For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Wild Banchi's profile

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

Thursday, December 1st, 2011 9:42 PM

Captivate Speech-To-Text Not Working

When I attempt to use the speech-to-text feature on the stock messaging app on my Captivate, it doesn't ever seem to work. I always try it, saying the worlds slow and understandable, it then says "Working...", but every time after that, it gives me "Connection error".

I'm not sure why it's not working anymore; it worked a few months ago when I tried it and I thought it was the neatest thing. Am I doing something wrong?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Since your phone is saying connection failed, that implies that a data connection is needed.  Is your phone connected to Wi-fi when it works, but not connected to Wi-fi when it doesn't work?  If I'm not mistaken, the speech-to-text engine runs through Google some kind of way.  So a data connection would be needed for that.

If this isn't the case, I'm afraid that I won't be much help to you.  I feel bad.  I wanted to help you WB!

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

I'm digging back in my memory here, so please bear with me.  Which keyboard are you using when you try the speech-to-text?  Swype, Samsung, or Android?  Or are you trying to do speech-to-text another way?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I am using the the stock Samsung keyboard, which is what I prefer. I was also using the same keyboard when I was able to use the feature before, so I'm not really sure why I'm having a problem, now...

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Have you tried to reboot your phone?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Well, I turn off my phone on a nightly basis. And every time I try to use speech-to-text, it just does not work...even if I turn the phone off and then right back on afterwards.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Now that I think about it, the time I used it when it actually did work, I probably had Wi-Fi turned on. When I try it other times, I am getting a 3G signal, but it probably still doesn't work because I'm using my Captivate on a GoPhone plan.

I will try it when I get home later on tonight and see if a Wi-Fi connection does the trick. Even if it still doesn't work, I appreciate your help! 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

21stNow, I just tried using it with Wi-Fi turned on and it works! Thank you very much! 😄

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome!  I'm glad that it worked for you.  I was out of ideas and it just hit me, that Siri has to connect to a server to work on iPhones.  Then I remembered that anytime that I use speech-to-text on an Android phone, it connects first, then it's ready to go.

• 

4.4K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.