The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

I am aware "Its not a new trick."  Simply tried it, working for me & wanted to share my experience.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

13 years ago

@Zandora wrote:

You remove "early adopter" when at Captivate II. Basically, if the first time you buy a product you buy the 2nd generation of that product then you're not considered an early adopter.

Thats what I was pointing out. A name is a name.... Samsung has been making the product (GPS Cell phones) for a very long time.   One might say that the captivate is a keybordless 3rd version of the Behold / Moment / Captivate.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

13 years ago

Just wanted to give an update.   I just got off the phone with a Samsung Rep and they said that “GPS fix is in the final phases of testing and should be available for download and via carrier transmission this month”   This will mark the 4th gps fix push by Samsung.  I went back and forth with her about what if the problem is Hardware and not software.   She would not budge saying that “this can only be a software issue.”

I met someone else over the weekend with a captivate and theirs locked on in seconds and held the lock as we drove down a few blocks to a coffee house via Google nav.  That said, I no longer doubt that others have perfect/semi perfect working GPS on their phones.  I just know that many still do not.  This deeply concerns me.  All things the same software wise how could some work and some not? 

Anyone with a working captivate, what was its manufacture date… I’m wondering if they

A) had a bad batch of gps chips

B) had a batch of gps chips from a different manufacture and didn’t write the code correctly for the 2nd batch.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

13 years ago

@skahead wrote:

Just wanted to give an update.   I just got off the phone with a Samsung Rep and they said that “GPS fix is in the final phases of testing and should be available for download and via carrier transmission this month”   This will mark the 4th gps fix push by Samsung.  I went back and forth with her about what if the problem is Hardware and not software.   She would not budge saying that “this can only be a software issue.”

I met someone else over the weekend with a captivate and theirs locked on in seconds and held the lock as we drove down a few blocks to a coffee house via Google nav.  That said, I no longer doubt that others have perfect/semi perfect working GPS on their phones.  I just know that many still do not.  This deeply concerns me.  All things the same software wise how could some work and some not? 

Anyone with a working captivate, what was its manufacture date… I’m wondering if they

A) had a bad batch of gps chips

B) had a batch of gps chips from a different manufacture and didn’t write the code correctly for the 2nd batch.

I'd like to know the same and the firmware & rev level of the working Captivates as well.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

our captivate has never locked on and GPS is completely unusable.  It literally has NEVER locked on.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

The idea of a bad lot of GPS chips occurred to me early on. Let us all just hope that Samsung (and AT&T) are savy enough to get the lot number/firmware/hardware numbers off of the phones that are returned as not having a working GPS so that they can figure out what the possible source of the problem is. It's basic debugging, but sometimes folks don't do it, thinking that it will always be a hardware problem.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

13 years ago

Samsung has released a new app in the Android market... search for "GPSRestore Samsung" it claims to address some of the GPS issues for Vibrant & Captivate. I have D/L and installed the app and it does seem to make a difference in the GPS acquisition and lock times. The real test will be is the accuracy and tracking improved?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

The  app description says it restores the original GPS config file if it has been modified by lbsTestMode. So, what it does is reset you back to orginal state. The only reason you use lbsTestMode to change settings is because the original settings doesn't give you satisfactory GPS performance in the first place. So, this is useless for obvious reason.

The GPS issue is beyond what a simple settings change can fix. If it were so, Samsung could come up with a fix 3 months ago.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

13 years ago

Just got off the line with a level 3 tech in Texas (not India.)   He said that Samsungs Froyo fixes the issue; however Froyo has introduced a plethora of errors in other parts of the phone and they are currently working out the bugs.   He would not lock into a date of release but said that he already has it on his phone and has a feeling it will be this month. This leaves me to believe that Samsung gave up on fixing the issue in 2.1 and put their focus to rewrite the drivers for 2.2.  It also leads me to believe we will never get 3.0.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

Your fix fails for me. As soon as I enter the last character you provide in my phone dialer the screen simply reverts back to enter a number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.