kind of way.  So a data connection would be needed for that.

If this isn't the case, I'm afraid that I won't be much help to you.  I feel bad.  I wanted to help you WB!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Captivate Speech-To-Text Not Working

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 2:05:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm digging back in my memory here, so please bear with me.  Which keyboard are you using when you try the speech-to-text?  Swype, Samsung, or Android?  Or are you trying to do speech-to-text another way?

I'm digging back in my memory here, so please bear with me.  Which keyboard are you using when you try the speech-to-text?  Swype, Samsung, or Android?  Or are you trying to do speech-to-text another way?

Re: Captivate Speech-To-Text Not Working

2 of 10 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 2:19:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I am using the the stock Samsung keyboard, which is what I prefer. I was also using the same keyboard when I was able to use the feature before, so I'm not really sure why I'm having a problem, now...

I am using the the stock Samsung keyboard, which is what I prefer. I was also using the same keyboard when I was able to use the feature before, so I'm not really sure why I'm having a problem, now...

3 of 10 (1,827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:10:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you tried to reboot your phone?

Have you tried to reboot your phone?

4 of 10 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:36:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Well, I turn off my phone on a nightly basis. And every time I try to use speech-to-text, it just does not work...even if I turn the phone off and then right back on afterwards.

Well, I turn off my phone on a nightly basis. And every time I try to use speech-to-text, it just does not work...even if I turn the phone off and then right back on afterwards.

5 of 10 (1,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 1, 2011 8:34:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Since your phone is saying connection failed, that implies that a data connection is needed.  Is your phone connected to Wi-fi when it works, but not connected to Wi-fi when it doesn't work?  If I'm not mistaken, the speech-to-text engine runs through Google some kind of way.  So a data connection would be needed for that.

If this isn't the case, I'm afraid that I won't be much help to you.  I feel bad.  I wanted to help you WB!

6 of 10 (1,811 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 3:08:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Now that I think about it, the time I used it when it actually did work, I probably had Wi-Fi turned on. When I try it other times, I am getting a 3G signal, but it probably still doesn't work because I'm using my Captivate on a GoPhone plan.

I will try it when I get home later on tonight and see if a Wi-Fi connection does the trick. Even if it still doesn't work, I appreciate your help! Smiley Happy

Now that I think about it, the time I used it when it actually did work, I probably had Wi-Fi turned on. When I try it other times, I am getting a 3G signal, but it probably still doesn't work because I'm using my Captivate on a GoPhone plan.

I will try it when I get home later on tonight and see if a Wi-Fi connection does the trick. Even if it still doesn't work, I appreciate your help! Smiley Happy

7 of 10 (1,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 3:44:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
21stNow, I just tried using it with Wi-Fi turned on and it works! Thank you very much! Smiley Very Happy

21stNow, I just tried using it with Wi-Fi turned on and it works! Thank you very much! Smiley Very Happy

8 of 10 (1,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 5:16:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You're welcome!  I'm glad that it worked for you.  I was out of ideas and it just hit me, that Siri has to connect to a server to work on iPhones.  Then I remembered that anytime that I use speech-to-text on an Android phone, it connects first, then it's ready to go.

You're welcome!  I'm glad that it worked for you.  I was out of ideas and it just hit me, that Siri has to connect to a server to work on iPhones.  Then I remembered that anytime that I use speech-to-text on an Android phone, it connects first, then it's ready to go.

9 of 10 (1,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2014 5:22:44 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

10 of 10 (786 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments