Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 23, 2010
6:46:12 AM
View profile
Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Captivate - GPS Issues

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 8:01:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

2 of 212 (14,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 8:56:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks I've tried that and about a half dozen other fixes as well. None of them have any effect.

Also - I think you have the port number wrong there. I think it's 7276.

Thanks I've tried that and about a half dozen other fixes as well. None of them have any effect.

Also - I think you have the port number wrong there. I think it's 7276.

3 of 212 (14,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 9:07:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yup, I had the same experience.  I tried everything and nothing works.  I wound up returning the phone since I don't know when/if this will be fixed and it impacts too many apps that I use.

Yup, I had the same experience.  I tried everything and nothing works.  I wound up returning the phone since I don't know when/if this will be fixed and it impacts too many apps that I use.

4 of 212 (14,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 11:23:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

Anyone know of an offical fix yet?

Anyone know of an offical fix yet?

5 of 212 (14,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 11:36:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

The disappointing thing was that when I called Samsung, they threw the issue over to AT&T, saying it wasn't them.  I asked them how that was possible when my IPhone 3GS on the same network, at the same location, locks on in seconds.  They had no answer.

It wasn't until I called AT&T that they conferenced in with Samsung leve 3 support.  There they acknowledged the problem on their end, but had no explanation if it was software or hardware or when a fix would be coming.  I'm thinking it's going to be awhile.

The disappointing thing was that when I called Samsung, they threw the issue over to AT&T, saying it wasn't them.  I asked them how that was possible when my IPhone 3GS on the same network, at the same location, locks on in seconds.  They had no answer.

It wasn't until I called AT&T that they conferenced in with Samsung leve 3 support.  There they acknowledged the problem on their end, but had no explanation if it was software or hardware or when a fix would be coming.  I'm thinking it's going to be awhile.

6 of 212 (14,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 4:53:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had the same problem. Samsung kept saying that they're weren't responsible for the issue and blamed at&t saying it was an issue with their network. I lost all faith in the Samsung rep when he kept referring to GPS as the company. LOL He kept saying I had to call whoever provided GPS. I finally just thanked him and hungup.

I started a chat with at&t and they said it sounded like a problem and offered to do a software reset and/or replace the phone. I decided knowing that either way I was going to end up with the problem again. Sigh......

I had the same problem. Samsung kept saying that they're weren't responsible for the issue and blamed at&t saying it was an issue with their network. I lost all faith in the Samsung rep when he kept referring to GPS as the company. LOL He kept saying I had to call whoever provided GPS. I finally just thanked him and hungup.

I started a chat with at&t and they said it sounded like a problem and offered to do a software reset and/or replace the phone. I decided knowing that either way I was going to end up with the problem again. Sigh......

7 of 212 (14,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 6:11:09 PM
(0)
Master

TonySturch wrote:

If you make the changes above, make sure you also turn off the secure socket in SUPL settings. I found this made the difference for me.

TonySturch wrote:

If you make the changes above, make sure you also turn off the secure socket in SUPL settings. I found this made the difference for me.

8 of 212 (14,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 6:43:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I gave up and took the phone back. I ended up asking for another Captivate. I tried the GPS at the store and it didn't work any better.

Left the store and used the fix mentioned above in this thread - which I had tried along with many other fixes on the old phone - and the new one now has a good GPS lock in about 10 seconds. 

There are some things about this new unit which make me think it was of a different/new build than the old one.

I gave up and took the phone back. I ended up asking for another Captivate. I tried the GPS at the store and it didn't work any better.

Left the store and used the fix mentioned above in this thread - which I had tried along with many other fixes on the old phone - and the new one now has a good GPS lock in about 10 seconds. 

There are some things about this new unit which make me think it was of a different/new build than the old one.

9 of 212 (14,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 7:55:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
I would be interrelated interested to hear if anyone has a good gps. Is it just a few peoplethat are experiencing this or its it all phones? I am experiencing poor locks even after the above fix. mine seems to work better during the dayand worse at night and dawn and dusk.

So I am thinking about swapping it out but I don't know if I will get a better one ot not.
I would be interrelated interested to hear if anyone has a good gps. Is it just a few peoplethat are experiencing this or its it all phones? I am experiencing poor locks even after the above fix. mine seems to work better during the dayand worse at night and dawn and dusk.

So I am thinking about swapping it out but I don't know if I will get a better one ot not.

10 of 212 (14,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 6:25:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Two days ago there was an update on my phone for google maps. I downloaded it and now my GPS works perfect.

Two days ago there was an update on my phone for google maps. I downloaded it and now my GPS works perfect.

11 of 212 (8,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 7:01:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

That hack sure didn't work for me.  I tried it several times and even tried a different port # I had read about on another site.  There is just something wrong with it somewhere and hopefully it's just software...but who knows?

That hack sure didn't work for me.  I tried it several times and even tried a different port # I had read about on another site.  There is just something wrong with it somewhere and hopefully it's just software...but who knows?

12 of 212 (8,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 7:04:04 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vidguy7 on Jul 24, 2010 at 7:05:56 AM

I think the lock is very variable.  Sometimes it does lock within about 10 seconds and other times it doesn't.  Has anyone tried to look at their pictures with the geotagging that uses the GPS?  It's almost hysterical.  Even though the picture shows it was geotagged, when you look at where it tagged you, it turns out to be in the middle of the Indian ocean!  I kid you not.  You'll need software that's capable of reading the geotagging.  I use Sony's Picture Motion Browser.

So even though you think you have a GPS lock, the camera sure does't show that.  I got an accurate location on my pictures for about 1 in 10 pictures.  For my 3GS phone, I get a proper lock in about 19 out of 20 pictures.  Go figure.

I think the lock is very variable.  Sometimes it does lock within about 10 seconds and other times it doesn't.  Has anyone tried to look at their pictures with the geotagging that uses the GPS?  It's almost hysterical.  Even though the picture shows it was geotagged, when you look at where it tagged you, it turns out to be in the middle of the Indian ocean!  I kid you not.  You'll need software that's capable of reading the geotagging.  I use Sony's Picture Motion Browser.

So even though you think you have a GPS lock, the camera sure does't show that.  I got an accurate location on my pictures for about 1 in 10 pictures.  For my 3GS phone, I get a proper lock in about 19 out of 20 pictures.  Go figure.

[ Edited ]
13 of 212 (8,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 9:50:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, this is very broken.  None of the hacks work for me at all.  In fact, the addition of "unsecure" seemed to make it worse.  It has me in the right town.  That's good.  I think it has me standing at the bottom of the cell tower north of here.

Yeah, this is very broken.  None of the hacks work for me at all.  In fact, the addition of "unsecure" seemed to make it worse.  It has me in the right town.  That's good.  I think it has me standing at the bottom of the cell tower north of here.

14 of 212 (7,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 11:12:04 AM
(0)
Explorer

15 of 212 (7,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 12:13:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Again I can valadite this update. Mine came the other day. On the phone it had an update for google gps. Since then my gps and google maps is working perfectly.

Again I can valadite this update. Mine came the other day. On the phone it had an update for google gps. Since then my gps and google maps is working perfectly.

16 of 212 (7,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 7:39:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

this is not an att issue, it is definitely a samsung issue.  i have a samsung vibrant on t-mobile and popped over here to see if you guys were experiencing the same problems we were.  sure enough, you are.

more info on the gps issue for the samsung captivate cousin, the vibrant:  http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsung-Vibrant/GPS-issues-Please-let-Tmobile-know/td-p/423427

this is not an att issue, it is definitely a samsung issue.  i have a samsung vibrant on t-mobile and popped over here to see if you guys were experiencing the same problems we were.  sure enough, you are.

more info on the gps issue for the samsung captivate cousin, the vibrant:  http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsung-Vibrant/GPS-issues-Please-let-Tmobile-know/td-p/423427

17 of 212 (7,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 8:51:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

I checked for the update to google maps and I'm running the latest version as of this date (version 4.4).  So far no change; GPS is still HORRIBLE.

I'm a bit annoyed...  I'm still within my 30 day period, but this needs to be fixed soon or I'll have to take it back..  After that it's iphone or move to another provider....

I checked for the update to google maps and I'm running the latest version as of this date (version 4.4).  So far no change; GPS is still HORRIBLE.

I'm a bit annoyed...  I'm still within my 30 day period, but this needs to be fixed soon or I'll have to take it back..  After that it's iphone or move to another provider....

18 of 212 (7,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 7:24:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Good news: I wrote to Samsung and got a level three technical reponse after many attempts at a straight answer. they  confirmed  to me in an email that they acknowledge there is "an issue" with the gps for US customers and they are working on a priority basis to get an OTA fix out. But they did not give timing. This puts many of us in the "30 day" conundrum, whether to return this to att or not. I also have issues with exchange mail setttings beingg lsot every 3-5 days or so., an issue acknowledged on other sites Looks like they released this one too early. Question: why did none of the "reviewers" catch these issues?

Good news: I wrote to Samsung and got a level three technical reponse after many attempts at a straight answer. they  confirmed  to me in an email that they acknowledge there is "an issue" with the gps for US customers and they are working on a priority basis to get an OTA fix out. But they did not give timing. This puts many of us in the "30 day" conundrum, whether to return this to att or not. I also have issues with exchange mail setttings beingg lsot every 3-5 days or so., an issue acknowledged on other sites Looks like they released this one too early. Question: why did none of the "reviewers" catch these issues?

19 of 212 (6,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 7:40:48 AM
(0)
Master

Any OTA update needs to go through AT&T (they are the ones do the OTA). I doubt you will see this within 30 days even if Samsung fixed all the bugs today.

Any OTA update needs to go through AT&T (they are the ones do the OTA). I doubt you will see this within 30 days even if Samsung fixed all the bugs today.

20 of 212 (6,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 12:25:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Don't know if this makes a difference to anyone else but, my gps was working fine until I enabled latitude. Now I cannot not delete latitude. Only turn off in app or running services. Turning off didn't seem to help. However, Turning off goole voice services (tts) does speed it up a lot though (through running services).

Don't know if this makes a difference to anyone else but, my gps was working fine until I enabled latitude. Now I cannot not delete latitude. Only turn off in app or running services. Turning off didn't seem to help. However, Turning off goole voice services (tts) does speed it up a lot though (through running services).

21 of 212 (6,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 11:22:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

The GPS on this unit is rubbish. Completely unusable and in typical fashion (depending on who you speak with) Samsung and ATT either pretend they don't know about the problem, blame it on the other company or say they do realize there is a problem and that they are working on a fix with absolutely no timeline. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE UNTIL THEY SORT THIS OUT!

The GPS on this unit is rubbish. Completely unusable and in typical fashion (depending on who you speak with) Samsung and ATT either pretend they don't know about the problem, blame it on the other company or say they do realize there is a problem and that they are working on a fix with absolutely no timeline. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE UNTIL THEY SORT THIS OUT!

23 of 212 (6,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 12:10:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

I guess I am not having the same issues as some of you. As long as my settings are set to use gps, then my phone tracks me realtime as I walk around the house and garden, can't say for driving as I have not tested that yet. I downloaded the power manager to my dash board from andoid apps group and that allows me to quickly toggle gps on and off as needed.

I guess I am not having the same issues as some of you. As long as my settings are set to use gps, then my phone tracks me realtime as I walk around the house and garden, can't say for driving as I have not tested that yet. I downloaded the power manager to my dash board from andoid apps group and that allows me to quickly toggle gps on and off as needed.

24 of 212 (6,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 5:39:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

It is odd because mine appears to work fine also.  I get a coarse location <10 seconds and a fine location <15 seconds outside or in windshield of car.  I always seem to find 8+ sats and use 5-7.  Have tried it in the car moving 55 mph and it tracks me fine except it appears to lag behaind my actual location a little.  The accuracy according the GPS Test App is 16 ft for the fine location fix.  I have not tried it in the middle of a city with tall buildings.

It is obvious that many are having issues but it makes me wonder what differences there might be.  I have not used mine extensively, so perhaps I would also see an issue if I used it more, but some appear to have problems all the time.  If all these phones suffer from the same defect, it makes you wonder what the differences are that are causing the issues.

p.s.  I have not altered any of the GPS setttings except to check the settings for use of GPS and wireless networks.  I also have always used it in areas where I had 3g but not sure if that should make any difference since it appears from other posts that the GPS receiver is running in standalone mode.

It is odd because mine appears to work fine also.  I get a coarse location <10 seconds and a fine location <15 seconds outside or in windshield of car.  I always seem to find 8+ sats and use 5-7.  Have tried it in the car moving 55 mph and it tracks me fine except it appears to lag behaind my actual location a little.  The accuracy according the GPS Test App is 16 ft for the fine location fix.  I have not tried it in the middle of a city with tall buildings.

It is obvious that many are having issues but it makes me wonder what differences there might be.  I have not used mine extensively, so perhaps I would also see an issue if I used it more, but some appear to have problems all the time.  If all these phones suffer from the same defect, it makes you wonder what the differences are that are causing the issues.

p.s.  I have not altered any of the GPS setttings except to check the settings for use of GPS and wireless networks.  I also have always used it in areas where I had 3g but not sure if that should make any difference since it appears from other posts that the GPS receiver is running in standalone mode.

29 of 212 (6,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:41:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

How bad is the situation guys ?

I think I would mostly use the GPS to find out the nearest gas station / store / restaurant etc..... so a few extra seconds is okay as long as it does the job accurately.....

I really like this phone, but no GPS is a bummer. Do you think its so bad that I cannot use it at all ?

Do we have a success rate on the fix that everyone is talking about ?

How bad is the situation guys ?

I think I would mostly use the GPS to find out the nearest gas station / store / restaurant etc..... so a few extra seconds is okay as long as it does the job accurately.....

I really like this phone, but no GPS is a bummer. Do you think its so bad that I cannot use it at all ?

Do we have a success rate on the fix that everyone is talking about ?

36 of 212 (6,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:03:20 AM
(0)
Master

The so-called 'fix' only fixes initial lock. None can fix the tracking accuracy problem when you actually drive in a car and use it to navigate. I'd say it is not usable as a navigation device. It's probably ok if you just want to find yourself on the map while stationary.

The so-called 'fix' only fixes initial lock. None can fix the tracking accuracy problem when you actually drive in a car and use it to navigate. I'd say it is not usable as a navigation device. It's probably ok if you just want to find yourself on the map while stationary.

37 of 212 (6,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:23:38 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the tip on the GPS app. Very cool. My lock takes less then 3 secs. On average 9 in view 8 in use. The lock speed on this app is much quicker than both google maps and att maps (att being faster than google) which leads me to think the issues are code related versus hardware.

Thanks for the tip on the GPS app. Very cool. My lock takes less then 3 secs. On average 9 in view 8 in use. The lock speed on this app is much quicker than both google maps and att maps (att being faster than google) which leads me to think the issues are code related versus hardware.

38 of 212 (6,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:40:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc. Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!! Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc. Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!! Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

40 of 212 (6,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 12:05:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue w/ GPS. I is kinda of funny at time. I can be driving and take a curve and the GPS will keep going straight and eventually it will works its way back and then a little while latter it will drift again. I use Trapster and it is really bad w/ it. Google map is a little better but still has issues. I have tried standing in my driveway for almost 5 minutes waiting on the intial lock. Forget it as far as getting a lock inside. My old samsung eternity(dumb phone) gets a lock in a few second when put next to the Captivate.

I have the same issue w/ GPS. I is kinda of funny at time. I can be driving and take a curve and the GPS will keep going straight and eventually it will works its way back and then a little while latter it will drift again. I use Trapster and it is really bad w/ it. Google map is a little better but still has issues. I have tried standing in my driveway for almost 5 minutes waiting on the intial lock. Forget it as far as getting a lock inside. My old samsung eternity(dumb phone) gets a lock in a few second when put next to the Captivate.

42 of 212 (6,282 Views)