Captivate - GPS Issues

Teacher

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

 

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Message 1 of 212 (18,046 Views)
Master

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues


Zandora wrote:

No lag. GPS works everytime (N=2) for me this way. (Maybe I'm lucky, not sure).


You are lucky. For most of us unlucky ones out there, getting a lock is not a big problem (for some even unlockier ones, it is still a problem). But getting Google Navi to not jump all over the place is the biggest problem because of the accuracy problem of the GPS.

Message 134 of 212 (2,530 Views)

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

From my experience, it seems that the issue is software, and not at all hardware. The WinMo devices used software to update the coords of the GPS satellites, which I assume is why they lock so quick and easy. This way of doing it lets the phone know where to "look." As such, and by default, it seems the Captivate has no such function of software to assist in this manner. The GPS Test app does have a function to update this over the net, and then can lock on the locations far sooner than without. After using this and getting a good lock on 3 or 4 satellites, I can then switch to Google Maps/Nav, or my favorite Waze (which I HIGHLY recommend), and I get a lock in these in 5 to 15 seconds, weather depending I guess. So the GPS assist software seems to make a world of difference. Again, the Windows devices seem to have had this by default, where the Captivate does not. Again though, this is all just my observation and what I have found to work for me. Take it with a spoon full of salt.

Message 135 of 212 (2,517 Views)
Master

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues


foxbat121 wrote:

Zandora wrote:

No lag. GPS works everytime (N=2) for me this way. (Maybe I'm lucky, not sure).


You are lucky. For most of us unlucky ones out there, getting a lock is not a big problem (for some even unlockier ones, it is still a problem). But getting Google Navi to not jump all over the place is the biggest problem because of the accuracy problem of the GPS.


foxbat, Have you tried the GPS after installing GPS Test yet? So you weren't successful in getting a lock even with GPS Test?

Message 137 of 212 (2,493 Views)
Master

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues


Zandora wrote:

foxbat, Have you tried the GPS after installing GPS Test yet? So you weren't successful in getting a lock even with GPS Test?


I have no problem getting the lock even before the update. The real problem is not gettting a lock. You can get an accurate lock while you standing still. The moment you started to move, i.e. in a car, it craps out. As a result, using Google Nav is not possible some times as my Captivate will often put you on a wrong road near by a serverly lags behind your actual position.

 

I want to repeat it again: getting a lock is not the real issue with this phone. The moving accuracy is. To test your moving accuracy, you can use Google Nav on the road and pay attention to following:

1. Did you ever see a blue circle surround your position? The blue circle indicates the inaccuracy of your current GPS position.

2. Did you ever see your position got jumpped to a road near by?

3. When you pass by some landmarks like intersections, bridges or simply make a turn, did you notice your position on the map lags behind?

4. When you come to a complete stop, did you notice your GPS position continues to move ahead then stop and sometime move back to your current position?

 

All of these symptons occur to me in various times.

Message 138 of 212 (2,487 Views)
Master

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:
I have no problem getting the lock even before the update. The real problem is not gettting a lock. You can get an accurate lock while you standing still. The moment you started to move, i.e. in a car, it craps out. As a result, using Google Nav is not possible some times as my Captivate will often put you on a wrong road near by a serverly lags behind your actual position.

 

I want to repeat it again: getting a lock is not the real issue with this phone. The moving accuracy is. To test your moving accuracy, you can use Google Nav on the road and pay attention to following:

1. Did you ever see a blue circle surround your position? The blue circle indicates the inaccuracy of your current GPS position.

2. Did you ever see your position got jumpped to a road near by?

3. When you pass by some landmarks like intersections, bridges or simply make a turn, did you notice your position on the map lags behind?

4. When you come to a complete stop, did you notice your GPS position continues to move ahead then stop and sometime move back to your current position?

 

All of these symptons occur to me in various times.


I didn't realize these were the probs.

 

I have to admit then, that I've been extremely lucky.

 

Google Maps and it's Navigation has been extemely accurate, taking me exactly where I want to go the two times I've used it.

 

Absolutely 100% accurate, including cross streets. It times me perfectly crossing the streets, making turns, approaching the streets, on- and off-ramps, etc.

 

I have BOTH the "Use Wireless Networks" and "Use GPS Satellites" checked when I use my GPS.

 

Frankly that was my last criteria to keep the phone. If GPS didn't work, I would have waited for the WM7 phones to come out and returned this one.

Message 139 of 212 (2,457 Views)
Contributor

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

Guys,

I had GPS issue with my Captivate as well and I tried "Software Update" in settings literally everyday to get an update but everytime it failed. Finally I found a ROM update at this loc: ponack.net/designgears/index.html and click "Download JH7 OTA Stock" and walla it fixed my GPS issue and I have quick office as well to prove that the update is originally from AT&T. I think you need to root your phone, mine was rooted. I have driven with GPS out of town on several freeways and local roads and worked excellently. You have to download ROM Manager from market and choose "Manual ROM install" and choose the lcoation of the ROM, which should be on the root of the phone SD Card. I did not run into any issues so far. If you have any questions email me. Believe me you will be happy with this. Please try it at your won risk though.

 

One another trick, if you don't want to wait for OTA update for 24 Hrs. farward your date by a day and come back to software update and it will try again, you don't have to reboot. Enjoy.

Message 140 of 212 (2,051 Views)
Teacher

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

Last Thursday, I received a message that there was a software update available for my phone.  I tapped OK and it ran for about 7 minutes and said it had failed.  I had read some Web posts that failure didn't mean failure, so I rebooted my phone.  This time the update started automatically and completed successfully (NewBuild=ECLAIR.UCJH7 instead of UCJF6).  It took a little more than 10 minutes.

 

Before the update, the GPS had usually locked on within 30 seconds, however, there had been times when it was minutes (especially when I was driving) before it would lock.  Since the update, it locks within 10-15 seconds without any drifting.

Message 141 of 212 (2,025 Views)
Contributor

Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

Smiley Mad

 

Ok so has this been identified as an issue?

 

Are others having trouble with the GPS not locking on to a signal?

 

This phone is useless without it. No I will not buy the family finder plan, why? It does not show where I am or at least not even close, oh within 1500meters, if that is good for you. You want me to activate the navigation, HA.

 

If it has been identified when is a fix expected?

 

If it has not what do I need to do to move this forward?

 

This really needs to be fixed, if not I do expect to take my business else where.

This is not a threat.

I like ATT for some specific reasons, but other carriers would love to have my business.

 

Please get back to me.

 

You have my contact information, and I would like a answer.

 

I am a loyal customer and expect the same from you as a business partner. 

 

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

 

 

Message 25 of 212 (4,132 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

[ Edited ]

My advise: Return the phone and move on.

 

Yes, Samsung admits there are issues with the GPS with all Galaxy S phones but there is no ETA of any fixes promised. They are working on it. Once they figured out what's wrong, you only need to wait a few more months for AT&T to verify the fix before you can get your hand on the fix.

Message 26 of 212 (4,112 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

[ Edited ]

well I must say the phone is not "Useless" without GPS, it is still a really great phone. 

Message 27 of 212 (4,083 Views)
Expert

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING


roliver709 wrote:

Smiley Mad

 

Ok so has this been identified as an issue?

 

Are others having trouble with the GPS not locking on to a signal?

 

This phone is useless without it. No I will not buy the family finder plan, why? It does not show where I am or at least not even close, oh within 1500meters, if that is good for you. You want me to activate the navigation, HA.

 

If it has been identified when is a fix expected?

 

If it has not what do I need to do to move this forward?

 

This really needs to be fixed, if not I do expect to take my business else where.

This is not a threat.

I like ATT for some specific reasons, but other carriers would love to have my business.

 

Please get back to me.

 

You have my contact information, and I would like a answer.

 

I am a loyal customer and expect the same from you as a business partner. 

 

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

 

 


Samsung has you contact information?

 

Why ask here on a fault in the hardware or OS of the phone, either open a service ticket with samsung or return the phone if you are within your first 30 days. ATT has no ability to fix hardware or software faults in the device

Message 28 of 212 (4,055 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

But ATT does have the ability to apply pressure to a supplier.  I didn't buy the phone from Samsung, I bought it from ATT.  If they advertise a feature on the phone, I expect that feature to work. If it doesn't then I expect them to act as my advocate and partner with the supplier.  

When I went to the store yesterday to inquire and they told me that unless the issue is with the ATT Telenav app,

that is an outrageous response. If the phone signal doesn't work, they don't blame Samsung or Android's PHONE app.


I like the phone, I'd like to keep the phone, but if I am unclear that anyone is taking ownership of the issue, than I will return the phone, which will be unprofitable to ATT and to Samsung. 

For you to dress down someone for asking for support in a support forum is ridiculous.

Message 30 of 212 (4,030 Views)
Mentor

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

What ever happened to that AT&T android video that was floating around here that stated " The reason we are so slow to release phones that are on par with the Iphone is because we test them better than any other company..."   It does not appear that anyone at that testing facility is doing their job.

Message 31 of 212 (4,011 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

The GPS works fine, but there is an error in the configuration. If you follow the instructions in this thread, you shouldn't have any problems getting a lock.

Message 32 of 212 (3,984 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING


Max69 wrote:

The GPS works fine, but there is an error in the configuration. If you follow the instructions in this thread, you shouldn't have any problems getting a lock.


Not really. Getting a lock is just half the problem. Keeping it locked to satellites with decent accuracy while routing is another half and that's one requires Samsung to fix. There is no solution for that.

Message 33 of 212 (3,964 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.