Captivate - GPS Issues

Teacher

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Message 1 of 212 (18,072 Views)
Master

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

Neither refurb, nor 2.2 will have GPS fixed. Samsung is still working on it.

Message 181 of 212 (3,730 Views)
Mentor

Its funny,  I left a review on Samsungs website about the phone being a great phone but having major GPS issues.  They wont post it because I said in the review that "thus far they have tried 2 fixes and at least on my unit it has not worked."

I said as it stands the phone is a 3 out of 5... it would be a 4 out of 5 with gps working.

If they wont post my review I guess you really can't trust samsungs reviews online.   

Message 182 of 212 (3,628 Views)

Do you folks think that the GPS issue is a hardware problem or a software problem or a settings problem?

From what I have seen over the past months I have to conclude that either:

1) Samsung's GPS chip supplier delivered some portion of their chips that were bad. This is based on the idea that some folks have Captivates that worked fine from day one.

2) The quality control when the phones were assembled is really poor and some of the work was shoddy.

3) They didn't do a very good job of testing and for the phone to work you have to have a specific combination of settings set to specific values for everything to work correctly.

What do you all think?

Message 183 of 212 (3,498 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

This issue is all driver, the captivate I am running right now could not get a lock with any previous update or hack. I would be able to get a couple of locks after a factory reset but even those would take ten minutes. I am currently running the froyo leak and the gps is perfect, fast and accurate locks, gps is fixed in froyo at least in the beta AT&T leak. Froyo was released overseas bit was pulled due to some bugs, it is only speculation to say they were gps issues.
Message 184 of 212 (3,489 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Sorry, GPS is not fixed in any Froyo build yet. You may get a fix but you still can't get a decent accuracy while driving.

Message 185 of 212 (3,469 Views)
Mentor

Well I donr know what roms you have flashed but the one I am running is great, my navigation is spot on and even on heavily covered backroads I am getting accuracy to within ten meters and on highway I have not even had a drift. What info do you have that says that gps has not been fixed yet? I can say that after jh7, my gps was worse than it was originally. With the function I am getting now there had to be some remedy even at the stage of this rom being leaked. Also what are your qualifications to have the title cell phone master?
Message 186 of 212 (3,446 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

tylerdurdin wrote:
What info do you have that says that gps has not been fixed yet?

My own experience and experiences of many others. I'm on JI6 ROM and the same can the said for International version of JPM which is supposed to be the official 2.2 release until it is pulled in the last minute.

Note, the GPS issue affects different phones differently. Just because your phone behaves better doesn't mean it is a fix for everyone else.

Message 187 of 212 (3,443 Views)
Mentor

I agree with you completely, but thats the point, the small amount of people running custom roms are hardly a voice for a million phones. almost everyone i have talked too running a 2.2 variant says their gps is up and good, with the exception of 2.2 roms that have had the gps tweaked by a Dev. From what I have read there is no indication that GPS was the issue for them pulling the update. I will say that a few hacked 2.2 releases do have a faulty gps, but the early october release I have, has to have something right in the stew.

Message 188 of 212 (3,343 Views)

Re: GPS fix?

Folks, I am afraid that some Captivates have hardware problems. Apparently, some are good. I tried 1 vibrant and 5 captivate. The GPS in my final captivate is working quite well. I tired GPS Test. It helped. But it is not as good as GPS Status and Toolbox. I recently reset my phone and it took 10-15 min to lock. After that, I can lock within seconds. I can lock 6-8 satellites even inside my house. If this does not work, you have a GPS problem. Return it and get another android phone. That is my advice.

Message 189 of 212 (3,330 Views)
Mentor

When my first device was new It locked for the first week, and then , nothing. A friend got two new devices same story worked for a week then nothing. For some reason it seems that most of the devices act this way, which is why people think when they get a new device it is fixed. Users should not have to use apps like GPS TEST and Toolbox to  make anything function correctly. The froyo I am running has nothing applied and is still working great. If you want to really test your gps toggle it on and off a couple of times, shut off wifi assistance, and then launch google navigator with the gps set to off so that the phone prompts you to turn it on. I have successfully got every captivate I have messed with to fail to lock using this method of testing. I even did it on a brand new device in front of a AT&T associate. It may work a couple of times but as soon as that error gets cached, GPS is done. For a successful gps at this point the only thing I have ever seen that has worked is from a brand new device, once we got a lock we left the GPS on, with google location sevices and wifi, never had a issue, used the navigator everyday for work and the places app for going out to dinner at night. All stayed well until the first time i shut the gps off.

Message 190 of 212 (3,320 Views)
Master

Sorry, has to dis-agree. As long as there are multiple instances of reported GPS issues still exist in 2.2 Froyo, it is not fixed in my book. Most ppl don't even know how to properly test the GPS issue in the first place. I know the official 2.2 is not pulled for GPS problem but for other issues. And reports I have read indicates that Samsung is still working on GPS issues. There are long list of complaints of GPS problem getting worse for the so-called official Froyo update in XDA i9000 forum.

Message 191 of 212 (3,873 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

tylerdurdin wrote:

When my first device was new It locked for the first week, and then , nothing. A friend got two new devices same story worked for a week then nothing. For some reason it seems that most of the devices act this way, which is why people think when they get a new device it is fixed. Users should not have to use apps like GPS TEST and Toolbox to  make anything function correctly. The froyo I am running has nothing applied and is still working great. If you want to really test your gps toggle it on and off a couple of times, shut off wifi assistance, and then launch google navigator with the gps set to off so that the phone prompts you to turn it on. I have successfully got every captivate I have messed with to fail to lock using this method of testing. I even did it on a brand new device in front of a AT&T associate. It may work a couple of times but as soon as that error gets cached, GPS is done. For a successful gps at this point the only thing I have ever seen that has worked is from a brand new device, once we got a lock we left the GPS on, with google location sevices and wifi, never had a issue, used the navigator everyday for work and the places app for going out to dinner at night. All stayed well until the first time i shut the gps off.

If you're in any product business, the first product in a product line is usually buggy. So "early adopters", the ones that buy the first product, usually end up being beta testers, whether they want to be or not. So, if you don't like working through bugs, then wait for release 2 of a product, don't buy the "first" of whatever, whether it be a 3D TV or a cell phone with a new-to-market OS. If you do buy the first release of a product, then you pretty much have to suck it up and live/work through the fixes. Early adopters are the bug finders, so to speak, to go along with their bragging rights.

That said, if the GPS had not worked from Day 1 and ever since on my Captivate, I would have returned it for either another phone or another brand of phone within my trial period.

I came from using the original Tilt (did not upgrade to Tilt II) -- which always needed GPS Test to jumpstart the GPS chip in the phone. My Tilt locked every time with GPS Test, never without. So, it made sense to me to install GPS Test on my Android, even before I used it the first time. So when I first started GPS on my Captivate and it didn't lock, the next thing I did was open GPS Test, and it got the lock right away. Maybe I've had good luck because GPS Test did something to the phone/gps chip that kept it working fine. Don't know. And it's been very accurate at the street level. Even through the JH7 upgrade.

Anyway, my point is that early adopters in all industries pay the price of living through buggy first-release devices. It just comes with the territory. No product is ever perfect at the first release. So as early adopters, you gotta do what you gotta do to make your phone work the way you want, even though it doesn't seem fair. That's the price one pays to be an early adopter. If you don't like that price, become a late adopter, and all the issues will have been worked out by the time you get it.

Message 192 of 212 (3,835 Views)
Mentor

Zandora wrote:

Anyway, my point is that early adopters in all industries pay the price of living through buggy first-release devices. It just comes with the territory. No product is ever perfect at the first release. So as early adopters, you gotta do what you gotta do to make your phone work the way you want, even though it doesn't seem fair. That's the price one pays to be an early adopter. If you don't like that price, become a late adopter, and all the issues will have been worked out by the time you get it.

I’m not entirely sure I understand your argument;   this is not Samsungs first GSM phone with GPS.  It’s not even their first Android phone with GPS.  They have had a few before hand and should be able to produce working products.  Samsung has been making GPS cell phones for well over 5 years… when do we remove the early adopter sticker from them?  

I had my weekly phone call with Samsung support.  The guy seemed tiered of hearing about GPS problems and said that he sent the message up the pipe but has been told there is no fix in the immediate future.   That leaves me to think that the Froyo patch they are reading in the next few weeks will not have it.

Message 193 of 212 (3,802 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

You remove "early adopter" when at Captivate II. Basically, if the first time you buy a product you buy the 2nd generation of that product then you're not considered an early adopter.

Message 194 of 212 (3,771 Views)

Well I am running JI6 Froyo and I did notice that after 30-40 mins my GPS would work perfectly fine but once I shut it down it would go back to its routine of a good initial lock but no tracking whatsoever so to me it seem like the GPS needs to "warm up" I dunno why I am hesitant to do a exchange cause I really don't want a refurb phone but if the "official" release of Froyo doesn't fix I defiantly will do a exchange to me GPS is on a secondary feature that I need 2-3x per year so I will wait for the official 2.2 update.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 195 of 212 (3,765 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.