The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

13 years ago

Its funny,  I left a review on Samsungs website about the phone being a great phone but having major GPS issues.  They wont post it because I said in the review that "thus far they have tried 2 fixes and at least on my unit it has not worked."

I said as it stands the phone is a 3 out of 5... it would be a 4 out of 5 with gps working.

If they wont post my review I guess you really can't trust samsungs reviews online.   

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Do you folks think that the GPS issue is a hardware problem or a software problem or a settings problem?

From what I have seen over the past months I have to conclude that either:

1) Samsung's GPS chip supplier delivered some portion of their chips that were bad. This is based on the idea that some folks have Captivates that worked fine from day one.

2) The quality control when the phones were assembled is really poor and some of the work was shoddy.

3) They didn't do a very good job of testing and for the phone to work you have to have a specific combination of settings set to specific values for everything to work correctly.

What do you all think?

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

This issue is all driver, the captivate I am running right now could not get a lock with any previous update or hack. I would be able to get a couple of locks after a factory reset but even those would take ten minutes. I am currently running the froyo leak and the gps is perfect, fast and accurate locks, gps is fixed in froyo at least in the beta AT&T leak. Froyo was released overseas bit was pulled due to some bugs, it is only speculation to say they were gps issues.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry, GPS is not fixed in any Froyo build yet. You may get a fix but you still can't get a decent accuracy while driving.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

Well I donr know what roms you have flashed but the one I am running is great, my navigation is spot on and even on heavily covered backroads I am getting accuracy to within ten meters and on highway I have not even had a drift. What info do you have that says that gps has not been fixed yet? I can say that after jh7, my gps was worse than it was originally. With the function I am getting now there had to be some remedy even at the stage of this rom being leaked. Also what are your qualifications to have the title cell phone master?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

@tylerdurdin wrote:
What info do you have that says that gps has not been fixed yet?

My own experience and experiences of many others. I'm on JI6 ROM and the same can the said for International version of JPM which is supposed to be the official 2.2 release until it is pulled in the last minute.

Note, the GPS issue affects different phones differently. Just because your phone behaves better doesn't mean it is a fix for everyone else.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

I agree with you completely, but thats the point, the small amount of people running custom roms are hardly a voice for a million phones. almost everyone i have talked too running a 2.2 variant says their gps is up and good, with the exception of 2.2 roms that have had the gps tweaked by a Dev. From what I have read there is no indication that GPS was the issue for them pulling the update. I will say that a few hacked 2.2 releases do have a faulty gps, but the early october release I have, has to have something right in the stew.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Folks, I am afraid that some Captivates have hardware problems. Apparently, some are good. I tried 1 vibrant and 5 captivate. The GPS in my final captivate is working quite well. I tired GPS Test. It helped. But it is not as good as GPS Status and Toolbox. I recently reset my phone and it took 10-15 min to lock. After that, I can lock within seconds. I can lock 6-8 satellites even inside my house. If this does not work, you have a GPS problem. Return it and get another android phone. That is my advice.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

When my first device was new It locked for the first week, and then , nothing. A friend got two new devices same story worked for a week then nothing. For some reason it seems that most of the devices act this way, which is why people think when they get a new device it is fixed. Users should not have to use apps like GPS TEST and Toolbox to  make anything function correctly. The froyo I am running has nothing applied and is still working great. If you want to really test your gps toggle it on and off a couple of times, shut off wifi assistance, and then launch google navigator with the gps set to off so that the phone prompts you to turn it on. I have successfully got every captivate I have messed with to fail to lock using this method of testing. I even did it on a brand new device in front of a AT&T associate. It may work a couple of times but as soon as that error gets cached, GPS is done. For a successful gps at this point the only thing I have ever seen that has worked is from a brand new device, once we got a lock we left the GPS on, with google location sevices and wifi, never had a issue, used the navigator everyday for work and the places app for going out to dinner at night. All stayed well until the first time i shut the gps off.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry, has to dis-agree. As long as there are multiple instances of reported GPS issues still exist in 2.2 Froyo, it is not fixed in my book. Most ppl don't even know how to properly test the GPS issue in the first place. I know the official 2.2 is not pulled for GPS problem but for other issues. And reports I have read indicates that Samsung is still working on GPS issues. There are long list of complaints of GPS problem getting worse for the so-called official Froyo update in XDA i9000 forum.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.